Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:48:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Squids (my very first game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space Squids (my very first game)  (Read 1163 times)
ignaciobalbuena
Level 0

Score!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »

Well, after all this time playing indie games, I decided to try to develop a very simple game using Game Maker, having no background in computers at all, just a great passion for all this stuff (chiptunes, low res pixel art, blabla) . After a night of reading tutorials I came up with this concept, which I´m trying to expand into a complete game, small and simple and in a single screen, and done with a 10% of knowledge of what Game Maker is capable of (and no coding, just drag and drop, 99%.9%), I just wanted to do something quick I could play. So if you are gonna say "this sucks. you suck. forget game design forever", try to be gentle =)

Here´s the general idea.

You are the little blue astronaut in the middle. Your goal is to capture the colored squids (which actually are animated to change color in an epileptic fashion), while avoiding the red squids, and the bullets from the bigger squids, which fire everytime you catch a colored squid.

Catching colored squids and avoiding red squids gives you score. Touching red squids and bullets kill you.

The only controls are left and right to move.

This is the title screen I doodled

Tools Used:

Game Maker 8 for design and "programming" (drag and drop only)
Photoshop and Game Maker for Pixel Art and animation
Ableton Live as audio sequencer, using Rebirth for programming drums and 8 bit plugins to generate synths

Things I'd like to do:

Add powerups or a gun of some kind.

More enemies

Actually use the scoring system for something, probably a highscore list, or using score as a way to go trough levels, enemies just popup at random over time and execute an action.

Design 4 levels, which will feature different background image, different background music and different enemies.

a boss in the end.

life bar with 3 bars, three lifes, no continues

Cut scenes telling a simple story about an astronaut hunting rare squids and fighting for survival.

Tell me what you think!

here's a playable demo:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BLZ26XJK

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:12:21 PM by ignaciobalbuena » Logged

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:43:37 PM »

a 50mb download may be a turn-off for some folks (myself included)
do you really have that much content in the game?
ignaciobalbuena
Level 0

Score!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:30:24 AM »

a couple of backgrounds, a handful of sprites and two short songs in .wav, that's all. I don't really know why it ends up being so heavy when compiling the .exe, any ideas? the heavier files are the music files, but still most game maker games I know are just a couple of mb. what i'm doing wrong?

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »

a couple of backgrounds, a handful of sprites and two short songs in .wav, that's all. I don't really know why it ends up being so heavy when compiling the .exe, any ideas?

Don't use wav files; they are uncompressed and huge. Use mp3 or ogg. (Disclaimer: I've never used Game Maker, but I'm sure it must have mp3 support.)

ignaciobalbuena
Level 0

Score!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 10:45:03 AM »

I'm pretty sure it has mp3 support. I'll provide a new version soon.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic