Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:24:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopthatshelby learns to make models
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: thatshelby learns to make models  (Read 3469 times)
Theophilus
« on: December 28, 2011, 08:13:20 PM »

With BLENDAR

12.28.11 - Mushroom

Please give me criticism. Thank you.
Theophilus
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 11:53:25 AM »

(cross posting from my thread on PolyCount)

I feel that I am improving, even through 2 days of work. I made this banana earlier today:

Tex size: 128^2
Verts: 6
Edges: 8
Polys: 8
Tris: 8

In retrospect, I feel I went a lot overboard as far as making it low-poly. I started with two 4-sided pyramids, stretched the tip, removed the bottom face and tied them together.

I should have started with 8-sided pyramids and attached them in 3 segments instead of 2.

On the plus side, I feel I did better with the texture (though that may be because it was stupid simple)
Theophilus
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 05:40:05 PM »

I redid the banana.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 06:33:11 PM »

Nice, I like both bananas more then I like the mushroom.  I think I like the texture for the first banana better though, the sticker and the brown on the ends helps it.  The model for the second banana seems much better though.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 06:42:43 PM »

I like the mushroom but the texture is very muddy. You're probably better served with crisper circles rather than blobs - and I think the underside of the mushroom could use some lines to indicate the folds where the spores go? Maybe that's pushing it. Smiley
Theophilus
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 07:55:48 PM »

Hey, thanks for the feedback everyone.

Over on PolyCount, I've been learning a lot about maximising UV texture space. So I made a simple model and played around with moving UV coords and such:

I'll probably have another crack at the mushroom.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »

Care to link your PolyCount thread?
Theophilus
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1491406

Someone said my diamond texture was lacking. . . What can I really do to make it better? It's a pretty plain sort of thing.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 09:34:54 PM »

if it were a drawing I would try to make it so the middle of the diamond where the diamond is "thicker" darker.  I don't really know how this idea transfers to a texture but it seems like there should be a way to do it.
Theophilus
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 03:05:41 PM »

Quick and dirty model for today:

It's an orange. Texture is awful. Too shiny.
Theophilus
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to unwrap this thing. Can I get any help?

Designed to be some sort of lookout tower. I learned a lot while doing this! I discovered a handy trick for quickly duplicating vertices: Extrude, press escape, then scale the vertices down.

Verts: 36
Edges: 128
Tris: 88
Theophilus
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 11:41:07 PM »

Bandages
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 11:45:11 PM »

heyyy that looks like a banana in more ways than your first banana looked like a banana

banana.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 07:08:50 AM »

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to unwrap this thing. Can I get any help?

Designed to be some sort of lookout tower. I learned a lot while doing this! I discovered a handy trick for quickly duplicating vertices: Extrude, press escape, then scale the vertices down.

Verts: 36
Edges: 128
Tris: 88

What I would do.. go into Ortho side or Front view. select the faces visible to you. then Unwrap -> Project from View, then do the same for the top face (from Ortho Top View)
Theophilus
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »

What about the inside faces?
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »

I dunno... I'd probably mark seams on them around the top and bottoms of the struts and unwrap them. For the inside floor/ceiling, project from view with ortho top should work fine. I'm not an expert though and I wish someone else would weigh in  Tongue
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 02:51:44 AM »

Well, you can just give the inside faces their own unwrapping, no?

I'd say slow down though, man. Master simpler things first and then slowly work your way up. It's like you're trying to climb a mountain without first being able to climb a hill.

Also uhhh, your "lookout tower"'s shape totally reminds me of a trashcan as it is, not a tower of any kind.

Theophilus
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 09:49:49 AM »

I'd say slow down though, man. Master simpler things first and then slowly work your way up. It's like you're trying to climb a mountain without first being able to climb a hill.

I don't think that. What should I do if I'm not? Sometimes you have to throw yourself into the deep end to learn how to swim.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »

heyyy that looks like a banana in more ways than your first banana looked like a banana

banana.
banana is the best word.

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »

I don't think that. What should I do if I'm not? Sometimes you have to throw yourself into the deep end to learn how to swim.

yeah I'm with shelby on this one. I had no blender experience and launched myself in headfirst, I think it was helpful.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic