Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 09:19:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDeadly Rooms
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Deadly Rooms  (Read 3593 times)
Evilized
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:16:29 AM »

This is my Devlog for my new game "Deadly Rooms" a topdown survival horror game.

I have never made a Devlog or blog before although I have made quite some games now.
Deadly Rooms is my latest project and it's a horror genre once again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Story:

The story is about a prostitute that wakes up in a filthy room full of blood and maggots
with no clue how she got there. there are no windows only walls covered in blood and a single door.

The game is viewed topdown and the main goal of the game will be surviving these rooms filled with evil and danger.Some rooms will have no danger at all but others will and some will be visible like toxic stuff on the ground and lasers switching on and off. other rooms will have tiles on the ground which will launch spikes from the wall. sometimes the room will be destroyed by bugs that will come random from the wall.

All you need to do is get to the next room within 60 seconds and alive.
There's an exit in every room, but sometimes you need to solve a puzzle to unlock the door.

The picture above shows the gameplay screen original made for ipad but also for flash, on the ground you can see maggots coming from the toilet. these maggots will crawl all over the place, you can step on them and squiz em.

Engine:

I created an engine where you start in the first room.
That room will always be the same room,but once you enter the door to the next room you will go to a random room on the list of 70 rooms.This way you will never have to go through the same rooms everytime you start over.

With 3 lives in your pocket you will need to find the near exit as soon as possible.
You will have one button to to explore things.
Like when your standing next to an object and you press the button the object will move or react on it. This way hidden passages will be revealed or a trap will be triggerd.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Achievement:

A thing I want to implement into the game are poloroid pictures you can find in different rooms once you pick these up a photo will be shown in the main menu. a picture of a previous murderd prostitute will be shown on that photo when clicked. it will show some information about that person how they died which room and who they were.

Other achievements I will implement are things like "You have been playing this game for xxx hours now" Andthings you acomplished during the game.

I will keep you all updated on my project.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:53:28 PM by Evilized » Logged

Ben Aprigliano/Game developer/portal owner

Please leave some feedback on my latest project "Deadly Rooms"
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=23607.0
Evilized
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 11:39:35 PM »

First update:

I created an example of one of the poloroid photo's I want to use in the game and that can be found in different rooms. when you collect a certain photo and return to the main menu screen. after 10 second a screen will appear with 15 photo's that are hidden unless you find the photo's in the game.

I also included a creepy intro screen, which is still not certain if it will be in the final release of the game.

Evilized
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:50:14 PM »

I noticed that I am using too much large png's for my game so the file sze is going through the roof! managed to bring them down from 29mb to 13mb but it's still too much and there's even no music there yet. going to find some ways to make is smaller.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:01:02 PM »

Try to lower your color count.
Also, for sound, use OGG if possible. Small filesize and good quality playback.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 10:05:45 PM »

Hmmm. Why a prostitute? Does she have a name?

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 10:13:25 PM »

It's a shame that the non-gameplay screens are so pretty and the game itself is so not.
Evilized
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 10:26:38 PM »

"Jakman4242" thanks for the tip I have been messing with photoshop settings, turning the objects and pictures into jpg with a decent quality brings the file size back in a huge way. what's ogg?

'Starrift" I choose a prostitute because it's originally made for Ipad and it's a fact when gamers hear prostitute somewhere the first thing they think of is downl;oad download download. that's one reason and I have been thinking of making more players had an idea for a prostitute a drifter and a policeman ect. if you have some brilliant ideas , love to hear them . same as the name, have no clue yet.

"Painting" thanks for your comment it's always good to hear other opinions. I need to bring some more atmosphere into the game. tried to combine to differnent styles like those old game you had 20 years ago where the front of the game had a lifelike style and the game itself was all pixel.

Evilized
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 11:13:06 PM »

Another screen of room number 3 having some nasty lasers and bugs crawling on the floor.Added a mute button and a return to main menu button.

Credits screen

Evilized
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 08:23:07 AM »

I created a small playable version on FGL but the file size seems to ruin this game so far.
created 4 rooms total at the moment, trying to create different rooms with different challenges.

Gonna work on the highscore frame a bit .

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic