Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:21:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborations2D Versus Fighter Needs a Programmer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2D Versus Fighter Needs a Programmer  (Read 1890 times)
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2012, 10:50:05 AM »

Due to an overbearing school schedule, our programmer has been forced to leave our project.  He was a very skilled student, but he chose to leave us rather than drag out his non-involvement which I appreciate the notice, however we find ourselves in need of a programmer for our work-in-progress game. His recommendation was that we find someone skilled in Unity could better handle the workload and AI that we want to put in the game, but other languages work as well. It is a 2D versus fighter, (a la Street Fighter II or Darkstalkers), and has been in production since about March. Originally the game was being produced in Flash, because it was going to be easy to get up and going in Flash and there is a Flash prodcut of where the game is at right now.

We have a strong design document I have updated frequently and a small team dedicated to the project's success. We also have a fair amount of the art assets ready for the first alpha-demo of the game. I am using the template provided in your guidelines to provide as much information as I can publicly in hopes of recruiting a talented programmer.

Team Name / Studio Name: Primordial Labs

Project Name / Tempuary Name: Special Perspective Fighting Game

Current Team: 4 Team Members
Leroy Binks: Project Manager/ Game Designer/ Imagineer. This is my first video game, but not my first creative project I have heralded. I studied communication, creative writing, and television and radio production. I also have graphic design, animation, and editing skills and once upon a time I knew a little programming.
Colin Draun: Animator/ Game Designer. This is his third video game project and my right hand man. He is in school for video game design and also is a capable and talented sound designer. He has some programming knowledge, adapts quickly, and is essential to the process.
Jordan Johnson: Concept Artist/ Game Art. A lot of work for a single man, but with his skills he is more than capable. He has a longer work history than either of us for concept and creative arts, though I think his work speaks for itself.
Brian Allen: Audio Engineer/ Foley Artist. Brian has worked for musicians and studios alike and is beginning his own mobile recording studio. He has recorded live shows, studio performances, and is currently a teacher in the medium of sound recording and foley art as well.

Project Scope & Goals: What we are looking for right now is a playable demo that we can put to a website, post a video, and get some group funding to take to complete status. Whether or not we get said funding, we would like to try to complete the game anyway and have a major portfolio piece for each of us. A demo would look good, but a published game would look great!

Art Style: 2D comic book style art, layered during game play

Story Intro / Preview: This isn't a tournament, this isn't test of skills, this is good ol' fashioned beat down!

Progress So Far: We have a game design document and brief character bios. We have a game logo and work in progress for the home and menu screens. We have the art for the first two characters complete, the animation for one at 95%. We have concept art for all eight characters and half of the levels. We have completed background art for 2 of the levels. We have a Flash version of play that is visually what we would like to see, but the AI is an idiot. (I don't know how else to put it). We have a lot of other art and writing assets that have little impact on the game development, but are important for the marketing and promotion. We have a FB group with weekly discussions and a Box.net account for file sharing.

Recruiting Information: We are looking for a talented, professional programmer with a strong background in AI. The concept is fairly simple, but the dynamics of the game could pose a challenge. The right candidate should have at least one game example. Any background you can give of yourself and your work ethic makes you a better candidate. Team players preferred, no divas please.

Links to a website:
http://www.youtube.com/user/LeroyBinks (Just cause these are fun to watch!)
http://colindraun.wordpress.com/ (Check out his previous game Parallel)
http://www.jordamn.com/ (The strength of the art is in the artist)
http://www.liquid-vibe.com/Biography.html (Sounds good!)

Note: This is not currently a paid position, but a published game would obviously have profit-sharing.
[/i]

There are plenty of pixelated programmers pounding out products of peculiar playability at a prolific pace with purported profits.

This reply has been brought to you today by the letter "P"
bjadams
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »

Do you plan to primarily make a Windows or mobile product?
I am an iOS developer and might be interested, depending on the quality of the artwork and any novelty factor that this game might bring to the beat em up genre.

iOS & Android developer
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:07:29 PM »

I would like to get the game into a controller environment, such as for PC or eventually PSN.  My co-game designer has set his sights on mobile devices.  This is why our previous programmer suggested using Unity to get the game to as many platforms as possible.  If you are interested learning a little more, send me a private message and we can discuss the iOS opportunities.

There are plenty of pixelated programmers pounding out products of peculiar playability at a prolific pace with purported profits.

bjadams
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:23:33 PM »

I have my own 2D game engine, so I cannot be of much help with Unity.

Good luck with your project.

iOS & Android developer
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 06:19:49 AM »

Usually the trick to making AI is in recognizing (IE: producing) the characters' abilities beforehand, and then making a set of AI "special move" scripts designed to proact or react to certain situations. Then these "special moves" upon successfully connecting (say, a jump-in to ground-based follow-up) are then scripted to daisy-chain into player-possible special moves.

Many of these AI moves usually have unrealistic commands that players really cannot perform, such as Up-Down-LK-Up-Down on the ground; although the "reaction" moves are often driven by situational checks. Say there's a fireball approaching at 200 px from your AI's position, if they have super they use a particular counter-move (like a super-fireball), if they don't they try a normal fireball, a jump attack (or empty jump?), or just block the sucker.

This is why a lot of Capcom/SNK AI will usually block a LOT of stuff, but you'll be able to land attacks and counters once they've launched into an "offensive approach special."

There's also - first and foremost among the checks - an optimized range per character. If it's further away, it'll advance so far forwards and recheck, if it's closer it'll do something else (sometimes a push-back kind of move, sometimes just jump back - it depends on the character/AI set). This really comes down to focusing on your character's optimal strengths, but the usual "default" is just outside of sweeping range, just within jump-in range. SFA3 demonstrates this almost exclusively; but games like SF2 series will have grapplers stay close and zoners like M. Bison (Dictator) or Vega (Claw) will keep a greater-than-that distance instead.

Is that helpful?

Granted, that's more about scripting than programming, though.

bjadams
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 06:23:48 AM »

Very helpful info Baconman!

iOS & Android developer
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 07:13:53 AM »

I agree, a hell of an interesting read. Smiley

(← new art twitter)
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 05:31:58 PM »

Art Work Bump

I'm not a fan of leaking anything in an uncontrolled environment, but I am getting fairly needy for this programmer.  Take a look at some of the concept art and screen shots.

Enticed yet?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic