Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:04:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralRon paul
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ron paul  (Read 65290 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »

They still pay property taxes and other taxes though... But that probably doesn't bother them much.

not all states have property tax, and you don't have to pay tax if you don't earn money above a certain amount (i think it's $9000 for individuals)

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »

irrelevant? relevant? I don't know. thought it was pretty inspirational. http://www.ted.com/talks/marcin_jakubowski.html

That is frickin amazing. I wow. woa. woa. woaaa.
keo
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2012, 11:15:46 AM »

irrelevant? relevant? I don't know. thought it was pretty inspirational. http://www.ted.com/talks/marcin_jakubowski.html

That is frickin amazing. I wow. woa. woa. woaaa.

this is the website http://opensourceecology.org/
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2012, 11:17:34 AM »

hmm -- nothing in there seemed new or interesting to me (i also disliked how he seemed to try to take credit for starting the movement when it's older than he is). he didn't go into any specifics about what he built, that would have been more interesting

if you want to see something actually amazing, look at this: http://urbanhomestead.org/urban-homestead

Urban Homestead at a Glance
Location: Northwest Pasadena, one mile from downtown Pasadena
Property Size: 66’ x 132’ = 8,712 sq.ft. (1/5 acre)
House: Simple, wood frame craftsman bungalow. Circa 1917.
House Size: 1,500 sq. ft.
Garden Size: ~ 1/10 acre (3,900 sq.ft. / ~ 66' x 66')
Garden Diversity: Over 350 different vegetables, herbs, fruits & berries
Productivity: Up to 6,000 lbs harvest annually on 1/10 acre

Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2012, 11:41:25 AM »

Maybe this would help you see the awesome? I don't think he claimed to have started maker culture or something like that.

BUT WHATEVS PAUL
keo
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2012, 11:43:05 AM »

The two can incorporate eachother.

Homesteading isn't also new, it bothers me that this family trademarked the term as if they were the sole pioneers, but it's been around since the 60's if not older and that mindset is working its way into our daily lives.

I have not seen what I posted before, at least it's a central hub for engineers and farmers, to test, experiment, and collaborate on such tech.  The implications being a small group of individuals within relative monetary means can build the tools that can help build a village, no one person having to be an expert, the instructions are there on the wiki.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »

"urban homesteading" (homesteading in an urban area) is pretty new, and as far as i know unique to them, and that's what they trademarked, not homesteading itself. anyone can create a self-sustaining farm in a rural area, but not everyone can do it in the heart of a ghetto

what bothered me about the talk is, as i mentioned, that talking as if he's first among revolutionaries and not a beginner, as if he's descending into the muck where nobody knew what they were doing and offering them an amazing thing called open source and another amazing thing called a wiki (as if they had never heard of those things)

keo
« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2012, 12:03:48 PM »

what bothered me about the talk is, as i mentioned, that talking as if he's first among revolutionaries and not a beginner, as if he's descending into the muck where nobody knew what they were doing and offering them an amazing thing called open source and another amazing thing called a wiki (as if they had never heard of those things)

mmmeh I didn't get that at all from the talk, and whether it's the case, presentation isn't really important but what he's doing.  whether other people and the like are doing the same also doesn't matter, he's making his work available to everyone.
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2012, 12:42:33 PM »

that talking as if he's first among revolutionaries and not a beginner, as if he's descending into the muck where nobody knew what they were doing and offering them an amazing thing called open source and another amazing thing called a wiki (as if they had never heard of those things)

I just took the somewhat dramatic/amazing/world changing overtone in his as a part of his optimistic/visionary personality. I'm assuming of course. But whatevers.

I think claiming he's the first, if indeed he did, isn't a horrible thing to do. Surely this is the first time something of this scale with such concise direction has been attempted by any one group, independent of any large organization or company, especially with the plans being released open source.

The urban homestead project is awesome too. Thanks for linkin' Paul. Though I do prefer romantic open spaces, finding a way to be self sufficient in an urban environment seems an interesting challenge and is interesting to me. Especially since I'll probably always live in this kind of environment.
Gosh I'm hungry.
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2012, 03:46:05 PM »

"On the eve of Saturday’s Nevada caucus, Ron Paul sits down with Piers Morgan for a revealing interview, during which the Republican from Texas shares his views on rape and abortion: "If it’s an honest rape, that individual should go immediately to the emergency room, I would give them a shot of estrogen.""
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »

i think he's referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuzpe_regimen

i wanna be the guy
« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »

Okay but
The Yuzpe regimen isn’t used anymore
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2012, 05:00:51 PM »

Well. Looks like he isn't a doctor. Wooooooo
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »

Okay but
The Yuzpe regimen isn’t used anymore

where did you hear that? according to the wikipedia article it's still used:

Many common combined oral contraceptive pills could be used for the Yuzpe regimen[3], although their manufacturers did not label the pills for this use. Such off-label use of approved medications is legal and commonplace in American medicine. Further, in February 1997, the FDA declared emergency contraceptive use of certain birth control pills, following the Yuzpe regimen, as safe and effective.

googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »

Well. Looks like he isn't a doctor. Wooooooo

he was a gynecologist at a texan practice for several decades i thought

that is, he is very much a doctor
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2012, 05:31:01 PM »

where did you hear that? according to the wikipedia article it's still used:
several female friends in reaction to his comment
this
Quote from: that very same wikipedia article
It has been superseded by a progestogen-only hormonal regimen.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »

hmm, makes sense. but i'm not sure if that means it's totally unused at all anymore, or if it's just rarely used

it's not particularly surprising to me that RP would make that mistake, tho; from what i gather he hasn't worked as a doctor in a couple of decades, he's been a congressman for a while (since 79 or something), a ton of his knowledge is probably out of date

rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2012, 05:56:44 PM »

My favorite thing about Ron Pul is that his son raped someone and is a Senator now.

EDIT: Well, I decided to actual research my awesome joke and realized he didn't rape anyone. He just tied somebody up and forced them to worship a false god. Whoopsies.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »

My favorite thing about Ron Pul is that his son raped someone and is a Senator now.

EDIT: Well, I decided to actual research my awesome joke and realized he didn't rape anyone. He just tied somebody up and forced them to worship a false god. Whoopsies.

even if it were an actual rape and not a fraternity prank (he also forced her to smoke pot, from what i remember, although she never pressed charges), it'd still be no worse than obama assassinating american citizens without trial, torturing hundreds of people, killing tens of thousands of civilians in afghanistan, etc.

it's hardly the worst thing senators have ever done either; ted kennedy once killed someone in a drunk driving accident but because he was a senator they couldn't prosecute him. there are tons of stories like that, i think a large percentage of congress has a criminal record

PowRTocH
« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2012, 06:34:27 PM »

even if it were an actual rape and not a fraternity prank (he also forced her to smoke pot, from what i remember, although she never pressed charges), it'd still be no worse than obama assassinating american citizens without trial, torturing hundreds of people, killing tens of thousands of civilians in afghanistan, etc.

you should write a history textbook
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic