Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:22:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHere be update logs for my freeware gams.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Here be update logs for my freeware gams.  (Read 11673 times)
Ant
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 09:17:27 AM »

Ah yeah bit of last minute hiccup there when I was adding the code to determine the player's speed. Just updated the inDev with an hour or so of minor things, mostly little bugs here and there and the following items were added: offal, frozen offal, bandages, medikit, baseball bat. Got a lot of work on in the next couple of days so probably won't get much done on the game for a bit. After that I'd quite like to get the changeable clothes system in for the hero then concentrate more on adding to the streets and forests.
Ant
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 12:18:32 PM »

Well I got a lot of great feedback on Straima, mostly about bugs, from the folks that found out about the game via Pixel Prospector so I thought I'd end the month updating that.

Straima r7

• GUI: Options screen now has arrows to make it clear how and when to change settings. Changing settings via the F-keys now informs you of changes via text. Added shift, alt, ctrl, return and space to the keybind options.
  • Music: Switched the sound system from Super Sound to Caster so there shouldn't be any more oddities when closing the game.
  • Bug fixes: Spent a fair bit of time fixing a whole bunch of bugs mentioned.
  • New Object: Clockstopper - Stops the timer for 2 seconds, useful for encouraging dangerous paths during a speed run.
  • New Object: Breach Blocket - A block that is destroyed by projectiles or straima stomps.
  • New Object: Glooma - Hides anything that's obehind it.
  • New Dude: Fasu - Moves in one direction, can travel over anything.
  • New Dude: Rolla - Rolls around with very basic AI (i.e. will attempt to jump over holes in floor).
  • New Levels: pincushion descent, dissolvelet, aphotica, rollin rollin boingin, fasumaw.

Ant
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 01:43:11 AM »

Unlamentia r1

Well for the past week I've been makin a gam for 7dfps which was a lot of fun since I had never made a '3d' game before. Unlamentia is a puzzle platform shooter, the levels are short and most are hard so the main element of the game is figuring out a path to complete the level. There's only eight levels so far, but it was nice delving into 3d so I'd quite like to occasionally update it if I can come up with some good ideas.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:35:57 PM by caiys » Logged
Ant
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »

Famikumo r1

Well I was makin another jam gam, this time for the AGBIC but Spelunky ate into a lot of my dev time. Famikumo is a randomised shmup with single, co-op and deathmatch play. It's pretty unfinished, there's no sound for a start, but it's still pretty playable. I might give it a future update if there's demand but otherwise I'll throw this one on the backburner.

The way the Survivor gamemode works is that you gain points for each second you survive, the closer to the right of the screen the more you earn. Each round starts at a speed which is then ramped up until you meet a boss. if you kill him then you can visit a shop to buy upgrades and the speed is reduced back to the starting speed but with a slight increase. So each round the speed and duration of the round steadily increases, the types and amount of enemies is also affected.

Anyway, think I'm done with jams for a long while... Tired
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »

WHOA, where have these updates been??
Everything looks so fun to play..
great job :D

EDIT:
Straima was alot of fun, pretty hard though! Great music!

Famikumo is beautiful!! It lacks sound of course, but it's still a lot of fun to play  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:35:06 PM by kitheif » Logged
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 11:59:48 AM »

Aww, you gave up on Famikumo? I really like the idea behind it, and right now the game has loads of untapped potential...

Well, you have a month or so until AGBIC officially ends, so...you know, if you ever wanna pick the project back up... :-)
Ant
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2012, 10:57:16 AM »

Oh wow I thought the AGBIC ended today, didn't realise it was a two month jam. I guess I might as well keep working on it for another week or two since I've got 90% of the core coding done, just need to work on the content stuff now...

@kitheif cheers, that's most kind of you. SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right
Ant
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2012, 09:51:04 AM »

Cheers Meckz. SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right

I did plan on adding different themes for each round but I'd quite like to get back to cracking on with Save the Last Bullet. I think all it needs right now is music/sounds, add in random enemies/walls to deathmatch and different weapon options which should take a week or two. I'll probably add some other minor stuff like a few more enemies, more ship upgrades and a bit of decoration to give the robot theme a better feel but I'll leave the different themes for a future update.
Ant
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »

Famikumo r2

Sorry TIGers but I think I'm done with Famikumo, I'm just not much into shmups and I really want to dive back into Save the Last Bullet for a good while. I added some alternate weapons so there's 8 in all and added all the Survivor enemies into Deathmatch, except for the bosses, most of which guard the powerups.

Ant
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2012, 12:51:59 PM »

Save the Last Bullet: inDev

Added a clothing system for the hero. Clothes are randomised at character creation, you can't change them ingame yet but hopefully I'll get round to changing this soonish.

Added the Intellect and Karma stats, though Intellect doesn't do anything right now. Karma will have a positive/negative mod on the main luck-based events like random area events. Karma will be much more changeable than the other stats and is based on your decisions in some situations, like choosing to save a hostage. I don't really want Karma to force you to play a particular style, instead the aim is to add an extra gameplay element. So for example, some random events can only occur if you have a very high or very low karma. Generally having a low karma will lead to more dangerous events but the payoff is greater.

Added the ability to equip Accessories via the inventory screen. These will provide general bonuses to stats and special effects and so forth but you can only wear up to 4. Killing rabbits will get you the Rabbit Foot which is the only accessory right now, wearing it ups your karma a small amount. I also added a 'good' random area event to test it out where there's just a pile of bodies that have a chance of having random items.

Ant
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2012, 05:54:57 AM »

Save the Last Bullet r1

Thought I'd make this the first release since I've now got most of the core mechanics done,  there's still more core stuff to add but I can start working on content more now.

• You can now get a team mate, give him duties to carry out and switch between the two. He will now also use resources, food, healing and electricity.
  • The travel pane has been split into three now, Visit, Explore and Missions. Visit refers to particular areas of interest you've found, the only current one being Dock 17, Explore are the bigger randomised areas, and missions link to a specific area and will affect that area in some way. For example, when you now look at the damaged radio in the lodge you'll be given a new mission, which will unlock the Dock 17 area and create a trader there that sells the parts needed to repair the radio if selected.
  • The forests area is now split into a honeycomb of rooms. This should make it easy to add random stuff like finding a river to fish in, a camp or cabin. Added rabbits to shoot as well.
  • I changed the learning process so that you learn recipes/crafting by books obtained from a convenience store then taken to bed, though you can only learn one skill per night. There will probably be other ways of learning skills and whatnot but using books in this manner will now be the main way of learning.

future
A priority will be getting more enemies in. The infected will follow more of a body shock horror movie lines rather than traditional zombies, so I want to get in some weird mutant things. I need to add a way to get new team members as well, possibly by adding an Apartments area to explore. I'd also like to work on adding skills and status effects (e.g. a skill that increase the chance of spotting rabbits/dears in the forests and getting more food from them).
Ant
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 05:56:09 AM »

Straima r8

New Objects/Dudes
Straima Box: Can be picked up and thrown in one of three ways: drop, throw, long throw. When in the air it's harmful to straimas and pinkies.
Createor/Desctructor: Creates/destroys any dudes and certain objects that started the level touching it after a selectable amount of time.
Skima: Moves in one of 8 directions bouncing off any walls.

New Levels: chrono survivor, untetris, metro skima, skima showa, boxbardier, miserly boxy, box drop

Ant
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2012, 05:57:16 AM »

Unlamentia r2

Added menu stuff so you can alter visual, audio and customised controls. You can now also turn off the snow if you're having performance issues (ideal fps is static 50).

New levels - note since this is a puzzle game, below are spoilers
Maze: typical hedge maze except some walls switch after preset times.
Treadmill: Level moves and must be kept up with. Blocks only appear when they reach a certain point and then disappear.
Bound: Jump height based on how many pinkfaces hit. Redfaces appear each time a pinkface is hit.
Reversal: The height of platforms are switched when a pinkface is hit (e.g. a platform at the top will switch to the bottom and vice versa).
Teleport: You auto-teleport in a specific pattern after a certain amount of time, time is based on how many pickfaces are shot.

Ant
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2012, 05:57:58 AM »

Famikumo r3

There's a slim chance of this getting shown at the GameCity7 festival so I just wanted to polish it up a bit. I spent a fair bit of time playing Survivor tweaking a bunch of stuff so it's hopefully a lot more balanced now.

• The game now has music and sound effects
  • New power-ups: Shield Boost, Gatling, Pulsion (Scort fire is now based on your main weapon)
  • new enemies: Setinalbot, Titansentinalbot, Gatebot, Armouredgatebot.

Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2012, 06:14:34 AM »

Looks very nice, i work in GameMaker 8 aswell  Well, hello there!. Making my roguelike that lacks a name in it.

@@@My Website@@@

You bash the Rat in the stomach with the banana
///////////
The rat is struck down
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2012, 06:54:05 AM »

I tried Famikumo, it seems to have every amateur shmup design problem in the book, and then some. Sad

Obnoxious amounts of screen shaking, overuse of inertia, tiny sprites everywhere, visibility issues, randomness lifebar, etc.

Needs some serious work IMO.
ElVaquero
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2012, 07:39:36 AM »

It's like the Ludum Dare October Challenge was conceived just for you, haha. Love the general look and feel of a lot of these games, just pick one and ship it!!

Also, anything come of that ninja-fied Gunpoint type game? Love that idea...
Ant
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2012, 01:42:28 AM »

@Untrustedlife / ElVaquero Cheers guys. Heh didn't know anything about that Ludum Dare challenge, but it always seemed like a lot of hassle pimping commercial games so probably won't enter. And no I haven't thought much more about the ninja game but it's something I'd like to do someday, even if it's just a scaled-down lo-fi version made for a game jam.

@Udderdude I don't see the problems your having for most of the stuff you listed. Can you elaborate on your points?

In regard to the screen shaking it's like that for a few reasons. Firstly thematically you're just a bloke in a spacesuit flying through space and for most of the dev there wasn't any sound so I felt a screen shake effect when hit was appropriate. I designed it so it's not actually a true screenshake, it's two transparent surfaces shown over the original so you will always see the 'true' surface which never moves, once you get an eye for it it only stops you accurately seeing the smaller bullets but you can usually guess their firing pattern and they don't cause much damage anyway (plus the shake is dependent on the damage so getting hit by smaller objects won't add to the shake). You can also buy an upgrade that halves the screenshake.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2012, 08:06:30 AM »

None of the things udderdude mentioned about Fumikumo bothered me except maybe "overuse of inertia". It has been an interesting thing to adapt to since I'm so used to being able to zip around with precision in shmups. I kind of wish I didn't take damage from hitting the walls but that's only because I'm still getting used to the feel of the controls.
Ant
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2012, 12:47:55 PM »

I dunno, I guess I'm just very much used to it now, the only time I've ever felt the inertia led to damage as opposed to it being my own fault was sometimes when you reach the wall sections during a very fast portion of the level. Incidentally the same powerup that halves the screenshake also removes all inertia.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic