Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 09:29:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHere be update logs for my freeware gams.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Here be update logs for my freeware gams.  (Read 11672 times)
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2012, 02:39:11 PM »

I dunno, I guess I'm just very much used to it now, the only time I've ever felt the inertia led to damage as opposed to it being my own fault was sometimes when you reach the wall sections during a very fast portion of the level. Incidentally the same powerup that halves the screenshake also removes all inertia.

Oh don't get me wrong, it was my own fault in every instance. I've not played enough to be very good at the game yet. Heck, I haven't actually gotten a powerup yet. I'm mostly noting it as an interesting design decision since it's so different from the (admittedly few) shmups I've played. I think it adds to the game, rather than detracting from it.
Ant
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2012, 01:52:55 AM »

Well I'm a pauper right now so thought I'd enter Unlamentia into the YoYo Steam comp. I managed to get in 19 new levels making 32 in total and I'd really appreciate it if you guys could give it a few upvotes on Steam here.

Note the Steam version has issues inpart because GM:Studio is rather awful right now but also there doesn't seem to be an audio dll that works with Workshop. Performance is quite a lot slower and there's a few graphical oddities too. I'm sticking with the GM8 version for my site and in future which you can download here (r3). And here's a few screenies from the new levels.

Beg
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 07:42:09 AM by caiys » Logged
Ant
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2012, 02:43:23 AM »

Unlamentia didn't win the October comp Sad hopefully Straima will nab November's. List of stuff added to release 9.

new powers: kendo
new objects: refluxa, mimic, grabba, spikeball, drip, switch block
new dudes: pinky roamer, giant pinky flyer, sloopa, radon, radiom, foo, faislasoom, radiako
new levels: flowallma, mausofooleum, meaty grinder, shellswitcheroo, switch maze, parkour pits, spikelaceballs, electrogrid, sloophunta, seashock, radial interference, radantenna, randimoniom, slimy cavy, rain machine, tightropa lova, retention, fais alter, shyoken, ionfields, house of mime, mime trail, thru da motions, fluxblooma, right up the rad, hydra, [d] boxy galore, [d] fantacave, [d] syjudge, [d] jittery bridge, [d] shodon show down, [d] shodon showdown

You can download the GM8 version here and the Steam version here.

if i win one of these comps was thinkin of takin time off work to go full pelt on an unlamentia/straima commercial release. maybe even continue makin gams full time if that goes well :O
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2012, 06:32:10 AM »

@Udderdude I don't see the problems your having for most of the stuff you listed. Can you elaborate on your points?

Play any modern shmup (including mine) and you'll see what I mean.

Unlamentia didn't win the October comp Sad hopefully Straima will nab November's. List of stuff added to release 9.

I think what Straima really needs is some more structured levels, with specific sets of abilities set for each level that are integral to solving the level's puzzles.

I did try it before, and I think it has a lot of potential, but right now it just kind of feels like a random mish-mash of platformer abilities/game elements and symmetrical levels with no real focus or structure.
Ant
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2012, 02:40:29 AM »

I'll actually be working on Famikumo for the December comp so I'll go watch some youtube playthroughs of recent shmups. But generally I have no interest in appeasing genre traditions at the expense of gameplay.

My main aim for the update will be to work on adding more gametypes, such as just surviving against ever-increasing waves of enemy from all sides, then a Campaign gametype that brings them all together. I'll try and add a bit of narrative as well.

The whole idea behind Straima really, was as you said a random madhouse. One of my favourite games was Unreal Tournament, the story mode was superfluous, the real meat of the game was in just loading up a bunch of random maps and slogging through them. That's the idea here, hopefully in the next update I'll get in 3-4 players, custom playlists and just lots more stuff and levels to play around with.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2012, 05:27:21 AM »

The whole idea behind Straima really, was as you said a random madhouse. One of my favourite games was Unreal Tournament, the story mode was superfluous, the real meat of the game was in just loading up a bunch of random maps and slogging through them. That's the idea here, hopefully in the next update I'll get in 3-4 players, custom playlists and just lots more stuff and levels to play around with.

Right now, with just single player, it doesn't work that well.  It sounds like the concept would work better with multiple players there fooling around.  I guess you're trying to do something like Super Mario Bros. Wii where everyone is supposed to work together (But inevitably ends up backstabbing eachother over and over)?
Ant
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2012, 08:11:13 AM »

Yeah I was going for a Bubble Bobble co-op feel. I hadn't seen that Mario Wii but I rather like the interaction between players, standing on heads, picking each other up, etc. I didn't really want to go down that route as it can mess around with the best times when you have easier access to certain areas, but it looks a lot of fun and I guess I could add a little icon that displays how many players where used to get the best scores. I think the single player would improve significantly if I added an online best table, currently it's only the "don't die" mode that gets the heart pumping for me.

Btw for those interested in Famikumo I think I might try a more RPG type of game. My current thinking is you start with a basic ship then complete short-ish missions for credits to upgrade your ship and open harder missions. Not sure how fun this will be to play but it interests me from a design perspective and I just don't have the graphical skills nor interest to make a Hydorah.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:04:58 AM by caiys » Logged
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2013, 06:47:13 PM »

Gosh Caiys... All of your work is so cool, stahp being so cool.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic