Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:30:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTRI
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: TRI  (Read 15466 times)
ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
TRI
« on: January 09, 2012, 12:28:45 PM »

Release in October 2014!

See forum post here.

Update from October 2013:

Our first-person 3D environment exploration&puzzle game TRI is still under development, but the biggest portion of the gameplay is now implemented and there are already most of the levels fully playable (although they all will be tweaked later). The game costs now $10, or - if you want the soundtrack as an additional download - $15.

New trailer!

Along with the usual FPS gameplay (walking, jumping, grabbing stuff), TRI mainly features the ability to create triangles. With these, you will be able to reflect light rays and deadly lasers, redirect little flying ghosts and also walk on walls and ceilings.

More infos on WWW.TRI-GAME.COM
Follow @RatKingsLair on Twitter
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:35:48 AM by overhead » Logged

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »

I am going to go ahead and suggest that you name this game Tri Again.

ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 12:38:27 PM »

Haha, great idea. Our current favorite right now was "Tri and Error", but it's not really fitting for a fantasy themed game. :)

ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »

Devlog entry 1:

OK, this is the current state:

This is not only not much, but also ugly. I apologize. My artist and I are working independently from each other - she is doing concept arts, research and whiterooms, while I'm testing stuff in my little testlevel. I mainly try to script the following things now (in C#):

• A new character controller - the ones I used before, found in Unity itself or in the Unify wiki, are not suited for my needs, so I have to create one myself. This is something I don't look forward to, but it has to be done. :(
  • The triangle gameplay from the first game. It has to be re-created, as I don't want to just copy the code from a 48h contest entry, and I want to make it better. You create the triangles in the original TRI with a gun much like the portal gun, which was awkward to use sometimes. Our new fantasy setting will allow the use of "magic" and probably make the process of setting three dots in the world more streamlined. At least I hope so.

This is it, and it will need more than enough time to do these two things. After that, I'll try to re-create the lasers, which won't be lasers anymore in Tri 2. :)

Regards,
overhead

CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 10:28:32 PM »

Posting to follow.

Wizard

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 11:09:51 PM »

stalking this thread.  Ninja
Tri Again. I second that.

ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 11:14:26 AM »

Devlog entry 2:

OK, a little update. The FPS character controller (rigidbody-based) and the ability to create triangles are in the game again, although both parts are not finished and won't be in a long time. I think these are so important as core elements that I will work on them occasionally throughout the whole development, but for now they function good enough in order to make some gameplay videos for our planned crowdfunding campaign ...

Because I already made a first person game with triangles, programming the same elements in "Tri 2" feels more like polishing than actual creating. And I hate the polishing part. :P But at least it's worth it - for example, the triangle creation process feels much better now. You can control each of the three points individually by just dragging them. It reminds me of a 3D modelling program, which might not be very immersive, but at least it works better than before and can now be refined until it feels more natural - like a game with magic stuff.

As long as the current triangle is invalid, ie. it either intersects with other geometry or its sides are too long, it's transparent and intangible:

left: valid triangle / right: triangle intersecting static geometry
(Yes, the texture is the standard Unity refraction example texture. :P)

This week, I want to recreate the lasers. They will be just normal rays of light in Tri 2, and shine through holes in the walls. They probably will activate doors and other things via crystals which have to be focused or so. In order to bring more variety to the game, we plan to have more elements which have to be reflected with the triangles, like particle streams or even falling rocks and other objects. Time will tell.

Regards,
overhead

PS: Unfortunately, there already is a "Tri 2 - Tri Again" ... But as I said, I'd rather want a name which fits to a fantasy theme. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:01:30 PM by overhead » Logged

ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 11:28:41 AM »

Devlog entry 3:

The basic functionality of the rays of light is finished (again: more or less). This means they get generated as soon as the game starts and they can be reflected via created triangles. As soon as they hit a wall, the player, or another object, they get cut off. Obviously they don't do anything relevant for now, but as soon as I have to implement the actual gameplay in the levels, they (hopefully) will be able to activate crystals and/or kill enemies and the player. Perhaps they even will heat something, or shed light on things ...
BTW, as opposed to the lasers in the original TRI the rays of light can get weaker the longer they are, which means they have a maximum length. And - for aesthetic purposes - they can get wider or more narrow, so it looks more like they come from natural light sources.

Two different coloured light sources get reflected.

I began implementing the rays by using the standard LineRenderer from Unity. This produced some problems (like distorted UVs, and they don't look too great if you frontally stare into the ray source). I now generate them procedurally by creating meshes formed like cylinders (or cones); later I will allow more shapes which might look interesting. Of course there also is generally a lot to do on the art side, right now the rays are not very pretty to look at. I think about giving each light ray part a spotlight, but this probably won't be healthy for the perfomance, even with deferred lighting and all.

Left: UV distortion in LineRenderer, thanks to affine transformation. Or whatever.
Right: Current light ray implementation with cylinders, with debug lines activated.

But my biggest enemy for now is transparency. With the triangles having a nice refraction shader and so on, they have some serious problems with transparent objects - like themselves, the particle effects, and the light rays. Thanks to sorting issues it never looks right, and my current solution (drawing the rays in front of the tris) isn't the best as you can't see any light rays which might be behind your own triangles. :/

Transparency sorting issues.

As soon as I have time again I want to add two features to Tri 2 which weren't originally in the first TRI: walking on walls, and reflecting objects which fly in constant curves. These features hopefully will have a little surprise-effect for those who might watch our gameplay video - the one we want to make for the crowdfunding campaign.

Unfortunately, I'm sure I won't post a new entry next week, because there will be not much time to work on Tri 2. For example, the Global Game Jam will commence, and I'm not only participating but also co-organizing our site in Leipzig. \o/ I'm also trying to port our first iOS game, Pitman, back to PC - just for fun and because some people really liked it.

Regards,
overhead

Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »

my biggest enemy for now is transparency.
BTW, mine too. Just post there if you'll found proper solution (except switching to UDK, it's inacceptable for me for numerous reasons)

Concept's nice, other than that I don't really know what to say - just best of luck, guys)

P.S.
Looooooove 3d indie. It's rare, and usually well-done.

We LOVE you. We MADE you.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 02:15:38 PM »

I like your triangles
  ▲
▲ ▲

ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 10:46:36 PM »

Thank you very much. ;)

BTW, the artist of our little company maintains the indieDB page of Tri 2, and uploaded some concept art.

Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 01:35:20 AM »

Whoa! That is absolutely type of fantasy I was hoping you'll use. Guys, I looooove you!

But! If triangle had limited ende length, wouldn't it be painful to "buil" them in such opened areas? (I mean big space under the square/brigde at 3D pic)

Ashkin
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 02:16:04 AM »

Hello, what is this beautiful thing and why have you been hiding it from me.
ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 05:29:46 AM »

Guys, I looooove you!

We love you too! <3
(Seriously, your project looks amazing!)

But! If triangle had limited ende length, wouldn't it be painful to "buil" them in such opened areas? (I mean big space under the square/brigde at 3D pic)

It's really just concept art right now, so the actual levels will be more suited for the gameplay. For example, we plan to place posts, beams, columns, pillars, etc., loosely distributed in the room in order to provide anchor points for the triangles. Of course, this isn't the only alternative, I'd also like to see more freeform gameplay without handholding. There will be narrow places with many possibilities to build the tris, and very wide places for more ... atmospheric reasons.

Hello, what is this beautiful thing and why have you been hiding it from me.

We thought you would steal it from us! ;)

Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 05:45:15 AM »

How about limiting not triangle properties, but triangles count? Let's say 3 (because for tris 3 is amazing number)

We love you too! <3
Then why the hell you don't post? :D Just kidding)

Have you thought about anchoring triangles to smoke particles? I think it could be nice, to let players exploit unexpectable stuff ^_^ (Remember Humbug, right?)

ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 07:57:17 AM »

How about limiting not triangle properties, but triangles count? Let's say 3 (because for tris 3 is amazing number)
I think many small triangles look cooler than few very big ones. Smiley
But nonetheless we're yet to balance the whole gameplay, so it might be there will be restrictions on the triangle count, perhaps by introducing some kind of mana / tri-energy.

We love you too! <3
Then why the hell you don't post? :D Just kidding)

I know, I know, I should post more and give more feedback. I'm really amazed by most of the projects here in the devlogs section, but to be honest, I am overwhelmed by the sheer number of devlogs, and generally, by the size of the whole TIGforum. I'm not much of a forum lurker anymore and especially not someone who is able to give valuable feedback (it mostly would consist of blatants "Looks great!"). I'm more of an IRC user/idler, but not in many channels, as it really cuts the time away ...

Perhaps I just need some time to get used to these forums, I think. Wink

Have you thought about anchoring triangles to smoke particles? I think it could be nice, to let players exploit unexpectable stuff ^_^ (Remember Humbug, right?)

Don't know Humbug, sorry ...! The smoke particles idea sounds interesting, but right now the primary goal is that it works with solid geometry. I already had the idea that the triangles can move after their creation, if you attach them to moving objects, but we'll see if it is even feasible.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:07:51 AM by overhead » Logged

Dakota.s
Level 0

Future Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 09:57:33 PM »

Wow, this game looks awesome. Plus i love puzzle games. keep up the good work. Coffee

Games are supposed to be art, and not simply a way to make money.
ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 04:01:46 AM »

Hey, thanks for the kind words!

Of course, even the week after the Global Game Jam I didn't had the chance to continue working on Tri 2, so the next Devlog will be very late, unfortunately. On the other hand, we plan to do some kind of crunch week in order to get all the stuff together for our planned crowdfunding campaign.
The reason for this week is our first game, "Pitman", or rather the first development week of Pitman. You see, the game was made during the 7 Day Roguelike Challenge and it was awesome to have a fully functional and complete game in just one week. This was only possible because we had a pretty detailed plan of what we wanted to do and achieve. So we hope we can recreate this productive atmosphere once again for Tri 2 (fingers crossed).

Regards,
overhead

ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 10:32:59 AM »

Devlog entry 4:

After three weeks I finally have time (and reason) to write a new devlog entry. It's late because of a sideproject (which you can buy now on Desura, BTW ;) and because of the Global Game Jam 2012 (here's our game, Inclossssssure*). Both were fun to do, so it wasn't wasted time after all, but adjourning our main project wasn't that good for our motivation. So here we are again!

This time, I tried to implement the objects which fly in a curve. I succeed in most parts, so I can show some screenshots (again in the ugly test level; the search for a visual style is steadily progressing). I call them "Kami" for now, although the screenshots would simply suggest "fireflies". They really should represent some kind of spirits which constantly haunt the place, so expect the visuals to change drastically. Thanks to deferred lighting I can add a light source to each one of the Kami and it instantly looks interesting. ;)

The Kamis spawn and fly out of holes in the walls. Their path is defined by three angles for each axis, so nothing fancy here.
Right now they just get deleted when they hit a wall and rerouted as soon as they hit a triangle created by the player. It's planned that only certain typed of triangles redirect them, and that there are special kinds of force fields where a Kami can't fly through (or walls ONLY the Kamis can fly through). They also will have a force impact on physicalized objects, so you use them in order to press "buttons", throw heavy boxes into pits (whatever the reason may be) and hit enemies (if there will be such things).

Of course, there were problems.

For example, because I wanted to have a little variation in the speed of the Kamis spawning out of one single hole, the final locations of the Kamis differed slightly. (Because, of course, they don't move on perfect curves.) That would look pretty natural, but it's bad for gameplay where you have to be certain that something works always the same way.
Another problem met me in Unity's Quaternion class, specifically the lack of a Slerp() method which would take a t-value outside of [0..1]. Also, having non-normalized quaternions for the rotation can lead to really strange results after a while ...
But when I finally could tackle the bugs that haunted me and the seemingly simple problem of flying Kami, I could make some nice screenshots. :)

That's it for now, the next step is some variation with the walking on the tris. After that I try to polish the character controller and other things I already have, so it might be that updates will be sparse.

Regards,
overhead

*) In case you're wondering why there's no webplayer version of Inclosssssssssssssure, it's because I use the Unity 3.5 beta version right now, and this isn't compatible with most people's version of the Unity webplayer.

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 01:11:34 PM »

Like the look of this, the red/gold/green colour/color scheme is great, although I know nothing of such things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic