Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:36:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAdventure Cat - (Zelda-Like Top Down Shooter)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Adventure Cat - (Zelda-Like Top Down Shooter)  (Read 9603 times)
helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 05:53:18 PM »

@CEDE, Wow, I like the way you draw. The Hydragora's eyes remind me of Simpson's Kang and Kodos.

@peanutbuttershoes, Thanks! I'm still stuck sketch on the big kraken thing boss. I like it to be big and epic, but at the same time, I don't want it to be just another kraken (kraken's have been overused in a lot of movies as of late, imo). I'm trying to make it look like a kraken from hell (so it's not necessarily aquatic, or a mollusk even). But hopefully it would be even bigger than the Rouge Empress (the big hornet momma).

Also, now you can try out the actual game in your browser at: http://adventurecat.us

As you can tell, the website is pretty blank. My next big goal next week is to make it -not- blank (lol). The SSL certificate is something I just made out of necessity, and I will change it to something more appropriate soon. Also, this runs in Java 1.6, Windows (and possibly Linux).

Tested on:

2GHz Intel Core i3
2Gb Ram
32 Bit Windows 7 Home Premium

Requires Roughly 100mb of space for caching music, etc (note: real usage is under 50mb).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:24:07 PM by helgravis » Logged
helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 06:01:12 PM »

Also, how do you guys level up? My profile is still stuck at level 0. Beg
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 06:06:52 PM »

You have to be cool ... really cool ... Cool

Oh wait, no you don't, you have to spend all your time here ... CrazyCheesyOutraged

helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 06:09:27 PM »

Oh wait, no you don't, you have to spend all your time here ... CrazyCheesyOutraged

Lol. Cheesy Will do!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 06:20:38 PM »

Lol. Cheesy Will do!

No don't, work on your game instead!!  Outraged Outraged Outraged

helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 08:25:57 PM »

After squeezing my brain of every ounce of web design creativity, I managed to put up a home page now. Most pages are empty, and would probably just redirect you to home for now.

http://adventurecat.us/
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »

Ooh not too shabby Smiley

helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 08:10:53 PM »

Ran into some trouble today with Ogg Vorbis. I got it to work if I run the jar as a Java application, but when I run it as an applet, something weird happens and it just crashes. Got fed up, and just switched to wav for now in order to avoid the hefty mp3 license fee.
helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 10:49:57 PM »

Made a new boss today. This big guy is called Carceros after the Karkinos (Cancer).

His shell makes him invulnerable. You have to find a special weapon to kncok the shell away before you can deal real damage. I want him to be a mid-boss because he is only a parasite of the big kraken boss.
CEDE
Level 2

Don't Stress, Live a Cool Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 06:56:08 AM »

Made a new boss today. This big guy is called Carceros after the Karkinos (Cancer).

His shell makes him invulnerable. You have to find a special weapon to kncok the shell away before you can deal real damage. I want him to be a mid-boss because he is only a parasite of the big kraken boss.

These dudes are rad!

portfolio | studio | latest game: shade dogs | twitterpost-it
Dakota.s
Level 0

Future Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 08:56:32 AM »

This game looks fun and interesting, i am downloading the demo right now.   Smiley

Games are supposed to be art, and not simply a way to make money.
helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »

@CEDE. Thanks! It's the little comments like that which keeps me going. 

@Dakota.s Hope you like it!

In the meantime, here's what I've been working on. It's on the same level as a kraken, but not really aquatic. The creature came from the nether realms where there is no water, but since there is no place big enough to summon it, the villain just summons it in the sea.

It has no eyes, and no mind of its own. They are bred for war and only for war, and only responds to the command of its master, which causes it to go berserk if the master is killed.

I haven't added the tentacles yet (which is probably gonna be a pain to animate, lol).
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 11:53:45 AM »

In the meantime, here's what I've been working on. It's on the same level as a kraken, but not really aquatic. The creature came from the nether realms where there is no water, but since there is no place big enough to summon it, the villain just summons it in the sea.

-CRAZIEST MONSTER I'VE EVER SEEN-

It has no eyes, and no mind of its own. They are bred for war and only for war, and only responds to the command of its master, which causes it to go berserk if the master is killed.

I haven't added the tentacles yet (which is probably gonna be a pain to animate, lol).

Shocked Well... Darn. LOL - How would you defeat it, then? It's looking crazy - I'm not sure if I'm looking at it right, though - are the jaws below the mouth in the middle, or is that something else?

helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »

It has two mouths, one on the forehead, which opens sideways, and one in its real face (shrapnel-like mouth). The upper mouth is mainly for sucking things rather than eating, while the bottom one is for chomping larger creatures. I wanted it to look other-wordly, so traditional animal anatomy does not make sense (how does it breathe in/out of water?/is that even a squid?/wait, so its stomach is in its forehead?).

And yes, you are right, it is pretty much invulnerable (well, at least to the player because he only has a tiny gun) on the outside, so what I am planning is:

A. Player kills Summoner, who is not invulnerable, so the monster goes berserk.
B. Lure the Malvek away from town. Find it hiding in some deserted island cave.
C. Climb the tentacles, enter the Malvek's mouth in the most unintentional/gross manner, and kill it from the inside.
D. Escape by bursting out somewhere.

Well, at least, these are what I'm -hoping- to do. Lol.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »

-epic idea-

Well, at least, these are what I'm -hoping- to do. Lol.

Wow. That sounds very interesting. I like the creature by the way - it's very unique-looking. If I may make a suggestion, it would be to make the tentacles longer or thinner - right now they look like horns. When you animate them it would be less weird, though.

helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 08:52:11 AM »

Ah, those gray things on top are horns, actually. The blues are the "tentacles."

What do you think? I think I ended up making a kraken/hydra mix instead lol.
helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 07:32:36 PM »

Added Scaraggs to the beach in Rappala Town. They start appearing after unlocking a certain quest.

Scaraggs are the tentacle-appendages of Malvek the shoot icebreath/icefire. They are commonly mistaken as a different creature because the main body (Malvek) is usually hidden elsewhere while the summoner uses demonic circles to warp the Scaragg tentacles beyond enemy lines. The Scaragg tentacles also regenerate very quickly, which means the only real way to deal with them is to kill the main body Malvek.

Dakota.s
Level 0

Future Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 11:56:55 PM »

Just played the demo, I did not play much cause my computer is 10 years old and it lagged a lot.(Time for a new computer.) But other than that i really enjoyed it, Keep up the good work. Beer!

Games are supposed to be art, and not simply a way to make money.
helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 09:14:39 AM »

Sorry to hear it lagged so much. I'll try making it more efficient somehow.
helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 05:37:56 PM »

Today, did a bunch of web stuff. Updated a lot of pages on the website.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic