Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:47:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsA 2D combat game. (BRAINSTORMING STAGE).
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A 2D combat game. (BRAINSTORMING STAGE).  (Read 2197 times)
filosofiamanga
Level 1

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2012, 02:39:34 PM »

Hello, Sorry for the bad english (not first language).

I'm a 2D fighting gamer, and I would like to create a 2D fighting game, (by fighting I mean a human vs human combat experience).
But I'm not trying to create an Street Fighter II clone.

What I want and the core of the game that I want to create, it's one that focus entirely on combos.
So... to acomplish the most variations and variety of "combos", the avatar should have a lot of freedom in movement and habilities.

But the last one doesn't mean that the avatar should have 300 movement list (sort of Virtual Fighter), No, a counter example can be the characters angel or Maylee from Kof 2002-2001.

Angel's Combo video

May lee's Combo video

What they have it's that they're designed from the ground to have chains and combo technology.

Well, that's the core motivation from the quest of this game.
So, to flesh it out I wanna see your thoughs...

Now, on how the conflict will be created. Well, since the goals are combos, then combos should be the way to lose or to win.
What I mean it's that the enemy should have a life bar, but this life bar only depletes with a combo and if the combo it's lost then the damage made it's lost also.
An example to imagine could be the life bar on practice mode of actual fighting games.
TO WIN CONDITIONS: Simply deploy the life bar of the enemy.
TO LOSE CONDITIONS: Simply don't kill the oponent when time is over.

Having that cleared, I can start to ask other stuff.
Since I would like to create more a one player experience, not just a versus game, I should expose my others inspirations...

I love Castlevania SOTN, It's music, It's characters, It's enemies, perfect game.
Since I would like to create a more deep one player experience (not an online competitive game) It would be cool to analize Castlevania SOTN and see what make it appealling to our purpose. In this case will be exploration and diferent monsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFRxi6CtoW0 Some cool castlevania sotn hack boss fight.

Other game I love, it's beatem'up (Street of Rage), the thing I like it's to kick waves and waves of enemies, the enemies having life bars and not dieing with one hit.
Examples of their genre that we can use are hack and slash (their natural evolution from 2D):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2LIlZfB4dk Bayonetta combo video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T_RdUPNg6k Devil May cry combo video

So, what else?, Oh, I remember to love some RPG's long time ago, their strenght is the story, but in this case, the thing to look is their combat system.
One that fits this 2D gameplay combat is Tales of Phantasia for SNES (haven't played the others and Star Ocean is not 2D movement).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3qTIMzE_xQ A Tales of phantasia video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=masqVBiTsME&feature=related Another video

So, exploration and waves of monsters, characters and story, let's explore ideas...

In the exploration and movement part:

***) How about several doors conected and each room having diferent monsters, no platform (since it's not the main goal of the game) just one floor (a 2D fighting arcade game room), lenght of room equal to horizontal exploration (Mario).

***) Or a 2D big room like traditional Metroidvania, although devil may cry is not a platform game like Metroidvanias are, neither vertical exploration nor platform is the focus of this game.

***) Or even a 2D rpg snes maps exploration or movement outside battles, this will allow for a complex (RPG) story. Although exploration nor story it's the focus and mean a more expensive development.

***) A fighting game survival endless mode, can be related to the rooms and doors idea.

***) A sort of coliseum, where one fight endless monsters (random order).

In the characters stage:
***) One main character with three diferent styles of movements. (Fighting game movements)

***) Three characters like in Marvel vs Capcom.

***) Tales of Phantasia style of Game.

***) Castlevania SOTN style (one character with familiars).

***) One main character with three diferent styles of movements that can call the others characters like Marvel vs Capcom assist (aka kof 2001 style), having one familiar and a quick change menu system.

VERSUS IDEAS
Since this game will also can have a human vs human component, there's this movement question I have...
Which version of movement between moving like Super Smash Brothers or a more traditional 2D fighting game (SF, KOF, BBCS DOA).
Smash Brothers: left means the character face left, right means he faces right.
Traditional movement: there's not left or right, but there's forward and back depending on if the enemy is behind you and which side he is on.

I like more the traditional way, allow for fighting game tech in the versus, like Crossup and mixup.

Hope you like the idea behind this game (also sorry again for my poor english).
DragonSix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:17:53 PM »

Every single versus fighting game and their mothers are about combos (from current street fighter to blazblu and even virtua fighter). What would be really smart, is to make a fighting game that ISN'T about those.

In some games like tekken or guilty gear, if I take a launcher I could literally go eat a sandwich while my opponent juggles me. I'm so sick of it.
filosofiamanga
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »

Every single versus fighting game and their mothers are about combos (from current street fighter to blazblu and even virtua fighter). What would be really smart, is to make a fighting game that ISN'T about those.

In some games like tekken or guilty gear, if I take a launcher I could literally go eat a sandwich while my opponent juggles me. I'm so sick of it.

Yeah, you're right about that (but in competitive games, you sure like to land them?), but combos are the spice about fighting games, lot of people like them, others (like me) love to see them.

Games without combo are like the First Art of Fighting, which people say it sucks compared to modern games.
Combos are one thing that deepens and make more fun a fighting game, maybe you're sick of receiving them.
Tell me, would you rather play the first Street Fighter than the second one?

To this day, all fighting games put LIMITATIONS to combos, rather than focusing on them (creating new paradigms) and freeing the characters.

Have you seen Skullgirls?, they took a new aproach where all combos are allowed as long as they're not repetitive (aka infinites).
Dragonmaw
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 05:32:05 PM »

First off, this is in the wrong section (belongs in collabs).

Second, you are literally saying nothing that the fighting game genre has not done already. Combos are a major part of fighting games, and will always be a major part of fighting games. There are games which even let you create custom combos (see Arcana Heart's Dash Cancel system, or Melty Blood's Reverse Beat system). So your post boils down to... that you want to make a fighting game. Really revolutionary stuff, lemme tell ya.

Also you keep saying things like "focus on combos" and "create new paradigms." These are filler words, used by people that can't express what they want or how it is supposed to excite someone. Cut it out.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic