Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:53:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsMentor Wanted
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mentor Wanted  (Read 2118 times)
Sunpeece
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »

I introduced myself in "The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread" but received no replies to my request. This is probably due to the complete lack of traffic in that post Wink. Behold General Forum:

Hello, I'm Zach and video game development has been my hobby since I discovered Game Maker in 3rd grade 10 years ago. It used to be my passion until I became discouraged. This was due to my consistent and tragic lack of motivation to finish projects.

I recently ran a search and found excellent tips for motivation. Most of them I learned myself, like making your game iterable, but one was profound for me. That is You are never going to finish your game, you're only going to abandon it. ( =

I learned most of the basics of C++ and want to move into that, but haven't even started a project. I'm wondering if anyone could mentor me through the process. I absolutely adore the feeling of multiplayer in games so the first application I want to write is a chat program. I want to learn everything I can about networking while I finally delve into C++.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:54:32 PM »

Read this topic before making any more new topics.

Moving to Collabs
Sunpeece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 02:55:52 PM »

Oh, okay. Thank you.
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »

I recently ran a search and found excellent tips for motivation. Most of them I learned myself, like making your game iterable, but one was profound for me. That is You are never going to finish your game, you're only going to abandon it. ( =

If that's what you believe, why even bother learning to code? If that's not what you believe, why write that? I don't get it.
Sunpeece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »

If that's what you believe, why even bother learning to code? If that's not what you believe, why write that? I don't get it.

It is a word of encouragement. In other words, you are only going to keep improving your game. There is no such thing as a "finished" game. With that in mind, you don't have to fret over that concept.
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 05:59:56 PM »

Ah, okay.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »

Hey dude, nice initiative looking for a mentor. If you don't find one, you should just use this forum to ask questions as you go. C++ is quite tricky to get into mainly because of the diversity in compilers, platforms, libraries, techniques, blah, blah, but don't let that get to you. I would highly recommend downloading SFML and go through the tutorials. Good luck!

Sunpeece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 07:07:09 PM »

Hey dude, nice initiative looking for a mentor. If you don't find one, you should just use this forum to ask questions as you go. C++ is quite tricky to get into mainly because of the diversity in compilers, platforms, libraries, techniques, blah, blah, but don't let that get to you. I would highly recommend downloading SFML and go through the tutorials. Good luck!

Alrighty, thanks for the tips! There are so many 2d API's -_-

EDIT: Or API's period for that matter. And by the way, what do you mean by platforms in this context?

EDIT: Oh wow the tutorials have a whole networking section YAY ^_^
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 07:13:21 PM »

Oh I meant platforms as in windows(visualc/cygwin/mingw),linux,osx/ios, ...   

I use mingw on windows, but a beginner should probably use Visual C++ Express or whatever they call it these days ... Smiley

Sunpeece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 08:04:48 PM »

Oh I meant platforms as in windows(visualc/cygwin/mingw),linux,osx/ios, ...   

I use mingw on windows, but a beginner should probably use Visual C++ Express or whatever they call it these days ... Smiley

Are you talking about compilers? I already have that down pact. :3
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 08:41:27 PM »

Yeh compilers, build systems, IDEs, ... Good to hear you've got compilers down pat. 10 years of c++ and I still don't ... D: Good luck!

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »

+1 for SFML. It really helped me jump from textbook/class stuff to doing something I'm mildly proud about.

Also, the internet is great but if you can find any sort of meetups regarding game development in your area that would be even better. Personal contact with other developers people enthusiastic about games can really help with motivation.

Sunpeece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 09:17:44 PM »

Yeh compilers, build systems, IDEs, ... Good to hear you've got compilers down pat. 10 years of c++ and I still don't ... D: Good luck!

build systems? IDEs?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 09:38:48 PM »

i can't mentor you currently, but i do want to say that this is a good idea that i wish more indies would do. the best way to learn how to make games is working with someone who knows how to make games, and who has previously finished games, and assisting them

i do hope you find someone, i'd recommend asking people specifically though, not asking people "in general" on a forum like this, because you're bound to find people who would want to take advantage of you

so what i would suggest is to play indie games. often. discover who your favorite indie game developers are. then email those people and ask if they could mentor you in exchange for free help / playtesting for their games

Sunpeece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 10:42:30 PM »

i can't mentor you currently, but i do want to say that this is a good idea that i wish more indies would do. the best way to learn how to make games is working with someone who knows how to make games, and who has previously finished games, and assisting them

i do hope you find someone, i'd recommend asking people specifically though, not asking people "in general" on a forum like this, because you're bound to find people who would want to take advantage of you

so what i would suggest is to play indie games. often. discover who your favorite indie game developers are. then email those people and ask if they could mentor you in exchange for free help / playtesting for their games

Fantastic reply! My flitting mind just caught onto another shiny thought, though. I think I'm going to start the next Project: Art of War server on Minecraft. Maybe you could be my mentor when you're available. Smiley Just PM me when you can, however far in the future, so I'll get an email about it.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 11:04:57 PM »

sure, maybe eventually; i'd prefer mentoring people who are fans of my games though, so if you want me to mentor you one day you should first prepare by seeing if you like my style of games and if you think i'm worth learning anything from

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic