Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:27:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRamBros [All American Co-Op Shooter] - Demo
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Print
Author Topic: RamBros [All American Co-Op Shooter] - Demo  (Read 74762 times)
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2012, 10:37:38 AM »

I quite like the idea, I guess if theres enough interest I will do it that way, and sort of offer a shareware type paid version for 5 bucks with some extra modes and stuff like that.  Lets see how much interest the idea gets I guess.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:44:06 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

SpaceFish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2012, 10:04:44 AM »

I made some pokemon tilesets and playable characters so now you can do THIS in Rambros!

Ant
« Reply #202 on: June 28, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »

Haha what the hell is going on in this game... looking real nice though. Hand Thumbs Up Right
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2012, 12:25:17 PM »

I quite like the idea, I guess if theres enough interest I will do it that way, and sort of offer a shareware type paid version for 5 bucks with some extra modes and stuff like that.  Lets see how much interest the idea gets I guess.

you could always do something similar to this, I guess
http://nifflas.ni2.se/?page=FiNCK
or something to the effect

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: June 28, 2012, 12:31:43 PM »

I made some pokemon tilesets and playable characters so now you can do THIS in Rambros!

I am laughing with amazement, this is AWESOME.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: June 28, 2012, 06:17:24 PM »

EPIC.  So spent some time today adding some extra lua functions in the game so people can start to really fuck with the game logic, did a performance pass on the editor to make everything load a little easier, added a flood/box fill option to the tileset drops, and started a wiki at www.rambros.wikia.com - it is kind of bare for now.  Up next is bullet modding (because its fucking me off that some bullets cant be modded) and customizing the properties on the guns such as fire speed/damage/etc.  I am not sure how far I will delve into this, because a lot of it is fairly animation heavy so we shall see, but the plan is to make anything function like anything and look like anything the modder wants... Lets see how that turns out.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:22:50 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: June 29, 2012, 06:26:56 PM »

you could always do something similar to this, I guess
http://nifflas.ni2.se/?page=FiNCK
or something to the effect

I was thinking of just making story mode and 2 player in the paid version, that way everyone can play and mod it, play with it for free single player, but if they want the extras then throw 5 dollars at me.

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »

Holy crap! The game was amazing on its own...and now you have taken things up a few notches by adding all those mod features. So many possibilities. Opening up the game like that can definitely be beneficial to gain even more appeal with players, and should be awesome to see what people come up with:)

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: June 29, 2012, 10:42:55 PM »

Holy crap! The game was amazing on its own...and now you have taken things up a few notches by adding all those mod features. So many possibilities. Opening up the game like that can definitely be beneficial to gain even more appeal with players, and should be awesome to see what people come up with:)

Im quite keen to see how the whole game changes with a few mods, I think I will probably add a highlight section if theres enough cool mods on the title screen, so people can check out peoples new mods and levels and stuff with each update.  So last night I got bullets working and moddable, currently there are only 3 weapons that have hardcoded features that I will be leaving out for now, but the list is as follows for everything else:

Bullet graphic
bullet fire speed
bullet speed
bullet ammo cost
bullet damage
bullet falloff
is melee weapon
is explosive

Some stuff will retain its original properties as mentioned, but if someone wants to do a full mod you can straight out ban weapons/add weapons with lua functions now, so I will call this good enough for now.  Next is doing some tutorials, maybe a video tutorial, and stress testing the lua scripts... Oh and scrapping Timed/Defend/Kill preset game types for a more flexable Standard/Custom level types, where custom will use a lua script on startup to dictate what the level win properties are, amongst other things.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 30, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »

Where have you been all my life RamBros?  WTF
I LOVE YOU.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: June 30, 2012, 08:09:48 PM »

Where have you been all my life RamBros?  WTF
I LOVE YOU.

RamBros loves every American and terrorist alike.  

Character editor updates - typos aside its functional:

I have been thinking how to handle the auto updater while its in alpha and eventually beta also, I think I might just write a external updater for now which just downloads a new build to a new sub directory based on version, until the game gets a bit more stable, that way if I break something in the latest release people can actually play it still by using the older version directories - also modding will be made easier that way it doesn't auto overwrite any archives or level files, scripts, etc that you may have been modding.

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2012, 12:40:18 AM »

This is looking amazing. I havent played but quality seems very high. You should shoot for a steam release maybe? Email some press about it and use their ravings as leverage. Same thing is what happened to that crowd funding. I'm sure if people's had heard about it they would have funded.

Keep up the great work, can't wait to try my hands on this.

radicalnetwork
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2012, 02:28:21 AM »

Hi everyone, i created an account on this forum just to say that this project is awesome and i can't wait to put my hands on it!
You can sell it or do that hybrid thing you said, either way i'm willing to give you some money and to play with this game, i hope it will be possible soon.  Smiley

And as Jwaap said try to aim at Steam, when the alpha will be ready send it to websites and advertise the full moddability, i think that it has a great potential and if you create some hype Valve will surely take it in consideration, at least i hope so!  (i could easily see this working great with Steam Workshop too)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 03:26:30 AM by radicalnetwork » Logged
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2012, 07:46:05 AM »

This is looking amazing. I havent played but quality seems very high. You should shoot for a steam release maybe? Email some press about it and use their ravings as leverage. Same thing is what happened to that crowd funding. I'm sure if people's had heard about it they would have funded.

Thanks bro - I never really thought about steam, mostly because I haven't had much luck there in the past, I guess I will decide in a few weeks when all the music/sfx are in and its all tidied up a bit, that's sort of the time frame for "first playable public alpha".  I am not sure how steam feels about really.... rough first alphas getting released on there.  I am still leaning towards releasing this for free but I have a few weeks to figure it out, guess see what sort of state the game is in around then.

Hi everyone, i created an account on this forum just to say that this project is awesome and i can't wait to put my hands on it!
You can sell it or do that hybrid thing you said, either way i'm willing to give you some money and to play with this game, i hope it will be possible soon.  Smiley

And as Jwaap said try to aim at Steam, when the alpha will be ready send it to websites and advertise the full moddability, i think that it has a great potential and if you create some hype Valve will surely take it in consideration, at least i hope so!  (i could easily see this working great with Steam Workshop too)

Oh its worth it - TIGSource is a great forum/community.  Thanks for the support, hopefully it shouldn't be too long away now.

radicalnetwork
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 01, 2012, 09:05:22 AM »

Thanks bro - I never really thought about steam, mostly because I haven't had much luck there in the past, I guess I will decide in a few weeks when all the music/sfx are in and its all tidied up a bit, that's sort of the time frame for "first playable public alpha".  I am not sure how steam feels about really.... rough first alphas getting released on there.  I am still leaning towards releasing this for free but I have a few weeks to figure it out, guess see what sort of state the game is in around then.

I am not a developer but i'm interested in these dynamics so what i can humbly suggest you is to release the alpha elsewhere first and send it also to every possible website about videogames and indie games in particular. Collect some feedback and improve the alpha a little, keeping in mind that when you send a game to Steam the folks who test it are probably going to launch it and try it quickly, so you should keep everything as simple as possible, have an exciting start and then hope they'll like what you have sent them.
Another important thing is that they receive an awful amount of proposals so you have to do all you can to make your game look attractive, this include adding excerpts from articles or even players' opinions, and you should underline what makes your game unique, in this case the graphics and the settings look great but what could really make it stand out among all arcade shooters is this amazing mod tool you're building, which could add infinite replayability and has a terrifying lot of potential.
Another thing to remember is that sometimes it take more submissions to have your game accepted, so if they don't reach back after you send it for the first time, wait some time and then retry, i know of games which needed a handful of submissions to be accepted by Steam!
And also if they rarely sell games while they're in alpha/beta you shouldn't bother, you can sell it there when it's finished if everything goes well. And anyway lately they have more alpha/beta games than before, so that's a good sign.
This game definitely looks cool enough for Steam and i think that it's worth trying.  Wink

PS: I'm sure that this post has some errors, sorry but i'm not a native english speaker.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 09:14:40 AM by radicalnetwork » Logged
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: July 01, 2012, 11:19:55 AM »

Thanks bro - I never really thought about steam, mostly because I haven't had much luck there in the past, I guess I will decide in a few weeks when all the music/sfx are in and its all tidied up a bit, that's sort of the time frame for "first playable public alpha".  I am not sure how steam feels about really.... rough first alphas getting released on there.  I am still leaning towards releasing this for free but I have a few weeks to figure it out, guess see what sort of state the game is in around then.

Oh its worth it - TIGSource is a great forum/community.  Thanks for the support, hopefully it shouldn't be too long away now.

You art is really high quality and it looks great in trailers too. (Excellent tilework, holy shit). I think that gives you a shot. Some of the things I read about making 2 player paid etc. don't sound very wise to me. If 2 people play the free version together and like it it means 2 sales+people to spread the game. It's actually a feature really missing from games nowadays and a big selling point because of that maybe? Anyway, I shouldn't be giving random unwanted business advice. If you wanna chat/have questions about steam just shoot an e-mail to [email protected], not that I'm mr expert but I might be able to help.
I don't have a clue how this failed crowdfunding because it seems awesome to me, might just be a problem of nobody knowing of the game.

anyway, good luck with everything! can't wait to play this one day

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: July 01, 2012, 01:31:15 PM »

You art is really high quality and it looks great in trailers too. (Excellent tilework, holy shit). I think that gives you a shot. Some of the things I read about making 2 player paid etc. don't sound very wise to me. If 2 people play the free version together and like it it means 2 sales+people to spread the game. It's actually a feature really missing from games nowadays and a big selling point because of that maybe? Anyway, I shouldn't be giving random unwanted business advice. If you wanna chat/have questions about steam just shoot an e-mail to [email protected], not that I'm mr expert but I might be able to help.
I don't have a clue how this failed crowdfunding because it seems awesome to me, might just be a problem of nobody knowing of the game.

anyway, good luck with everything! can't wait to play this one day

Sure man actually that would be a huge help, I will send you a email shortly - thanks for the advice so far.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: July 04, 2012, 03:47:47 PM »

So happy America Day everyone - I had to do an update today - not a whole lot of actual game progress since I still have had to make the modding a bit more integrated, should be back on levels next weekish at this rate:

Auto updater so people dont have to constantly manually download alpha updates - just one click and it downloads the latest build into a seperate sub directory so if its broken people can play older builds:

New menu system to support mods a bit nicer - now good content will rise to the first page- just need to do more than 1 icon for map packs now...

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: July 04, 2012, 03:59:40 PM »

Looks like you're putting a crazy amount of effort into modability.  I hope you're keeping the official levels and content up to par as well.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2012, 04:00:52 PM »

Looks like you're putting a crazy amount of effort into modability.  I hope you're keeping the official levels and content up to par as well.

I sure am.  

EDIT: While we are on that topic though, most of the interest in the game has come from people making there own stuff with it, so while that wasn't the focus in the past, for now it is - and it will stay this way so long as people have a interest in modding it.  As for the original levels, the plan hasn't changed.  Going to launch first alpha with 3 of 8 stages, and add a stage or two each update with each major update with any luck.  Plus whatever we make with the editor also.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:28:04 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic