Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:41:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRamBros [All American Co-Op Shooter] - Demo
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: RamBros [All American Co-Op Shooter] - Demo  (Read 74763 times)
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »

Yea either, I think its asking to be done, then again maybe there's not a whole lot of interest for it.  I was thinking for people who donate a sizable amount, not really keen to make a hundred custom versions, but maybe 10 kickass versions?

Also I want to name one of the versions RamBros :  Pretty much Game of the Year Edition , it has to be done.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »

Oh, for sure!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »

Being made into a boss would be pretty fun  Smiley

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2012, 08:36:08 PM »

Being made into a boss would be pretty fun  Smiley

That ones pretty good too, ill ask around see if anyone is keen on that, though bosses are more tied to the storyline  Cheesy  Thats planned, im pretty sure I could push it, considering the story is one giant cliche fest.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2012, 09:29:15 PM »

Or even just being made into one of the random POW you rescue would be neat.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2012, 04:08:24 AM »

COULDN'T HELP MYSELF.

Support if you can guys, every little bit helps!

http://www.indiegogo.com/RamBros-Indie-Game?a=415215

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:36:33 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2012, 11:33:04 AM »

Been loving this a lot so far, too. I'm actually looking fwd to both titles, drastically different as they are in their pacing. Pretty enviable at how well they both seem to be coming out!

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2012, 12:01:26 PM »

I really hope I'm wrong on this, but from the trailer it looks like there's constant screen shaking and explosions, and you have a health bar so getting hit (which will certainly happen because you can't even see what's going on) isn't even a big deal.

I know it's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek and over the top, but you should at least make it so you can see what's going on.

Also, it's a far cry from Metal Slug so I would stop making that comparison.  It's more like super-deformed Contra with worse visibility and a lifebar.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »

I really hope I'm wrong on this, but from the trailer it looks like there's constant screen shaking and explosions, and you have a health bar so getting hit (which will certainly happen because you can't even see what's going on) isn't even a big deal.

I know it's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek and over the top, but you should at least make it so you can see what's going on.

Also, it's a far cry from Metal Slug so I would stop making that comparison.  It's more like super-deformed Contra with worse visibility and a lifebar.

Yea it is tongue and cheek bro, get a sense of humor, the real game is actually pretty slow, I actually camera shaked the shit out of that trailer for the luls, some of the older videos are better rep of how it plays.  I think it has more resemblance to metal slug than contra TBH.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2012, 04:56:25 PM »

Great new fun, crazy video and definitely have gotten more of a Metal Slug vibe from the start of your devlog rather then Contra.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2012, 05:30:03 AM »

Great new fun, crazy video and definitely have gotten more of a Metal Slug vibe from the start of your devlog rather then Contra.

Its crazy how much people try to alike games to another, end of the day I couldn't really give a shit so long as its fun, I've played fan games that are more fun than some blockbuster original games, just how it is.  Initially I threw Contra over some of the early videos (which I have also re-ordered in the first post chronologically).

Some updated screenshots since I haven't posted them in awhile, and also thanks to the people who have helped the IndieGoGo fundraiser with $65 so far!  It seems like a long way to go to reach anything close to livable at this stage, so I'm not sure, maybe the interest in this project isn't that high or I'm doing a shitty job at getting the word out, maybe a little to early to tell at this stage.

Help if you can guys: http://www.indiegogo.com/RamBros-Indie-Game

Enough spam, screenshots!

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:37:18 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2012, 05:38:41 AM »

Also, it's a far cry from Metal Slug so I would stop making that comparison.  It's more like super-deformed Contra with worse visibility and a lifebar.

Yea it is tongue and cheek bro, get a sense of humor, the real game is actually pretty slow, I actually camera shaked the shit out of that trailer for the luls, some of the older videos are better rep of how it plays.  I think it has more resemblance to metal slug than contra TBH.

Even in the older videos it's near impossible to tell what's going on when you're shooting at things.  How are you depth sorting your sprites?  You should be putting all the explosions and random bullet casings way at the back, with enemy bullets at the front.  And the enemy bullets should be bright and glowing.  Your explosions are probably too bright as well.

You can see in this footage of my own game that the explosions are always in back and bullets appear on top of them.

Also I see you didn't reply to anything about the lifebar .. I hope there's a way to play the game w/o one and hopefully it's not impossible to beat it with one hit deaths.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2012, 05:44:44 AM »

Yea its quite the clusterfuck at the moment (in the current vids especially) , I usually particle bomb this stuff then tame it back,  that's what I did for Black Market and Goblin War Machine and Zompocalypse, and I dont really have too many visibility problems with those games, just the way I do things. Ive already done the sorting on the bullets but haven't put up any recent footage yet, probably next video.

[Edit] here's a quick recording of it currently, ill probably chop some of the explosions back at some stage, they are emitting way too much smoke still:  

As far as the lifebar, I'm still toying with it, I'm not sure how I'm going to do the HP yet, I've tried lives, 1 hit (in the very beginning) and I'm not really happy with anything yet, I like lifebars but I don't like that there's a massive disconnect (constantly looking up), to be decided later basically, no right option has presented itself to me.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:08:52 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2012, 08:48:22 AM »

here's a quick recording of it currently, ill probably chop some of the explosions back at some stage, they are emitting way too much smoke still:  

Your bullets are the same color as the enemies, and they cross direct paths with eachother.  That is pretty damn hard to see.  The player's bullets should be behind the enemy bullets, and should never be the same color/tone.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2012, 03:35:48 PM »

I love how all those kills and effects have got such great punch, that's real nice. My only quarble (i made that word up) is the camera, but i'm sure you're gonna work on that Wink

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2012, 06:48:31 PM »

here's a quick recording of it currently, ill probably chop some of the explosions back at some stage, they are emitting way too much smoke still:  

Your bullets are the same color as the enemies, and they cross direct paths with eachother.  That is pretty damn hard to see.  The player's bullets should be behind the enemy bullets, and should never be the same color/tone.

Okay ill tint the enemy bullets a bit more, see if that helps, there's not much that can be done about bullets crossing paths however, that's just how it is, both the characters are roughly the same height, the enemy bullets do sort in front of the players bullets btw.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:54:03 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »

there's not much that can be done about bullets crossing paths however, that's just how it is, both the characters are roughly the same height

Aside from making the enemies taller, what you could do is make the enemies aim upwards so their projectiles form an arc and fall on to the player's position.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2012, 07:26:15 PM »

there's not much that can be done about bullets crossing paths however, that's just how it is, both the characters are roughly the same height

Aside from making the enemies taller, what you could do is make the enemies aim upwards so their projectiles form an arc and fall on to the player's position.

I tried that before and it kinda felt a bit too retarded, im trying to size up the bullet sizes at the moment, so if there's overlap they will still be visible.

[EDIT] I think this is good enough, youtube compression is still making it a little harder to see, but I upped the size, changed the colour, im playing a bit shit today in the recording. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fleXOJQKAME&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:13:54 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2012, 04:04:20 AM »

I tried that before and it kinda felt a bit too retarded, im trying to size up the bullet sizes at the moment, so if there's overlap they will still be visible.

[EDIT] I think this is good enough, youtube compression is still making it a little harder to see, but I upped the size, changed the colour, im playing a bit shit today in the recording. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fleXOJQKAME&feature=youtu.be

That looks better.  One more thing I noticed is the grenade explosions look very similar to regular explosions, except these ones damage you I'd guess.  Suggest changing the grenade explosion color and shape to something more unique.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »

Just made the grenades a little bigger and more red then, Id say they are pretty good now, good call though.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:51:44 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic