Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:30:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsI made a bunch of tilesets and sprites; help me make it happen! [Now "playable"]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: I made a bunch of tilesets and sprites; help me make it happen! [Now "playable"]  (Read 5179 times)
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2012, 05:02:51 AM »

So, I (like most little scrubs) dream about making a game.
Unfortunately, I cannot program for shit.
I have tried, and it...kind of worked..., but it was terrible.

It looked like this:

This time, I want to make a game that is fun to play, and doesn't crash every other minute.
To do that, I need you, the Programmer Gentleman

The game doesn not require advanced mechanics (precise movement, some block-pushing, simple enemy AI and a save system), so it shouldn't be too hard for you programming Gods.

I'm thinking an action RPG, similar to the Zelda games for Game Boy Color, with an emphasis on fighting and exploration, and a couple of simple puzzles.
The story should be delivered mostly through the player's actions, and not with walls of text.
I have many ideas for story and characters, but nothing is decided, and I'm very open for suggestions. I'm usually very amiable, so you'll have great opportunity to shape the game with me.
I will also try my best to make any tileset or sprite you might demand or think fitting; just say the word.

I highly doubt the game will be commercially sellable, so chances are high there will be no money in it for you; BUT, should we collectively decide to go commercial, the profits will of course be split evenly amongst us (and maybe a potential musician).
I wouldn't count on it, though.

The only thing I demand from you, is basic programming skills and great lust to see this through; I work way too much on this (despite not even knowing any code language), and you do not expect you to waste as much time as me on this project, but you must be willing to try.
I have been in too many collaborative projects where everyone else jumps the boat after the second week. Let's not have that happen.

Well then, who will step forward and let me appoint them Head Wizard? Wizard

I thank you all for your attention Grin

(Feedback on the mockups in the uppermost picture is also very welcome; I'm quite aware that I'm no master at pixelart, but I fervently want to learn.)

Here's the latest build, everyone:

http://www.2shared.com/file/8gYUWCZl/Dungeontest10.html

(Now includes tiles and sprites intended for Jasmine's game)
WASD, Z, X, I, Spacebar, Arrow Keys, F2 and F3 does stuff. Try it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:33:45 AM by Theon » Logged
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:22:52 AM »

It definitely looks like you have a lot of work done. Several different tile sets and what not. How large of a game are you wanting to make? Are there any original mechanics or is it simply a zelda-clone (this isn't always a bad thing)?

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:26:30 AM »

Re: Pixel art - looks rock-solid style-wise, at least to my tastes. Sure, everyone can improve, but I'd definitely play something with these graphics.

If you need critique, I'd recommend watching your outlines - I spot quite a few instances in your pic where tiles have strong black outlines, while characters seem to have none at all.
This is something you might want to consider in future projects.

(← new art twitter)
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 01:02:28 PM »

It definitely looks like you have a lot of work done. Several different tile sets and what not. How large of a game are you wanting to make?

Thanks a lot  Smiley
I am thinking rather large in terms of size, as I want the player to be able to really explore a world. Yet, the programming and coded game-mechanics need not be overly sophisticated. I love spending time on putting together mocks, and so mapping shouldn't really be a concern when it comes to the potential programmer's use of time; I'd love to map for hours and hours Durr...?

Are there any original mechanics or is it simply a zelda-clone (this isn't always a bad thing)?

I'd love to glorify it with rosy words like "innovation" and "immersive action experience" and all that jazz, but the truth is...; Yes, I want what you could call a Zelda-clone. Who, Me? Of course, it would be nice with some original items, and I want the story to be quite different from most Zelda titles.
I was also thinking that it would be fun to implement a little "minigame" of procedurally generated dungeons, spawned when the player digs a hole with a spade and jumps into it (using a ropeladder item?). This requires, of course, more advanced coding, and is not really required.

Re: Pixel art - looks rock-solid style-wise, at least to my tastes. Sure, everyone can improve, but I'd definitely play something with these graphics.

If you need critique, I'd recommend watching your outlines - I spot quite a few instances in your pic where tiles have strong black outlines, while characters seem to have none at all.
This is something you might want to consider in future projects.

Wow! I really, REALLY cherish your flattery, my friend! Tears of Joy
It means a lot to me to know that someone would enjoy playing a game with these tiles!

I've been thinking quite a bit on outlining... I started by making some sprites, and found that I didn't really like outlines..., but then I made some tiles, and they weren't very easily readable without outlines... A dilemma Concerned
I will think on what you've said, and maybe try and edit some sprites...
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:11:34 PM »

I'm working on a few things right now, but I can see myself at least making a demo in game maker or flash. I can't commit to much at the moment, but I see no reason why this wouldn't work with a simple game engine. Let me know.

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 03:27:41 PM »

Sounds just wonderful!  Kiss
If you could slap together a working demo, with at least movement and collision working properly, I'd have a great starting point!
Would love it if you could try and explain some of the code to me as well, if you can spare the time; I know next to nothing, but I'm very eager to learn Gentleman

If you PM me an email address, I'll send along the sprites and tilesets I've made.
Some aren't quite done, and I haven't had opportunity to test any of the sprite animations yet, so I doubt they flow very smoothly...

But let me know what to fix, and I'll go for it!!
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 04:25:46 PM »

It sounds like you're really interested in learning (plus you left some nice comment on my most recent devLog  Wink), so I really wouldn't mind being a mentor of some sort.

How about I whip up a quick movement and collision system tonight/tomorrow so that you can at least start to place things in "your world" and start to see things in motion?

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 02:33:30 AM »

Yes! That sounds just wonderful! Kiss
Teach me, Master Beg

I'm sending you a PM!
bjadams
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »

Why not make a simpler project as a first game?
Maybe a puzzle or a project that can be achieved in under 2 months of work?
A Zelda style game will take much more time to complete, and with much sore experience I found out that when projects drag a long time, people tend to fall away and disappear Sad

If you have any ideas for a simple casual mobile style game, I would be willing to help, as I like you artwork.

iOS & Android developer
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 05:15:10 AM »

@bjadams
I understand your sentiments, and that is certainly true for the most part.
Yet, I believe that as long as a solid and simple framework is in place, I'll be able to trdge through the process of creating the whole world and its inhabitants on my own, should everyone else jump the ship.
Try thinking Knytt Stories; The game mechanics are very simple, but the atmosphere in the graphics and sound added to the element of exploration makes the games worth playing (for some).

I might fail horribly, of course, but for the moment I still retain hope :3
Especially since Zack bell, that awesome dude, just made me a smooth movement code!
I'll upload a proof-of-concept demo later today.

I really appreciate that you're interested in working with me, and it really warms my heart to hear people say they like my art (especially HERE, where so many are divinely good at pixelart)!
I would love making a simple game with you, if that's what you want, but I'm kind of skeptical to phone games... I know you can get easy money that way (at least, that's what I hear), but personally I hate touchphones and the fact that they steal all the interesting indiegames from the PC :/
It's hard to even find a phone with proper buttons these days...
bjadams
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 07:24:55 AM »

Good luck with your project Theon, I look forward to play your game.

should you change you mind about casual mobile games, let me know!

iOS & Android developer
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 08:30:36 AM »

Thank you! I'll let you know! :3
Also, now you CAN play the "game"!:

Proof-Of-Concept Build:

Blue Guy Alpha 01

In which:
A Trippin' Blueclad Hero Moonwalks at The Beach,
Makes an Aquaintance with An Unseemly Door
And happens upon A Stranded Goat's Head

http://www.2shared.com/file/BxT1KB14/BlueGuyAlpha01.html

(Well, it's SOMETHING.)

Feedback, critique and general slander is all very welcome.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:36:50 AM by Theon » Logged
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 02:47:25 PM »

God fucking damn it, I'm always in awe when I see a promosing, well-running prototype.

You won't be getting any slander from me, I assure you - I know it's a simple demo, but I had a blast running around that simple map and having a look around the "village".

Who made that map? There has to have been at least *some* kind of planning behind this, even if it was just three minutes of assigning tiles.

(← new art twitter)
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 03:02:38 PM »

I'm going to reply here as well, since I don't think I replied to your email  Tongue
That map is actually pretty awesome, I can see where you misunderstood some of my code, but that was bound to happen since you just started.

I'll rework the standing and walking states with your sprites/animations when you log on tonight and we'll make it so that you can mover between houses and the overworld.

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 04:53:57 AM »

God fucking damn it, I'm always in awe when I see a promosing, well-running prototype.

Those are extremely heart-warming words, good Sir! My Word!

You won't be getting any slander from me, I assure you - I know it's a simple demo, but I had a blast running around that simple map and having a look around the "village".

Who made that map? There has to have been at least *some* kind of planning behind this, even if it was just three minutes of assigning tiles.

Yay! It was fun! My life has purpose! :O
Well, it's really all thanks to Zack here... He wrote all the code, and quite frankly, I don't understand 5% of it Giggle

I made the "map", but yeah, no; not much thought behind it (I just expanded upon some placeholder blocks Zack had put in a room), I'm afraid I have to disappoint you ^^,
I promise I'll really put my heart into designing maps when we get to making an actual game Wink

@Zack Bell
Fantastic!
Truth is..., I don't really understand...pretty much ALL of it Facepalm
You will!? Hooray!!  Hand Shake Left Cheesy Hand Shake Right
DaWojinator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 10:14:36 AM »

When I press up, then press left while still holding up, and then let go of left, I can walk up backwards. Tongue

Simple prototype, so no worries.  I actually didn't think the art looked all too pleasing, but it actually looks pretty awesome in action.

Having criticized your prototype's code, though, I feel obligated to provide a solution.

I'm guessing that you're using keyboard release events for changing sprites back.  In such a case, the situation can be remedied by checking to make sure none of the other three keys are being pressed before changing the sprite in the key release event.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »

When I press up, then press left while still holding up, and then let go of left, I can walk up backwards. Tongue

Blue Guy Alpha 01

In which:
A Trippin' Blueclad Hero Moonwalks at The Beach

Yes, completely *cough* intentional *cough*. I assure you.

I actually didn't think the art looked all too pleasing, but it actually looks pretty awesome in action.

Very good to hear, as I was pretty nervous for how it would all feel in motion, not even having tested the animations Shrug

Having criticized your prototype's code, though, I feel obligated to provide a solution.

I'm guessing that you're using keyboard release events for changing sprites back.  In such a case, the situation can be remedied by checking to make sure none of the other three keys are being pressed before changing the sprite in the key release event.
Sounds like a reasonable solution.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to "check" for anything.
Fortunately, Zack zooms in like a super hero again, sending me an email where he writes that he can fix it for me (with commented code, yay! ...Not that I'm likely to understand much, despite his efforts>_> I'll do my best, of course!)!
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 03:06:01 PM »

The player movement issue is because the player changes facing before it checks that you're checking multiple keys. That is fixed now, as well as the animation issues while standing. He keeps walking because Theon used one image for both the standing and walking states.

Now, the speed and index of the image is reset to 0 and -1 when standing.

EDIT: This may have to be moved to devLogs or feedback if we all keep commenting on the in-game aspects rather than the collab aspects of this post.  Coffee

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 04:14:00 AM »

The player movement issue is because the player changes facing before it checks that you're checking multiple keys. That is fixed now, as well as the animation issues while standing.

I bow before you in reverence Shocked

EDIT: This may have to be moved to devLogs or feedback if we all keep commenting on the in-game aspects rather than the collab aspects of this post.  Coffee

Indeed. I never imagined that we'd get this kicking along so soon!  WTF
How do we call on the attention of the mods?
jamiebell
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »

Dang, man, I'm really excited by this post. The prototype is downloading at the moment, but I can tell without playing it that I'm really interested in this project.

I'm Jamie, and I'm a composer and budding sound designer! I gotta say, just by the way you type alone, I feel like we could work well together. So often, you see a dude type and you just know he hasn't got "it" but I feel like you've really got that zest.

Typing zest makes me feel like a 90 year old woman, but I swear it's from the heart!

Anyway, I'm definitely interested in collaborating on this if you get something up and going! I could do some pretty slick tunes (retro or otherwise!) for you, and make you some sound effects, too!

http://soundcloud.com/jamie-bell-musicsound/sets/music/

I put this portfolio together last night to show a guy doing an iOS game, but there's some stuff in there that might be applicable to you, as well!

Lemme know, man, and I'll be following along with you whether you want me or not! Smiley

Jamie
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic