Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:14:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsProgrammer looking for artist partner
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Programmer looking for artist partner  (Read 2092 times)
DecapitatedOrk
« on: January 13, 2012, 06:29:06 AM »

Requirement: Be the legal age in your country to sign a legal document IE a contract. In America this age is 18. The ability to do art for several long term projects ( The average project is 5 months, give or take a few.)

I'm looking for an artist (Pixel or otherwise, as long as you can animate) to work on several mobile projects with me. I'm willing to do any of the coding/design/marketing necessary as my skills in those areas should be more then enough for small scale projects. In terms of splitting revenue it will depend on the amount of work done (We will hammer this out before we actually start working.) Ideally it would be a simple 50/50 split, however if I end up doing all the programming, writing up all the design and refining it, pulling all my contacts and getting publicity going, while you only do all the art, I think it'd be fair if I got a slightly bigger piece of the pie. All in all, the more skills you bring to the table the bigger cut you get, but I'm perfectly capable of handling everything that's not art related.

In terms of sound and music, I can do some minor sound design and I have a friend who'd be willing to help out with the smaller bits for free, but any serious amount of work and she'll need a bit of cash (Though her rates are fairly low.)

If you're wondering: If this guy has pretty much all the bases covered besides art why should I work with him? Or even, why should I work with him? Well it's really a matter of basic productivity, while I CAN solo grind a project it'd be foolish to do so. If it takes two people about 5 months to finish it, it'd take me about 10 months to finish and end up with a lower quality product. While teaming up with someone else does produce a smaller revenue for the individual, in terms of time efficiency the loss of individual revenue is made up.

As shown by the image above, the total profit of a game in the iOS/Android market place is increased based on the amount of games already released. Which means experience and brand name matters. So releasing smaller products at a higher frequency during the start of our partnership is more important the releasing large products at a slower frequency. Which is why our first few products will revolve around 1-3 mechanics, following the KISS method (Keep it simple stupid). This will perform two tasks: Give us experience with releasing products and build up a name brand, and will show us how well we work with each other over the course of the project. Our first few project have an estimated timeframe of about 2 months (Give or take about 3 weeks for testing/approval/ect.) and an estimated revenue output of about $600 during the first month, after which I presume that it'd be negligible.

Now that my pitch is out of the way, here's a bit about me. I'm a Russian born American and 18 years of age. I've spend most of my time working on small prototypes and reading up about the industry on Gamasutra, and have been doing so for about 3 years. I'm familiar with AS3, HTML/CSS and Javascript but can pick up pretty much any OOB language at this point. I used to do webdesign for a while, but got sick and tired of competing with guys in India who can do a $500 project for $70. I'm currently studying Game Design, and planning on entering the AAA work force in a few years so you can imagine that various projects such as this would look quite nicely on my resume. I listen to Pirate/Viking metal while coding so don't get freaked out if someone of the comments may seem weird. I try my best to make sure that any relevant factors are researched and calculated before any large decisions are made.

If you got through that wall of text and are still interested feel free to post here with an "About me" post. While I really just want to get a clear picture of who you are, there are a few things I'm looking for in particular: Timezone (What times are you available at?), art style, useable skills, preferred method of communication (Skype/MSN/ect), why do you want to work with me.

EDIT: I just spoke my musician friend (Like 2 mins after I posted this.) She agreed to work with us fulltime as a third partner, which reduces the development time even further.  If you would like further insight into my thought process I ran series on Reddit called Design Analysis until my personal life consumed all my time. http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/mbtv1/design_analysis_motion_of_controls/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:44:17 AM by DecapitatedOrk » Logged
DragonSix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:09:18 AM »

I'm not really an artist. But if I was one, and if all a programmer shows me is a graph with dollar signs and absolutely no trace of portfolio or past projects (not even single trace of game concepts), I would fucking run away as far as possible.
DecapitatedOrk
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:25:58 AM »

So absolutely ignoring the fact that I've provided about 4 times as much information as pretty much any other programmer that posted in here. I'd like to point out that a programmer is not an artist. And unless I'm mistaken, I have never seen a portfolio requested from one (Even on job applications to AAA companies [Yes, I review them for fun, don't judge me.])

There's a link to four design analyses at the bottom of my main post. There wouldn't be much point in posting code since to someone who's not a programmer that'd just be a bunch of mumbo jumbo. Since as mentioned before all I pretty much did was prototype various concepts posting any of the compiled code would little more effective then just dumping source code. The last thing I have is my abortion of a Ludum Dare entry which had to be cut short since I had to leave that Saturday.

I mean, I'm looking for a partner because I'm working on building a portfolio and various games. If I already had one, I would either be already working for someone or would've just hired an artist.

While I understand your skepticism, but if someone is saying: I'm willing to do most of the work to make us both money at absolutely zero risk to yourself, I even have a business plan and another professionalism willing to work with us, and the first response I receive is "I'd run like hell." That's kind of disheartening to say the least. Anyhow, as a few examples I have a quick brainstorming session from a year ago here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16NY6XlYf7l8rDbZXiK_SUDcdYhdcfXS-uJ21Z_3IgBg/edit
and a quick iOS/Android GDD
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WZRMcV20YQzhG2OjQI0XHtZuuiYq7Mxzjwep4Crep2Y/edit

I can get some of my prototypes uploaded, but it won't be too different from viewing source code. It'll just be mostly data and different colored blocks.
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 01:00:59 PM »

If I may suggest, some videos of game prototypes you made posted on youtube would make a perfect programmer portfolio. Even if they're not pretty they would still be proof that you can do what you say you can do.

Funnily enough, I'm working as a programmer in medical imagery for a huge company and that's how I convinced them to hire me Smiley
DecapitatedOrk
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 01:27:17 PM »

Fair enough. Though I'm not entirely convinced it's necessary to do so yet, I'll hold off for a few days to avoid possibly wasting time creating videos that would serve no purpose.
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:35:43 PM »

Well OK. See you later when you'll be posting some work, I guess.

(← new art twitter)
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:57:10 PM »

If an artist wanted to work with you, said they were good, you'd want to see some of their work - right? Same goes for musicians and programmers. It wouldn't take long for you to upload some builds of whatever you've worked on before or some videos to youtube.

Better to show a little of something than a lot of nothing Wink

DecapitatedOrk
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »

Like I mentioned before, uploading a build or source code would be pointless unless someone knew what they were looking at. Creating a professional video of said prototype with commentary would take me a solid few hours for each. But, I guess I have no choice.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 05:06:09 PM »

Like I mentioned before, uploading a build or source code would be pointless unless someone knew what they were looking at. Creating a professional video of said prototype with commentary would take me a solid few hours for each. But, I guess I have no choice.
You are right Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

tristendo
Level 0

n00b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 03:04:05 AM »

I am willing to help out with graphics; http://www.milkcrate.com.au/tristan

chek me out tell me what you think.

-One must learn to transcend the illusion of beauty and see all the bad angles and start over from the drawing board.
DecapitatedOrk
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 07:52:26 AM »

I really like your pixel art and illustrations, however it seems that your 3D model link isn't displaying any images.
Jace Boechler
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 12:08:52 AM »

Fair enough. Though I'm not entirely convinced it's necessary to do so yet, I'll hold off for a few days to avoid possibly wasting time creating videos that would serve no purpose.

I think it would be beneficial if you posted something, anything, so we could get an idea of where you're coming from. It's only fair that you show what your capable of if you want to know what others are also capable of. (In your defense what you have posted does show that you are at least dedicated. I'm basically just saying that it would be nice to know your technical strengths and your believed limitations.)

Having said that, I do art and I'm trying to expand my portfolio with collaboration projects such as this, so check out my site: REM-sleep.ca

I don't have any sprite work up right now but I can do it. I must admit that I'm pretty unfamiliar with 3D though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:27:27 AM by Jace Boechler » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic