Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411365 Posts in 69352 Topics- by 58404 Members - Latest Member: Green Matrix

April 13, 2024, 05:18:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingChromaguess - RGB/HSB Color Guessing Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Chromaguess - RGB/HSB Color Guessing Game  (Read 2376 times)
Chrixeleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:04:17 AM »

I posted this over at Super Friendship Club but thought I'd look for some feedback here, too. I've been working on a simple game where you use RGB and HSB color sliders to guess a "target color" as sort of practice for artists, designers, etc. The target color is randomly generated each level and the score is calculated based on how close your guess for each component was to the target components. You can play it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1981214/chromaguess/index.html

So now I'm just looking for some input from other people. How fun/interesting/useful/etc. is it? Is it something worth polishing up and releasing to the greater public? Other suggestions or comments?

Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »

I got 78 overall on RGB and 87 on HSL

I also found a bug (I'm guessing I've managed to somehow set green > 100% which confuses the rendering but is accepted as pretty close to the target colour):

I've had years of familiarity with RGB/HSL sliders so I found it mildly interesting to see how closely I could estimate the colour. But I'm not sure if it would be too difficult for people with less experience.

If you want it to be more educational, it might be worth also showing the correct values on the sliders after you click compare.
Yrgkala
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 05:15:47 AM »

I don't think the game is really useful/educational, but it is interesting.

Thoughts:
* In HSB mode, you can see the color resulting of the sliders on the bottom slider - doesn't this ruin much of the point?
* In HSB mode, perhaps the hue difference scoring should be weighed by the saturation - because if the saturation is near zero, then the hue doesn't really influence the colour? Similarly, hue+saturation should be weighed by value - if the value is near zero, then neither the saturation nor the hue influences the colour. (example: - on the left image, the colours are intuitively much closer than on the right image, but the scoring suggests the opposite because it doesn't weigh H through S and H&S through B). Then again, such weighing would perhaps ruin the point as well...
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:07:56 PM »

Really interesting

hi
Chrixeleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:40:53 PM »

@ Ichigo Jam: Ah, I thought I fixed that bug. D: I must have only fixed it on the HSB side.Thank for finding that! As for difficulty, I was sort of gearing it towards people who already have experience or are looking to get more experience with RGB & HSB. Showing the target values and input values is definitely on the to-do list though. Smiley

@ Yrgkala: Do you have any suggestions about how I could make it more useful? I admit, it is pretty bland right now... I have thought about HSB being too easy because the S & B sliders update, so I'm going to try just keeping them grayscale. And yes, the scoring definitely needs a complete overhaul. I'm basically just averaging the differences between target and input values and giving hue more weight (since there are more values to choose from). I'll try tweaking it as you suggested and see how that works. Thanks!

roboprez
Level 1

Got to love them pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:42:24 AM »

This was great.

Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »

Under the provisions of SOPA, I demand you remove this content at once for infringement upon my own Chromathud. More than 50% of the letters in the title were copied verbatim!

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
Chrixeleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »

Under the provisions of SOPA, I demand you remove this content at once for infringement upon my own Chromathud. More than 50% of the letters in the title were copied verbatim!

Ah crap, I knew I should have come up with a better name. Tongue Good thing the name and title logo are placeholder-ish! I didn't know I was such an infringer. :D

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic