Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:28:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesCorner's Shiny [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Corner's Shiny [FINISHED]  (Read 69217 times)
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2008, 04:07:08 AM »

Totally fits of laughter from the sprawling mess of bugs this game is :D
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2008, 04:17:20 AM »

Oh great, PjongJang did it. Thanks, Jang, you did a good job there!

I'm gonna tell you how this whole development thing worked...

I found this old NES-cartridge in some old basement...

I popped it into my old NES immediately and the game immediately pleased me.

I startet investigatin' and found out it was done somewhere in China as a bootleg of some game that was to be released 20 years in the future.
Just few copies were made but they hardly got popular or even to the US.

The game was glitchy at hell, short and kind of crappy but I found it really fun and wanted to show it to the public.

So I contacted some former developer I found about during investigation. He lives somewhere in Shang Hai, his name is PjongJang. (at least his nickname)

He offered me to port the game to DOS and make really few changes but leave the game the same. I was really excited and asked him to do it.

So we got the game and simply made a DOS->Windows-Port so everyone here can enjoy it without problems. PjongJang backchecked everything and uploaded it and there it is. :D

The game contains a readme and in-game instructions.

Have Fun!

BaronCid

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2008, 04:29:50 AM »

I thought it was pretty neat. Sure, the tunneling was bad and the collisions overall didn't work very well (which I guess ruined the experience somewhat since you couldn't move smoothly in a game about smooth movement), but if you fixed those it would be quite fun to play.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2008, 04:42:08 AM »

Well, the kind of strange collision is also due to the fact we did it with AGS. And that's kinda pain in the ass.

It can be really smooth gameplay but it takes getting used to it.

I can run through the levels smoothly. Wink

Should make a video...

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2008, 04:57:30 AM »

What can i say? It captures the essence of the compo perfectly.
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2008, 05:26:36 AM »

I can run through the levels smoothly. Wink

Oh, I'm sure you can and I'm not saying it's impossible - poor choice of words, I guess. My point merely was that it doesn't feel fluid since you get stuck in things all the time, and while you could as you say get used to how it works the fluidity of the gameplay seems to be close to the core of the game and I would argue that it's a problem if it's not there from the start.

It wasn't meant as a bashing, rather the opposite - I don't think the game is riddled with bugs, I think the collisions are the one thing you need to fix to make it really enjoyable.

On another note, it reminds me of Vertigo;

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2008, 05:51:04 AM »

Oh, and in case what I said came across as bashing, it wasn't meant that way at all. No other game in the compo so far has almost made me fall off my chair laughing. I mean, whenever I fell into a drop and respawned from the start of the level, the player character would simply keep falling through the floor for a couple more times before finally landing on the floor. :D Also once that happened, collisions were majorly screwed and I'd glitch through a platform at the next occasion and fall into a drop that's not even there, etc, ad nauseum. :D It's completely unplayable for me, but this game pretty much is the holy grail of cheap bootlegging.

Also, +5pts for fake forum personae introducing the game Grin
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2008, 06:41:10 AM »

Thanks for your answers so far. Smiley

I have to confess that if we could've made the collision (and several parts) of the game smoother... we would've done it.
But time was kinda running out and we were using AGS (and Akatosh wasn't experienced making jump'n'runs in AGS that much, he was an awesome guy to work with, though!) so we ended up focussing on the fun factor.
The game can be fun, really. I end up having true fun every time I play it, really. :D

I can understand that the many glitches (especially falling through the floor sometimes) can be annoying but it's actually part of the challenge to avoid bad-glitch-situations. Of course that's stupid and wrong to say but I find it entertaining. Concerning the Wall-Jumps etc. and how strange they work (mostly) you can master them by the time... (I kind of did) And it's really compelling to see yourself mastering the different kinds of movements slowly.

At the moment I'm trying to control a glitch wich makes you boost up walljump-walls if you time and aim your jump and direction-commands perfectly. But that's hard. xD 

We could've done better with C++ but well... I can't do C++ and Akatosh isn't as experienced there, so we took AGS. Smiley

We also wanted to kind of capture the bootleggy feeling... or at least the NES-y feeling. Remember certain NES games that had stupid graphics- and gameplay-glitches all the time and you played them anyway because they started to get strangely fun by the time? I love that, and that's what I partially wanted to achieve in this demakes-compo. And I hope/think I at least partially did that.
It makes me happy.

Also: (as I previously stated) I enjoy the game, and that pleases me the most.
I just hope that other people can have fun with the production aswell, but that's just a side-aspect. Smiley I guess that's what indie-game-dev is about: You make the games for yourself and hope the others enjoy them too in some way.

ExciteMike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2008, 08:24:36 AM »

Would someone be willing to mirror this somewhere else?  For some reason esnips won't let me download anything.

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2008, 08:39:28 AM »

http://home.arcor.de/baroncid/CornersShiny.zip

This will probably kill my webspace. But have fun. Smiley

Akatosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2008, 08:57:22 AM »

It's also mirrored over at RAPidsharE, just in case.

But yeah, it would have taken way more than a month to iron out the glitches (including re-writing the way walls are handled more or less from scratch because it's bogus  Wink), so we focused on the really awful game-crashing stuff. The game is playable, and you can view trying to get around the glitches as part of the challenge - as in, aiming exactly for the middle of the small platforms so you don't fall through them.

And if things really go awry, you can hit F9 to restart the game. Because that is an undocumented feature, it will also make you feel cool.

It's completely unplayable for me, but this game pretty much is the holy grail of cheap bootlegging.

I think I'll take that as a compliment.  Wink
Yuka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2008, 09:00:52 AM »

I couldn't get up the wall where you need to walljump.Sad
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2008, 09:03:30 AM »

It's completely unplayable for me, but this game pretty much is the holy grail of cheap bootlegging.

I think I'll take that as a compliment.  Wink

Sure. Smiley As I said, I like its charm.
Akatosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2008, 09:20:12 AM »

I couldn't get up the wall where you need to walljump.Sad

The secret is the timing. Try hitting the jump key a little earlier than seems sensible.
ExciteMike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2008, 09:35:33 AM »

Thanks for the mirrors!
Heh, I hit a bug where when respawning I fall through the floor right away for infinite death loop.  Had a really tough time with the walljump.

Up until bugs made it impossible to play, I really liked it.

kaputtnik
Level 0

Roll over, Stravinsky!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2008, 11:20:38 AM »

If you'd claim that all these bugs were on purpose to show how one really raunchy piece of bootleg looks like, I'd love this game even more.

No, seriously, I was always a sucker for games where you could hit unexpected glitches at any time out of nowhere. Especially if they make you fall through concrete floor, this so Super Mario World!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. | www.56kmodern.com - game truth, shun error.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2008, 11:57:48 AM »

Hehe thanks. Smiley

But did Super Mario World make you die when encountering floor-glitches?  WTF

Well, some bugs are really annoying, indeed.

I'm talking about the "Fall through Floor"-Bugs... and that the game terminates if time runs out. A trick to do that: try to die somehow before time runs out. Shouldn't be too hard.  Wink

Oh and: New Record: 500points. Suck on that, suckers.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2008, 07:19:56 PM »

Pretty conflicted about this game. I love the idea, and the game is a decent start at realizing it. I guess Shit Game is my standard for making something seem buggy but still be fun. No doubt that this has a bootleg feel. Gave up in the second level when it refused to let me grab on to a ladder semi-late in the level and I fell through the platform below it. It's hard to tell how much of the bugs are intentional, but here's some comments. Sorry if some of these sound harsh. I really think it's possible to polish it up to a more fun level in the future! Beer!

The levels are too long not to have checkpoints. I'd probably have kept playing despite the bugs if it weren't for losing so much progress every time I died.

There's something about the area right after the sliding tutorial that stops my horizontal movement if I jump for the second collectible.

Regarding falling through the floor at the start, you seem to save the velocity of the player upon death. Then again, you can easily hit the left wall to slow you down, so that's more of a funny than annoying bug. And it can be used for funny boons to the player. For example, if you keep holding right at the start of level 2, you can start with a double jump after a few deaths.

About the wall-jumps, I think I see sort of how they work. It seems to read what direction you're pressing instead of your momentum or direction. Pressing right makes you jump left, and pressing left makes you jump right, regardless of where the wall actually is. But the arrows still act as movement keys, making it feel wonky unless you get the timing right. That combined with an overly happy collision detection makes it pretty difficult to perform on cue, but not entirely in a satisfying way. That said, I was only able to do the double walljump in the first level when walljumping by using the red momentum's double jump.

About collisions, it looks like you're using a system where it checks where the player would be in the next frame, and only moving it forward if it's safe. The player needs to be close to ladders to use them, but when you're moving fast and doing well, then you stop *farther* from the ladders, often too far to actually use them. I think this is why I can't grab the ladder at the start of level 2 frequently, but can grab the second ladder in that level (the one not on a wall) most of the time. Then again, it seems like even that fails with walls and floors at very high speeds, so I dunno.

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2008, 07:30:57 PM »

I can't seem to get past the first tall ledge!

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2008, 03:23:24 AM »

Thanks Noyb for the comment. Smiley It was really interesting and you are right with pretty much everything you said.
We would've polished it farther if we had more time. But well... 4 weeks weren't really enough for us already since we also had other things to do. Smiley

Also:
The more we move from the current state of Corners Shiny the more we have to... fool AGS (adventure gane studio) into PGS(platformer game studio). Doing that conversion feels like... turning a cat into a dog. Yeah. That pretty much hits it. You can, but it's severe pain (in the ass) and in the end you won't have a perfect result anyway.

Tongue

BaronCid

I can't seem to get past the first tall ledge!

I guess I'll record myself playing through the game once and put it onto youtube. That might help people to get into the game a bit. Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic