Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:10:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Kinect in 3D Workflow
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kinect in 3D Workflow  (Read 935 times)
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2012, 05:55:46 AM »

I'm playing with a Kinect for a school project with some friends, and we're looking at doing a plugin for a 3d modeling package to allow for some gesture-based control. The Kinect isn't nearly precise enough for a lot of things, but as a supplement for specific tasks I think there's some interesting potential (camera control, testing animation rigging, perhaps sculpting etc...).

I'm curious if this is something that anyone would find interesting or useful for 3d artistry? Any ideas or opinions?

This is for a more business-oriented CS class, so opinions from the target audience would be awesome for the planning stages here.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 03:55:35 AM »

for view-port navigation, you could have the user hold both hands open with fingers pointing forward as if clasping a small cube with their palms, then crushing the cube or stretching it would zoom, rotating both hands would rotate the view and moving both hands up down left or right would pan respectively.
I could potentially find that handy if it was quicker/easier to achieve a desired viewport shot than using mouse and keys.
Actually, now that i think about it, for quickly laying out a scene (playing many objects around) those same controls could be very quick (if accurate enough) when applied to transforming an individual object (rather than the viewport/camera) but it would be useless unless you also had a quick and reliable way of choosing the active object to be transformed using gestures.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic