Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:23:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)I just can't get it right
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I just can't get it right  (Read 2209 times)
swordpond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2012, 05:22:24 AM »

I'm currently working on an action platformer, with light RPG features (GM8.1). I'm no graphical artist in any way, and thus when I create something I try to keep graphics simple. This results in "lovely" pixelated sprites, but in most cases it still looks odd and like something I wouldn't want to play.

So I'm turning to you talented TIG artists to perhaps, if I'm lucky, get me some feedback and tips on how to improve the visuals to get a better game in the end.

Feel free to point out anything, no matter how it stings. And if this is the wrong forum, I'm very sorry!

ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 05:32:27 AM »

Looks alright to me.
swordpond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 05:40:28 AM »

How about the background buildings? What do I do to separate the background from the rest? I've tried to make the background buildings lighter and darker, but it still looks odd, and like a graphical anamoly

antybaner
Level 1

also known as antymattar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 06:06:37 AM »

Those also look ok. But If you want tomake them look further away, make their contrast less visible. But really, I think its ok. Its not AAA or perfect but it looks really fun.

swordpond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 06:13:28 AM »

How do you mean make the contrast less visible? Contrast on the actual building sprite, or contrast to the rest of the sprites?

increpare
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 06:16:15 AM »

How do you mean make the contrast less visible? Contrast on the actual building sprite, or contrast to the rest of the sprites?
fade them a bit towards the colour of the background, maybe.  I think the player blends a little too much into the grey buildings right now.
keo
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 06:29:07 AM »

there's a ton of things you can work on.  I always give this advice to people wanting to improve their pixel art.  This is what worked for me.

I spent a couple of weeks doing warm ups, mostly to get use to working with my mouse, and with the program.  Warm ups are great because you don't have to worry so much about the outcome but just focus and experiment with technique colors shapes.  My first pieces were crap but being diligent I quickly improved.

"Getting comfortable" [this is key] pixelling through lots and lots of warms up I think helps tremendously in building skill and moving forward.

I started by focusing 1-2 hour sessions just on one aspect of pixel art, outlines, colors, shadows highlights.  Pick one - I happened to work in that order.

Get to know your programs interface, remove dialogs you don't use, keep it minimal at first.

I still begin a session of pixel work with warm ups, it helps conceive new character designs.  My puny brain is pretty poor at conceiving an image, so I try to experiment with different nose shapes, arms, bodies.  I think if you do this you'll build a solid foundation for future work.  It takes diligence and a willingness to experiment, like with learning anything.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 07:36:17 AM »

There is something that I love about these graphics. Something strikes me about them, I think it's a mix between the colors and character designs.

It definitely does look like something that I would want to play.

antybaner
Level 1

also known as antymattar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 08:18:13 AM »

There is something that I love about these graphics. Something strikes me about them, I think it's a mix between the colors and character designs.

I know right. Its like those first graphics I used to make when i didnt know crap about drawing and making games/music. That brings back memories.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 08:46:53 AM »

I know right. Its like those first graphics I used to make when i didnt know crap about drawing and making games/music. That brings back memories.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I honestly really like these pixels.

antybaner
Level 1

also known as antymattar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »

Nevermind.

I hope you make this game to the end. It looks really spot on to be honest. IT has a sort of quasi simplistic/retro style that you don't see that often these days.  Beg
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I honestly really like these pixels.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:46:10 PM by antybaner » Logged

CEDE
Level 2

Don't Stress, Live a Cool Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 05:05:02 PM »

Another thing I would suggest is maybe changing the color of your character's outfit. In many of these screens he seems to match too closely to the ground he is walking on.

Changing his coloring will help him 'pop' more and aid in visibility.

portfolio | studio | latest game: shade dogs | twitterpost-it
swordpond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 05:50:18 AM »

Thanks a bunch everyone. Not sure if antybaner is sarcastic or not, but nevermind that.

@Gabriel Verdon
I took your advice, and yes, it looks much better now. Just what I was looking for it turned out.

@Cede
The character is up for redesign (Already redone him twice, but he doesn't look the way I want him yet. Any suggestions for color palette for his clothes?

@handCraftedRadio
Thank you for your encouraging words!

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 09:37:46 AM »

What strikes me as odd is that Sunset-like background color. Usually in those circumstances the foreground tends to look a little more darker because of the direct sunlight in our faces, so either go with a darker foreground or change the background altogether.

Whipped this up quickly.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 10:08:46 AM »

What strikes me as odd is that Sunset-like background color. Usually in those circumstances the foreground tends to look a little more darker because of the direct sunlight in our faces, so either go with a darker foreground or change the background altogether.

I assumed it was more of a haze, with the sunlight diffused across the sky. Gabriel's version nails that look, anyway. Imagine the sun is behind the player.
swordpond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »

@kYn
Going purely by the story to explain my choice of color:
It's an alien planet, and to show how harsh climate the planet was suffering from, I had three options: either make the planet frozen, because cold sucks. You can't do a lot with that though, except for... frozen climate. Second option was to make the atmosphere filled with smoke and dust (think Helghan from the Killzone series). This gives you more gray to work with, and ultimately a very boring look. The third option was heat, or at least to look of heat. An alien planet with a very close sun would result in a very vibrant, red color. This can however give some diversity depending on where you are, and what time of day it is etc.

I wanted the environments to not feel like earth, so that's the way I initially thought.

And I made the decision today to redo all of the character sprites, to make them taller and slightly more detailed. Just to get more of a complete look and some personality to the characters, as this is going to be a story driven game.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic