Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:03:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsHelp learning C# for gaming
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Help learning C# for gaming  (Read 7348 times)
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 12:18:54 AM »

I started directly from XNA, which was probably unwise. Since I'm an XNA guy and XNA is good for games with C# imo I'll post some good XNA tutorials: I began at http://riemers.net and started learning it from there. He does XNA tutorials specifically in 3d, 2d etc.
A couple of days in I then realised I didn't know enough about the language and so went here: http://rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/c-sharp-tutorials
For me it clicked properly once I found out about reference and value types.
Riemer is good because his tutorials involve complete games, whereas R.B. Whitaker does more tutorials on more random topics, like normal mapping shaders, etc.
Don't be put off by Riemer's site, it does look a bit terrible but the content is good.
Also when stuck try stackoverflow for general programming, and either TIGS or gamedev.stackexchange.com for gamedev-specific issues

So long and thanks for all the pi
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »

2D 2.5D basic 3D

http://sgdk2.sf.net

Give it a shot, it's how I learned C# when I was a wee lad and now I'm like light years ahead of my freshman programming class

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 12:25:12 PM »

Unity is pretty easy to pick up, and so is C#, and they're both very well documented online, so you can go and teach yourself how to use these more or less for free.

Learning the language and the tools is really the easy part. The less-obvious thing to learn is the computer science stuff like algorithms and data structures and the more general how-everything-works of computers. If/when you go to college, that stuff should all be part of the program, but you can also pick it all up on your own for free if you just keep experimenting.

If there are game dev meetups in your area, I would suggest going to those and meeting as many people as you can. In particular, you'll want to find at least one really experienced person who'd be a good mentor and be willing to do stuff for them for free. Just being around more experienced people in person will help to bring you up.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic