Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:49:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesSilhouette of the Titans
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Silhouette of the Titans  (Read 24137 times)
Shinji16
Level 0

That stupid Bemani kid...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2008, 05:18:55 PM »

I wish to 'preserve' the feeling of wandering around on an empty map.  Tongue

Also, even though there's no way to get it all done before the deadline, I do intend to finish all the bosses.

Compo be damned; you've started something wonderful here.

Smile - life is good!
keiraninlil
Level 0

Keira Ninlil - Artist/Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 04:54:02 PM »

So here's a super zoomed out version of the world map.  It still needs a lot of work, which I can easily do over this week.  So yeah, I'll finish the 'wandering' around part of the game before the deadline.  But that's really it. 

For those of you wondering, I will be continuing the game beyond the competition.  I got a lot of the graphics done, now it's just a matter of putting it together.  Now I gotta go catch up on RL before it drowns me!  Yikes!

My heart is made of flesh.
My dream is made of wind.
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2008, 05:43:30 PM »

This looks great  Cool
I never actually beat SotC.. refused to look at a walkthrough!

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
keiraninlil
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2008, 04:41:36 PM »

This so has nothing to do with anything.

I just wrote a program to take an in-game screenshot of a map.  It then renders all the possible tiles from that map (in given a tilesize) to a tileset.  It then re-renders that screenshot into a map onscreen using the tileset it just created for itself.

So pointless I know, but I needed it as a tool for this game (I did all my work in paint, because I'm a dum dum.) 

d3sphil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2008, 04:54:25 PM »

this looks like pure sex to me.
such a great game; only one thing can make it better: 2d glory.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2008, 09:47:39 PM »

Nice looking map. Total zelda style!
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2008, 09:04:42 AM »

Are the colossi going to be zelda2 style gameplay?
As in side view?
I'm interested in knowing how you'll approach this.

keiraninlil
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2008, 05:36:33 PM »

The world map is just for walking to the destination.  When you enter one of those 'stairs' icons, it switches to a side-view.

As you suspect, that side-view is extremely Zelda 2 in presentation.  All the ideas of climbing, clinging, jumping, and grabbing from the original will still apply.
It's hard to explain, but you're on the right track already.

As for fighting the colossi themselves... well, you'll see.  It's gonna take me another month to do it right, so don't expect it for the compo deadline. 

I've given up on finishing it before then.  Heck, I'm still making graphics!

wourme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2008, 11:27:07 AM »

This is looking very good. It's going to be fun to see the final versions of this and some of the other games that may not be totally ready by the deadline.
keiraninlil
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2008, 03:37:26 PM »

I realize it's waaay past deadline.  But even if I'm out of the running, I'm not gonna stop production on the game!

The Overworld Map + Code is complete.  Give it a shot!

http://www.dreamofwinds.com/soft/mapwalkdemo.zip

Next Step:  Finish Side-scroller graphics.  I still got a lot of work to do.

Here's what Wander will look like.  Yes, it DOES conform to the NES NTSC palette! Tongue

I even have sprite flicker and everything.

Let me know what you think of Wander.  Too anime-ish?  Too short?  Doesn't look quite right?  Anything would help.  I'll get some animations up in a few..um...weeks.  RL keeps dropping a train on me.

Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2008, 03:46:14 PM »

... has encountered a problem and needs to close. They are sorry for the inconvenience.

Sad

increpare
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2008, 05:25:37 PM »

It was pretty pleasant to walk about!  I liked the apple tree.  I've not played the original, so I can't vouch for its authenticity in spirit.  Reminds me a little of The Savage Empire...
atomboy666
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2008, 01:28:53 PM »

Man, I registered just cause this is too awesome. I was wondering if it was possible to add Agro cause I think it would be too detrimental to not have him. Also wondering if you'll be adding easter eggs like the climb on the back of the temple to the secret garden and white tailed lizards and fruit and such. Even if you don't have any of that I'm sure it'll be wonderful. Good luck and it's looking wonderful.
-Atom
keiraninlil
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2008, 01:34:16 PM »

Yeah, I might have to change the fruit tree sprite, but those will definitely bring up a place to explore.  Of course I'll have all the secrets carry over!  Even a white-coloured Agro if I can get to it.

And yes, Agro will be in the game even if he's not *really* playable.  His role is limited to a few game sequences and cutscenes.  I can't really do more than that on an NES.

Of course, at this rate it'll be a looong time before the game is done.  I'll post it when it's done, but don't hold your breath.  At this point, I'm dropping the bootleg bit; it will be a full-fledged conversion.

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2008, 02:56:11 PM »

I'm glad you're continuing to develop this; it's an incredibly ambitious project! Do keep us updated on how it's going.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
atomboy666
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »

It's just awesome that you're willing to undertake something like this. I won't be holding my breath on an impending release but when it does get around to it I'll be first in line. I'd be more than willing to help you test stuff as well, or if you need an opinion on something. Ico and Shadow were some of my favorite games of all time and I've spent countless hours exploring their 'secrets'.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic