Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 03:56:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGameshellsinker -- a beautiful game for beautiful people
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: hellsinker -- a beautiful game for beautiful people  (Read 16176 times)
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2012, 04:45:37 PM »

Alright guys, here's what's going down. Our beloved Cave Story is being whored out indiscriminately. And that's like our community pillar #1. Suffice it to say, God is dead, and we are still here.

Obviously we've got to put another idol up before the whole scene collapses into anomic decay. And I've got just the thing.

Yes, Hellsinker. But why? How does it even measure up to the great Doukutsu Monogatari?

It blows that rabbit-infested fetch quest right out of the water, that's how.

#1: One man, five years. And it looks freaking amazing

Just like Cave Story, right? But here's the snacks: Hellsinker is a modern game for a modern age. We're living in 20XX, folks! We're no longer held back by the waveforms of our forefathers!

Yeah. And that's not even the most intense part of the game. Get to stage six and you meet Apostles of the Seed, which are like The Sisters but they actually pose a threat. And don't even get me started on Rex Cavalier. Homeboy could punch a hole right through Balrog.

Yes, I know Cave Story is popular for its everyman appeal. Its simple graphics and music inspired us to make our own in turn. But look at our everyman now. Do you really want to aspire to be pimped out by Nicalis? 'Cause I don't think that's what you want at all.

#2: Genre-bending gameplay that is OFF THE unCHAIN

Look, we all know you guys don't like shmups. XOP Black Ultra just got released and everyone collectively scattered off. And while we all profess to like Jamestown, we certainly didn't welcome the dev team when they showed up here.

Here's a chance to redeem yourself. Yes, Hellsinker looks like a bullet-hell shmup, but it sure doesn't play like one. In a genre known for its incestuous breeding process, this game departed so far from the norm that it's a wonder people lump it into the shmup genre at all.

THIS is how you do innovation! I see so many people here trying to "be experimental" and "break molds" and whatnot. And how exactly do they do that? Procedural generation and metroidvania elements.

SNOØ0ΩθRE.

#3: Enlightenment

So you know that feeling you got when you finally put the pieces together and figured out how to revive Curly? No you don't, because nobody could ever know to do all the necessary things without looking at a FAQ at one point.

I, however, know the feeling when you finally understand how the game is meant to be played, and blast through all nine levels executing chain attacks against mammoth bosses with unparalleled speed and precision.

That happened eight weeks ago. My balls haven't stopped tingling since.

———

Well, there you have it. That's my proposal. To blow up that statue of Cave Story and replace it with one of Hellsinker.

But I know you're all thinking: "but it looks so complicated!"

No it isn't. There are more than a few reference materials that explain things rather easily. Here, I'll even get you started:

http://sanagimaru.nobody.jp/c72.html (here's the official site for the demo)
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=26334 (the current getting started guide)
http://wiki.hellsinker.tk/wiki/Main_Page (wiki for everything else)
http://www.7-iro.org/store/list.htm (and here's for when you wanna buy it for real)
http://www.7-iro.org/store/store.htm (oh, but first, add international shipping to the order here)

To be honest, the only thing that makes this somehow "more difficult" is that it has a very unique method of play. This isn't your sissy modern bullet hell, where you're just kickin' back and dodging bullets while everything gets mowed down with your screen-wide laser. This game is all about giving you a number of situational tools, then leaving you to figure out how to use them to kick ass. This is a game about where to strike, when to strike, and how to strike.

Just trust me. Learn Minogame. Learn his attacks. Don't play this like a traditional shmup. The enlightenment will come shortly, and it will be glorious.

But you don't care; you're all like "but what about all the barssss...?"

Listen. Shut up. Back when I joined the scene, I was constantly bombarded with cryptic jargon. Words like "icebergvania", "emergence", "Derek Yu", and others were all thrown in my face like wet cardboard. And you're telling me that you can't remember that "Sol" means "Bomb" and "Subweapon" means "Subweapon"? Do you also post those idiotic "but you missed an enemy" comments on no-miss videos too?

So "Sol" means "Bomb". Subweapon is obvious. Stella is rank. The rest are for score and don't matter. They're hipster bars.

———

We are living in dark times. Our 8-bit haven has failed us, and we have been forced to roam the streets. Voices rage against us, tearing us apart one by one. They turn us upon each other. They make us question who we are, and if we ever were what we thought we were. With one hand we push back those who wish to destroy us. With the other hand we try to cling onto something...anything...

The past has slipped from our grasp.

The future has slipped from our grasp.

We can only cling to the present.

We can only place our hope in Hellsinker.

Keep your dignity.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »

Can I just post what you wrote to the front page and then go back to cuddling with my Mimiga plushies?
RCIX
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:15:05 PM »

That happened eight weeks ago. My balls haven't stopped tingling since.
You might want to get that looked at. I hear those sorts of things can lead to being unable to have children.

Can I just post what you wrote to the front page and then go back to cuddling with my Mimiga plushies?
NEVER!!! You must get back to work on spelunky XBLA! *cracks whip* (or start your next project if that's done)

Wink
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »

who needs children when you got vidgames

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 05:27:24 PM »

Noah!, you are either a mad genius or just plain mad. The jury's still out on that one.

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:41:20 PM »

If you're serious about the front page thing, by all means go ahead! It really sucks when a super-great game gets overlooked, and from what I've heard, this game is about as obscure in Japan as it is over here. And this game has had too much effort, polish, and love put into it to be as outright ignored as it has been.

If you're serious about the cuddling with mimigas thing...let me know where i can get my own because toroko just looks so cute and cuddly!
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 05:44:46 PM »

One question: What makes this game so innovative/genre-defying?... Unless there's some subtle mechanic I'm missing it looks like it plays a lot like a normal shmup.

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »

Wow, that is an awesome post dude. Downloading the demo right now, from that video I'm guessing it's at least 150% better than Cave Story. Hopefully all those gauges don't just amount to shit I won't have to learn to clear the game.

EDIT: ok wtf is going on here lmfao
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:01:32 PM by DavidCaruso » Logged

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »

I get the desire to have indies worship another title you deem worthy of praise, but comparing the "goodness" of the games to each other in an attempt to "usurp the throne" of the other is just getting juvenile.

Waaagh!

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:08:07 PM »

One question: What makes this game so innovative/genre-defying?... Unless there's some subtle mechanic I'm missing it looks like it plays a lot like a normal shmup.

It's...difficult to explain, and a lot of it has to do with feel. Basically, the idea is that, instead of having one or two offensive weapons that you use to mow down tanks, you have about five or six complementary weapons (and a very important defensive tool) that you have to balance if you want to succeed.

The closest I can compare it to is how Alien Soldier feels compared to Contra (NES).

I'll admit that the video didn't do a good job of showing the distinction off, mainly because the character used (Kagura) is more about sacrificing diversity for all-around versatility. Unfortunately, that was the only video I could find that was hi-quality, competently played, and didn't spoil too much of the game for everyone.

Also, it might be helpful to note that most of this post was written directly in the wake of Cave Story+, when everyone was freaking out about how Nicalis was tarnishing the good name of Cave Story. For some reason I didn't post it then, but just left it to rot until it lost all contextual value it had in that regard. Sorry!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »

Well, the piece is a bit of an overcarusofication. I mean, you didn't mention Super Meat Boy or quicksaves, but you probably hit enough points for a BINGO anyway!

Honestly, I'd rather print a piece that was just about Hellsinker (or moreso), because I think it does the game better service, but if you feel the humor or attack is worth it, I'd post it anyway. I do want people to find out about good niche titles from the people who are the biggest fans.

So yeah, basically if you want to edit this or write something else, I'll post that. If you want me to post this as is, that's fine with me, but you'll probably lose some potential fans over the ensuing drama.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »

Pshh, I'm indie. I have no fans.

But I see what you mean. And while it's one thing to be edgy, it's another to effectively unload a big steamy one onto a game that tons of your readers love.

Tell you what, I'll try my best to write a nice, strait-laced bit about Hellsinker. If it comes out reasonably well, I'll post it up in the guest articles topic. My only fear there is that the game itself is fairly polarizing. This isn't your typical pick-up-and-play platformer. Rather, it's one of those games where you'll be floundering about in WTF land for a solid few hours until you finally "get it." And while it's an absolutely phenomenal game once you get past that barrier, the sad truth is that, whether it's because of poor documentation or the game itself, the barrier still stands. Would it be worth it to post something tantamount to "hellsinker -- it gets better, honest!"?

I guess I'll leave that for you to decide.
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »

Played a bit more and got to stage 3. I feel like I'm not actually using my main shot much at all within the levels so far. Mostly I've just been moving my subweapon guy around and relying on it, and also using my sword charge aura to slow down bullets/(un)chain, but I doubt that'll work forever. I don't get a lot of the game's system at all (the Japanese doesn't help either) and I've been using default settings for everything (should I be?), but it seems pretty good so far, and the bosses own. Seems to be throwing extends out to me quite a bit though. Haven't been paying attention to the HUD at all either, bet that'll hurt me later if I have to rank control.

Well, the piece is a bit of an overcarusofication. I mean, you didn't mention Super Meat Boy or quicksaves, but you probably hit enough points for a BINGO anyway!

Yeah, he did.

Congratulations, Noah!

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
iffi
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 08:50:20 PM »

The sound effects in the videos I've seen make me want to mute my speakers, or at least turn them way down, but the game itself looks interesting. Hopefully it runs smoothly on my netbook (both my desktop keyboards suck for SHMUPs).

@DavidCaruso: What's the top-middle box? Physics?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »

i'm not sure it's true that tigsource players don't like shmups. besides jamestown, there was also hydorah, warning forever, the kenta cho games, many of cactus's shmups, everyday shooter, jeff minter's games, rob fearon's games, and so on. it's true that platformers (in particular, metroidvanias) seem to be tigs #1 genre, but i'd say shmups are definitely genre #2 in popularity here

this game does look good though, but the post at the top doesn't seem very informative about it. after reading it, i still didn't know

a) whether the game is free or not
b) who made the game, and whether they were western or japanese
c) exactly how the game is thought to be innovative/non-standard as a shmup

so if this review is posted on the frontpage, i'd suggest providing that information

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 11:17:41 AM »

Thanks Noah!, I'm still learning the game but I've a feeling that this will  Cave Story for me. Smiley

Ashkin
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »

I'm not beautiful, am I still allowed to play this?
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 04:45:04 PM »

I'm not beautiful, am I still allowed to play this?

Do not worry. The game will make you beautiful.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »

This game...
 WTF

I'm disappointed that I can't get the patch though. The link was broken.

saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 05:21:33 PM »

Why do these doujin guys never go for digital distribution? Or am I missing something?

And I'd love to read a negative review of Crimzon Clover, dry wit included. You have at least one fan now. Entertain me!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic