Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:31:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesMorning of Failed Diplomacy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Morning of Failed Diplomacy  (Read 4115 times)
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:44:20 AM »

An idea just jumped in to my head for making an excessively gory RTS based on a game based on a dark future where there is only war. I would like to team up on this one for a change. I have a history of finishing Tig Compo Projects, see Toadzilla (B games), and Papal Shotgun Gladiator (VGNG).

I am willing to do all the programming, and share the source code with all project members. I already have some code from another project that I can retool to match my game idea.

What I will need are:
* Pixel artists,
* Sound fx / Music people,
* Level Design / play balancers

If you are interested PM me or respond to this thread.

What I will provide:
* Source code and running executables for the program
* Web hosting for the latest builds
* Tools to facilitate level creation

What will be needed from the pixel artists:
* Tiles of different terrain
* top down pixel art of all the units: Walking, shooting, and melee fighting
* possibly terrain objects like trees and bushes

What will be needed from the sound fx / music people:
* mood matching music in midi format
* sound effects of all the weapons in 8bit mono .wav format

What will be needed from the Level Design / play balancers:
* create interesting levels from the level design tool provided
* advice to the programmer on unit variables like movement speed, attack rate, attack damage, special abilities, and AI

One final note, I don't want to pigeon hole anybody into one roll. I expect everyone to have ideas on the design of this game. Which ideas get implemented however will be based on the willingness of the team members to implement it. That is if I want a unit to do a spinning crescent kick melee attack but nobody wants to do the animation for it, that unit doesn’t get that attack. Similarly if you want several units to combine together to form a super unit then split apart and fight individually, I have every right so say no based on the complexity of the programming involved.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:08:52 PM by hamster » Logged

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:05:37 PM »

Diplomacy.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:07:45 PM »

Wow I completely forgot to give details of the idea, so here goes:

The game will take place in a top down rendered format.  The ground will be covered in a tiled landscape of grass, shrubs, rubble, and what ever the artists feel like drawing. Each tile will have a movement and concealment value.  There will be three factions Reds (marines), Greens (orcs), and Blues(space elves).  All of their units will be dressed in their side’s primary color. When hit they will bleed that color blood as well. All units will be able to move around at different speeds as well as do melee combat (with varying degrees of success). Some units will be able to employ ranged weapons. Some units will also be able to heal or give buffs within a certain radius. There will be no unit creation in game, the forces you start with will have to last the encounter.

The interface will be done mostly through the mouse but hot keys will be available for unit selection and special commands.  Standard RTS convention of left click select, Right click attack/move. Each unit will have a movement AI variable telling it to retreat from enemy contact, hold ground, pursue enemy up to a certain distance, pursue enemy until it is killed.

I am still open to what types of units will be available for each side and what their capabilities will be.

I intend on certain tiles slowing a unit down but no tiles bringing a unit to a dead stop. I don’t want to have to code path finding into this game. Similarly some terrain will provide concealment meaning if a bullet passes through that terrain square there is a chance the bullet will be stopped by it.

The first game mode I want to make is Skirmish, where the player faces off against a random selection of enemies in an arena type map. The player will be able to choose which units they have and their initial deployment base on some point system. If time allows I would also like to have a campaign mode with some story.

[edit] thanks for the spell check Zachary Hinchliffe [/edit]

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »

This sounds pretty neat!  I can help out with graphics!  I'd love to draw some little marines/space orks/space elves. Beer!
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »

FYI units will be rendered in top down perspective so I can rotate them to face the enemy. Isometric is too much work for a project on this time frame. Of course I would not say no to concept art from our glorious leader.

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 06:19:07 PM »

If I can't find someone else to work with, the least I would like to do is provide some gfx for you!I could also maybe do some design work too.
flod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 02:51:54 AM »

If audio position is still open, I want to help out!
Midi you say, how about tracker format (.xm /.mod) instead? Anyway I can still do midi
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic