Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:35:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSolar War - Turn-based space strategy (Windows+Linux demo out now!)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Solar War - Turn-based space strategy (Windows+Linux demo out now!)  (Read 9643 times)
Cironian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 08:58:10 AM »

I need testers!

Specifically, I need a few people to play the game for the first 30 to 60 minutes or so and tell me if the tutorials I built in there are sufficient or whether something needs more explaining.

Those should be people who never tried the game before and know nothing of the controls, so I can't use any existing testers.

Anyone interested?

Solar War - Turn-based space strategy
AmericanBarbarian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 10:23:34 AM »

I'd love to test out the tutorials, I signed up for the site but need a registration key.  Using a small number of units to introduce the mechanics seems like a good idea, can't wait to see how it plays out.
bartholomew
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »

me too, i suck at strategy games so i'm a good test object Wink
Cironian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:56 AM »

Thanks a lot! I sent the two of you a registration key via PM. If you didn't get it for some reason, let me know.

bartholomew
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 12:20:36 PM »

i played about three quarters of an hour than the thing crashed on me.

First impressions:

There are a lot of numbers. I ignored all of them. I never know what to look for, it always takes a lot of time for me to get used to all the stats. I played through the first battles just fine but lost a lot of units, didn't know what was good against what or what is a good percentage/range etc.(the numbers thing). But the battle tutorial was ok. But perhaps mostly because there wasn't much for me to do besides moving forwards and attacking.

The other stage i was pretty much lost. I've played xcom and i think the basics are the same but after that... no clue. Should i just invite every country to the council, what is the difference between associate member and the other thing, i played and built a lot of ships until there were no more people to commandeer them, i have no idea why. I haven't been attacked once, should i have been patrolling? The tech tree could be nicer. (But i have to say i was pretty much the same with xcom, so my criticisms probably don't mean much)
AmericanBarbarian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 06:16:24 AM »

I'm experiencing a crash as the game loads around the 33% mark.  In both the java and stand alone exe.  System info : Win7 64-bit , 3 gm ram, integrated graphics card, 1.3 Intel Core Duo.  It's an older system, but I don't know whats causing the crash.  Running updated Chrome for my web browser.  Updated Java to try the web game the first time too.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:38:05 AM by AmericanBarbarian » Logged
Cironian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 04:41:44 PM »

There should be a crash dump file in "C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\Solar War". Can you tell me what is in there?

AmericanBarbarian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »

This is the crash data
java.lang.RuntimeException: Loading of shader 'hardglow' failed.
   at com.snipefish.solarwar.gl.ShaderManager.load(ShaderManager.java:125)
   at com.snipefish.solarwar.Game.loadResources(Game.java:179)
   at com.snipefish.solarwar.gui.InitMode.processFrame(InitMode.java:102)
   at com.snipefish.solarwar.Game.gameLoop(Game.java:593)
   at com.snipefish.solarwar.Game.execute(Game.java:467)
   at com.snipefish.solarwar.Game.launchApplet(Game.java:630)
   at com.snipefish.solarwar.GameApplet$2.run(GameApplet.java:48)

More specific error

java.lang.RuntimeException: Loading of shader 'hardglow' failed. Reason follows: [(loading) ERROR: 0:1: '' :  Version number not supported by GL2
ERROR: 0:37: 'f' : syntax error parse error
 ]
   at com.snipefish.solarwar.gl.ShaderManager.load(ShaderManager.java:136)

Graphics is an Intel 965 integrated.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:19:12 AM by AmericanBarbarian » Logged
Cironian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 02:03:57 AM »

Looks like your integrated card does not like the shader. What type exactly is it?

Also, I just uploaded a new version which includes the error message from the graphics driver in the crash dump file. Can you try again and post that message?

AmericanBarbarian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »

Looks like your integrated card does not like the shader. What type exactly is it?

Also, I just uploaded a new version which includes the error message from the graphics driver in the crash dump file. Can you try again and post that message?
More specific error

java.lang.RuntimeException: Loading of shader 'hardglow' failed. Reason follows: [(loading) ERROR: 0:1: '' :  Version number not supported by GL2
ERROR: 0:37: 'f' : syntax error parse error
 ]
   at com.snipefish.solarwar.gl.ShaderManager.load(ShaderManager.java:136)

Graphics is an Intel 965 integrated.
Cironian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 02:12:30 AM »

Looks like that card has OpenGL 2.0/GLSL 1.1 support only (see here: http://ozone3d.net/gpu/db/index.php?id=16433), when my shader code needs OpenGL 2.1/GLSL 1.2 at least. And there I thought I was playing it pretty safe with the requirements. Thanks, Intel!

Too bad, but I think it's a little late for me to consider rewriting all my stuff to an even older version. I might look at providing alternate shaders post-launch, but for now my todo list is overflowing as is.

AmericanBarbarian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 07:07:05 AM »

Thanks for looking into it, happy to help nail down a weird bug.
bartholomew
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 07:21:04 AM »

don't know if it matters but mine was:
Code:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot instantiate submodule: 100701
at com.snipefish.solarwar.ModuleFactory.getModule(ModuleFactory.java:131)
at com.snipefish.solarwar.gui.strategic.BuildSelector$BuildSelectorButton.pressed(BuildSelector.java:488)
at com.snipefish.solarwar.gui.strategic.BuildSelector$BuildSelectorButton.access$000(BuildSelector.java:432)
at com.snipefish.solarwar.gui.strategic.BuildSelector$BuildSelectorButton$1.run(BuildSelector.java:450)
at de.matthiasmann.twl.utils.CallbackSupport.fireCallbacks(CallbackSupport.java:153)
at de.matthiasmann.twl.model.SimpleButtonModel.fireActionCallback(SimpleButtonModel.java:124)
at de.matthiasmann.twl.model.SimpleButtonModel.buttonAction(SimpleButtonModel.java:108)
at de.matthiasmann.twl.model.SimpleButtonModel.setPressed(SimpleButtonModel.java:81)
at de.matthiasmann.twl.Button.handleEvent(Button.java:285)
at com.snipefish.solarwar.gui.strategic.BuildSelector$BuildSelectorButton.handleEvent(BuildSelector.java:624)
at de.matthiasmann.twl.GUI.sendMouseEvent(GUI.java:1036)
at de.matthiasmann.twl.GUI.handleMouse(GUI.java:820)
at de.matthiasmann.twl.input.lwjgl.LWJGLInput.pollInput(LWJGLInput.java:65)
at de.matthiasmann.twl.GUI.handleInput(GUI.java:693)
at de.matthiasmann.twl.GUI.update(GUI.java:561)
at com.snipefish.solarwar.Game.gameLoop(Game.java:588)
at com.snipefish.solarwar.Game.main(Game.java:649)
Cironian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 08:57:02 AM »

Oh, that's a good catch since it looks like that one only happened at certain configurations of known techs.

Fixed it now. Until I push out the fixed version just don't use the "new ship design" button. You can still make new designs by opening an existing one and then saving it under a new name.

Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 11:40:53 PM »

Are you looking for any more testers?

Liosan

Cironian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »

Are you looking for any more testers?

Liosan

Sure, more help is always welcome. Sent you a key via PM.

Cironian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »

Wow, long time since I posted anything in this thread. That doesn't mean that development has stopped though.

I released the first one minute trailer for the game today:

It's a bit hard to showcase a game as focused on mechanics, but I think people can get a rough impression from this.

Next up on my list is a longer trailer where I show and talk about various gameplay systems. I hope to get that done this week, but we all know things always take longer than planned.

After that, I might start putting a discounted Alpha version up for sale somewhere and/or release a short demo. The demo would contain a brief battle scenario. (Something that takes around 30 minutes to play through and which I still have to build)

Cironian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 03:25:24 AM »

So, the current Alpha of Solar War is now up for sale on Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/solar-war

Hooray! I guess. Still a ton of work to do, but getting to this point is at least a partial success. Plus, now that the game is available to the public it's easier to get motivated about finishing it.

Now to get the Linux version out and build the most amazing demo ever...

Cironian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 02:08:25 AM »

Now to get the Linux version out and build the most amazing demo ever...

Mission successful! Both Linux support and demo version are done. Together with a lot of bug fixes and new features. Really nice for just 2 weeks work, if I may say so myself. Lots of hours though, so I think I'll reward myself by relaxing a bit this weekend. Tired

You can get the Demo right now at http://solarwar.net - It's quite a large share of the full game, the only difference is that the tech tree is locked out above a certain point. I'm guessing it should be at least an hour of content for the average player.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic