Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:03:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesHyper Solar-System Plumber [Finished]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Hyper Solar-System Plumber [Finished]  (Read 25641 times)
drakfyre
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2008, 12:40:02 PM »

Well, in spite of having wanted to get more game play features (like sound!) and actually get it to look like an old game than what it does right now, I am calling this finished.  This is probably late to announce, and if I am disqualified that's fine, but the build hasn't changed since the 14th due to my broken computer.  Anyway, thanks everyone and I had fun, and hopefully I'll have a machine up and running to enter the next compo!

High color! (Implemented!)  Jump planet to splat mushrooms!! (Implemented!)  Pipes of teleportation! (Not Implemented!)

For all system, especially game system Atari and NES!

Please download my game and tell me if you have trouble getting it running!

NOTE: I don't know how to package frameworks in an app for Mac OS X.  As such, you will need to install the SDL framework and the SDL_image frameworks for the mac build to work.  If you are getting a crash right at launch, it's because you are missing these frameworks.
SDL: http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.13.dmg
SDL_image: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/release/SDL_image-1.2.6.dmg

Downloads: (Updated August 14th 4:10AM PST) -- MAJOR improvement to speed of PSP version, some gameplay tweaks.  Thanks goes to James for all his help!
Windows
Mac OS X (Universal, 10.4 or higher)
PSP (Hacked, of course)

Controls: Left arrow - Move Counterclockwise, Right arrow - Move Clockwise, Z - Jump, Enter/Return - Start
PSP Controls: Left - Move Counterclockwise, Right - Move Clockwise, X - Jump, Start - Start

Here's a screenshot!

As you can plainly see, the red dot is a plumber, the big blue circle is the starting planet, and the other circles are other planets that just scrolled in from the right.  Look at my video

to see it in action, this game is NOT photogenic. Smiley  (Note: Video is old.  Updated video coming soon.  In the mean time, why not play my game?)  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:55:50 PM by drakfyre » Logged
drakfyre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 06:02:36 PM »

Feel kindof lonely replying to my own post.   Cry

Anyway, I've made some progress on my Hyper Solar System Plumber, and made a brief video on YouTube of my (very pre-alpha) game in action.  I am using SDL and OpenGL, and currently developing in XCode on my Mac, but I will be porting my game to PC and possibly PSP as well.

Currently, I have really hackneyed physics (But really, not all that different from the actual Mario game), and only the basic gameplay movement mechanics (There is no way to die currently, you just keep going forever).  Enjoy!
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 06:17:29 PM »

That's interesting, actually. You'll see more responses if you put more screenshots in your post, though. We TIGers are whores for colorful posts. WTF
ExciteMike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 06:50:02 PM »

Shoot.  I guess I'm not the only one who had the idea of demaking Super Mario Galaxy...

drakfyre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 01:39:40 AM »

Added windows binary, got cross-compiling working on my Mac!  Link in first post!
SteGriff
Level 0

SƟ3:UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 04:00:33 AM »

Wicked demo, mate.
I look forward to some objectives being implemented Smiley

I wanna make robots.
increpare
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 04:20:48 AM »

In the mac version, all the planets seem to clump together on the left-hand-side of the screen...
drakfyre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 09:26:03 AM »

That's actually a feature at the moment (it happens on both versions), and may stay (Might have the planets actually collide though, we'll see).  Basically, I am planning on having some sort of "thing" that they start slowly sinking into (I'd say black hole, but you know, that's kindof counter-intuitive to how they work).  The reason I did it in the first place is it makes it MUCH less likely to be in a situation where it is impossible to get to the next planet.  The final version of the game will probably have some fail-safe code to make it so it is not possible to have a no-win scenario.
medieval
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 12:30:59 PM »

That's the best title ever :D
drakfyre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 12:27:56 AM »

Updated builds.  Now with Poobahs, little enemies to squish.  They can kill you too!  And so does the left edge of the screen!  Stay away from it!  Also, an experimental PSP build is up there too.  Have fun!
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 12:59:08 AM »

Now with Poobahs...

Awesome  :D

Requesting that the big ones be called "Grand Poobahs."

tweet tweet @j_younger
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 09:33:09 AM »

LOL! Terrifyingly this is very similar to a concept I'm actually designing for my job...

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
drakfyre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 11:52:40 PM »

Updated build, now with scoring!  And title screen!  (Enter/Return to start, or Start on PSP)
increpare
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 02:41:23 AM »

the new mac version doesn't launch for me Sad
drakfyre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 03:13:11 AM »

Sorry, I added a framework that's less common than just pure SDL.  It's called SDL_image.  I have put links to SDL and SDL_image in the main post.  After installing these the game should run.  I will try to get them packaged with the game later, I just don't know how to do it at the moment.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 08:21:13 AM »

I played the PSP version for a good 15-20 minutes. It was quite fun!

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 03:50:52 PM »

Quite interesting! The physics need some work, as some counter-intuitive situations arise at times because of it. Basically, instead of instantly switching from one planet's gravitational field, it should happen smoothly, and the plumber should draw a gentle curve in space instead of a stark angle while jumping from one planet to another. Never mind that, though; this is quite a creative idea.

drakfyre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »

So, just wanted to give an update.  I may not end up working more on this project, because unfortunately, this weekend I drove over my laptop.  (I don't have a desktop)  It was an accident that I am still kicking myself over, but as a result, my development has ceased until I can get the machine repaired/replaced.

Cry
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 06:19:41 AM »

So, just wanted to give an update.  I may not end up working more on this project, because unfortunately, this weekend I drove over my laptop.  (I don't have a desktop)  It was an accident that I am still kicking myself over, but as a result, my development has ceased until I can get the machine repaired/replaced.

Cry

That royally sucks.
trabitboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 07:17:31 AM »

it's a shame, just discovered this project,
and from the youtube vid it looks extremely fun ! Beer!

even the simple graphics make it look cool  Wink

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic