Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:34:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSphere Shift
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Sphere Shift  (Read 5957 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 08:35:44 AM »

Recent changes : Enemies that activate after a certian amount of time now have countdowns above them to show when they'll activate.  Also, when you warp into certian objects it will now display a "Blocked" message/sound when warping you back.

Some new enemies have arrived.  Magenta, Yellow and Teal enemies are around now.

Screenshots of some WIP levels :

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »

Good to see you're making progress, had a quick play, its prettty fun.

That UI has got a lot more complicated, is there any important info you wanted to stand out? Or is it all vital?

Also can you applying filtering to the rotated world sprite?

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 05:30:59 AM »

The level display is the least vital, bonus items collected isn't very important either.  I could try hiding the spring, platform and bomb displays if there are none in the level.

I'll probably add filtering in a later update.

Another new level shot.  It's an internal level, but there's no ring around it to keep you inside.  If you fall off, you're dead .. watch your step!

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 06:55:07 AM »

Nice change from the sphere. Think it will really mess with the player not having the safety of the sphere to fall back onto.

TurboLento
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 02:51:06 AM »

I loved this game! Love the graphics, the physics feel, the whole thing. Feels very polished, and would be a memorable 90's console game.

Now some complaints!

The rotation kind of messes with my eyesight, I kind of have to unfocus my sight and not look at any moving part. Not sure how to fix that, but just thought I might tell you this could be an issue with more people. It's worst when I look at the middle ground ball when it's rotating, or try to follow any rotating objects with my sight. But it's fine when the character is stationary (this is an issue that i've noticed with myself when playing other games which feature full screen rotation. I can play FPS games fine though)

It's very unforgiving on placing spring and platform errors, if you make a mistake you have to restart the level. Maybe give the option to turn the platform or spring back into a bonus ball, or just absorb them when pressing their "place" button? I got stuck on that level where the exit is in the air since I, repeatedly, couldn't place the platform in the right place (which also happened due to the problem I mention next).

I could never figure out where the platform was going to appear. Maybe pressing "Q" makes a a little preview box on where the platform will appear, and then mouse click places it. Could even allow the user to "aim" where the platform would be placed, within a radius around the character.

I constantly forgot which key does what. Maybe keep a small drawing on the top corner on what key does what - as in "Q - flip, E - platform, F - spring"? Or reduce the number of keys used, by using an "inventory" key, that activates an inventory (Minecraft), or flips between the available actions, and another to "use" the action selected (Comix Zone).

The music is ok but repetitive, I shut it off, personal taste absolutely Smiley

I liked that I could kill the enemies from afar, without having much faith that I'd hit them, but ending up hitting anyway, that gave me as a player a "nice aiming skillz, I rule" feel, that's good Smiley

Good luck with finishing the game!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:57:30 AM by TurboLento » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 05:36:47 AM »

Thanks for your feedback.

Quote from: TurboLento
The rotation kind of messes with my eyesight, I kind of have to unfocus my sight and not look at any moving part. Not sure how to fix that, but just thought I might tell you this could be an issue with more people.

Not much I can do about this, sorry.

It's very unforgiving on placing spring and platform errors, if you make a mistake you have to restart the level. Maybe give the option to turn the platform or spring back into a bonus ball, or just absorb them when pressing their "place" button?

I could make this work.  Explaining it to the player might take a bit more effort.

I could never figure out where the platform was going to appear. Maybe pressing "Q" makes a a little preview box on where the platform will appear, and then mouse click places it. Could even allow the user to "aim" where the platform would be placed, within a radius around the character.

Don't like the idea of involving the mouse, too complex.  It should always appear facing the direction of your character.  I could add some additional text mentioning this.

I constantly forgot which key does what. Maybe keep a small drawing on the top corner on what key does what - as in "Q - flip, E - platform, F - spring"? Or reduce the number of keys used, by using an "inventory" key, that activates an inventory (Minecraft), or flips between the available actions, and another to "use" the action selected (Comix Zone).

I could show the keys on the interface.  I don't like the idea of a scrollable interface as there's only three items, so it seems a bit excessive. 
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »

Skulls are now colored based on object type: Death balls are purple, walls are orange.  Also, gold on other layers will now appear, giving you a hint where you should warp.

I've finished the hard levels and all is left to do is some testing and etc, then hopefully this project will be done.  Yay!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 08:06:53 AM »

Put together a gameplay footage vid.  You can see some of the new/later levels here.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 01:41:50 PM »

It's done, please buy it and support my broke ass >_>
Dragonmaw
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »

Stickied
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 04:21:25 AM »

Where do people buy it?

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 04:23:42 AM »

The buy page is here, and is also linked from the demo page.  I'm using BMTMicro for transactions.

http://rydia.net/udder/prog/sphereshift/
bentleyhg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 07:23:15 AM »

Congrats on getting this out there! Just played the demo, lots of fun stuff there. Good luck!

letsplayindie.com || bentleyhg.com
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 02:33:19 PM »

cool concept - if you ever had time to do an update the player could do with a better run animation i'd say (it just stands out as a bit weak against the nice art to me).

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 09:26:31 PM »

Wow, congrats - this looks pretty cool! Beer!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 06:56:53 PM »

Thanks, it only took about a month to build, but it was fun .. I should do more games like this, and less multi month long marathon projects from hell like Strat Tech .. lol :p
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic