Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1318764 Posts in 59242 Topics- by 50335 Members - Latest Member: DistantPixel

October 19, 2017, 10:42:21 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesDysaster [Finished]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Dysaster [Finished]  (Read 32871 times)
Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 01:36:19 pm »

Good luck to everyone getting their games finished. I'll be happy when the competition is over, because I'll be able to play them all Grin
Not going to be over for another week now  Sad 
Oh! That was unexpected. At least I can continue with adding little features and maybe I'll do chapter 2 as well.

Want this NOW!  Evil
Sorry MeatyBall!

Current devlog: Infinite Puzzles.
Competition entries: Wall of the Words, Dysaster.
the_redstar_swl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 03:28:22 pm »

So will the Chinese guys have the fabulous blue camouflage they always seem to be wearing?
Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 09:22:17 am »

There's Chinese guys in that photo?

Shocked

Oh! There they are! Wow, I could hardly see them with that camoflauge.

One member of Team Dragon wears blue Smiley

Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 03:07:39 pm »

Dysaster is finished! Kiss

Download link is in the first post. It's been a lot of fun making the game, so I hope you guys enjoy it as well.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 05:21:04 pm »

Made it up to chapter 2. Very nice job capturing the emergent gameplay. Haven't used the sniper much yet, but it's so much fun pushing exploding barrels next to buildings to catch enemies unaware, or using the blue gun to knock down walls. Losing your ammo between levels was odd at first, but then again it allows you to make each level standalone, and encourages use of different tactics. I tried Ramboing that Florida-shaped level in the first chapter, then a stealth approach, then just swimming across the lake and punching out the two guards clever enough to swim to me.  :D

muku
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 05:41:41 am »

Is it intentional that the intro text scrolls by so far that I can hardly read it?

The Cosyne Synthesis Engine - realtime music synthesis for games
Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 06:47:12 am »

Is it intentional that the intro text scrolls by so far that I can hardly read it?

Sorry if it's a bit fast. I've had people say it's too slow and other people say it's too fast!

If you open the settings.ini file in a text editor, there's a setting called cutscene_speed. You can change that to suit your reading speed. Everything should be fine then Smiley

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

15327506 painberry@hotmail.com PainBezzy
View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 07:59:08 am »

Dude, this is pretty cool!

I like how strength/pushing worked out.

I sorta wish that there was an auto-switch when you run out of ammo. Also if everyone's bullets were slower, combat might be less of a button mash. Shift should be renamed "ironsights" Smiley.

Sorry, I am super tired so my comments right now aren't the best or most useful. I liked it though.

Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 11:35:30 am »

Made it up to chapter 2. Very nice job capturing the emergent gameplay. Haven't used the sniper much yet, but it's so much fun pushing exploding barrels next to buildings to catch enemies unaware, or using the blue gun to knock down walls. Losing your ammo between levels was odd at first, but then again it allows you to make each level standalone, and encourages use of different tactics. I tried Ramboing that Florida-shaped level in the first chapter, then a stealth approach, then just swimming across the lake and punching out the two guards clever enough to swim to me.  :D
Thanks Noyb Grin It's great to hear that you're using different approaches. Losing ammo was a tough decision to make. I decided to reset it each time, for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

The Florida-shape was a complete accident!

Dude, this is pretty cool!

I like how strength/pushing worked out.

I sorta wish that there was an auto-switch when you run out of ammo. Also if everyone's bullets were slower, combat might be less of a button mash. Shift should be renamed "ironsights" Smiley.

Sorry, I am super tired so my comments right now aren't the best or most useful. I liked it though.
Cheers Bezzy Grin Auto-switching to usable weapons and making the bullets slower are great ideas. I'll give them a try and see how it plays. Off in the distant future I'm planning to add more features/maps/cutscenes, so suggestions like this are really useful to me.

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 06:37:54 pm »

damn you for your awesomeness, I wish the cutscenes could go a bit slower, it is unreadable (at least here in my computer)

Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 04:24:11 am »

damn you for your awesomeness, I wish the cutscenes could go a bit slower, it is unreadable (at least here in my computer)
Hey Slashie Beer!

Looks like a few people want the cutscenes to be slower, so I'll change that.

If you open the settings.ini file in a text editor, there's a setting called cutscene_speed. You can change that to any speed you like Grin

seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2008, 04:30:33 am »

Personally I thought the cut scenes were unbearably slow, luck the user can easily change it.
increpare
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2008, 05:50:46 am »

Personally I thought the cut scenes were unbearably slow,
I thought this as well!  It seems you have some timing issues?  (an option to skip past the text screen by screen by pressing space or something instead of only being able to skip through the whole thing by pressing esc would be nice)

I found the game enormously entertaining, fwiw, but I couldn't sit through the cut sequences when I was playing.  I'll have to try changing that setting now I guess Smiley
Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2008, 01:01:42 pm »

Personally I thought the cut scenes were unbearably slow,
I thought this as well!  It seems you have some timing issues?  (an option to skip past the text screen by screen by pressing space or something instead of only being able to skip through the whole thing by pressing esc would be nice)

Thank you for this suggestion - I tried that and it makes a massive difference. I wish I'd done that originally, because it's a lot easier to read the cutscenes and it would have speeded up making cutscenes considerably.

I've put together a test version with the introduction cutscenes converted to the new format. If anyone would be so kind as to try it out and let me know if it works better for them, that would be very useful to me. Thanks guys.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 10:01:42 am »

It gives me a
run-time error '13' Type mismatch
Cry

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 10:35:29 am »

I get that too   Sad
Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 12:30:31 pm »

Ahhh I recon this is due to regions having different meanings for symbols. I'll change some stuff around and get a new test version released. Sorry about this guys.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:30:21 pm by Robson » Logged

Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 01:29:59 pm »

The number handling has been changed, so that it works in any region. I've tested the whole game with Windows set to French and done a small amount of testing with other random regions. Everything is working fine now Grin

A new version is available in the first post which works in all regions, has easier to watch cutscenes, has instructions screens and weapon cycling just goes through usable weapons.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2008, 07:24:27 am »

Haha, this one's amusing. Grin

Gets pretty hard too, with how your suit can't take all that much damage at once even in Armor mode, but at least you regenerate.

Great job, the cutscenes made me chuckle.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2008, 03:54:47 pm »

Awesome , great job Beer!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: