Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:19:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Balancing pixel art and non-pixel art in a game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Balancing pixel art and non-pixel art in a game  (Read 3397 times)
i wanna be the guy
« on: January 22, 2012, 04:13:47 PM »

I DON'T FEEL LIKE TYPING OUT SOMETHING LONG ABOUT THIS SO I'LL JUST ASK A SIMPLE QUESTION

i'm going to be getting started on tiles, objects, backgrounds, and all that stuff for a game I'm working on within the next week or so here

the characters are all pixel art, and the backgrounds will most likely be done in sai or photoshop or something similar depending on which one of us decides to do it

but yeah my question
do you guys think it would look better if tiles and items were done as pixel art or as non-pixel art?
would having everything but the backgrounds done as pixel art make the game feel too much like Just Another Pixel Art Platformer and turn people away?
would having everything but the characters be non-pixel art make the characters stand out in too much of a bad way?
i'm kind of clueless about how to approach this so any answers would be nice
Kramlack
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 04:22:12 PM »

I absolutely hate the idea of mixing traditional and pixel art so I can't recommend doing it myself. As you mentioned it's one of the things that turns me away from games, and makes them feel cheapened, but I think the average joe gamer will appreciate it more. If it has to be done, I recommend the way

does it, with pixel characters on traditional backgrounds and traditional effects.
junkboy
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:26:04 PM »

Well it all depends on execution doesn't it? In theory I think it sounds like a nice idea to keep the player, enemies, pickups and other interactable objects as pixel art and the rest as CG painted stuff. From a productivity standpoint though I'd stick with whatever I can create the fastest..
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »

just make backgrounds that fit the style of the characters. sierra and lucas-arts used hand painted backgrounds with pixel art characters, and they always blended pretty well. as long as it looks good, I don't think anyone will complain.

Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:01:54 AM »

There is always a nice contrast on non-pixel backgrounds (painted digitally or traditionally) against pixeled characters, objects and tiles/foregrounds if done properly.   

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 06:14:53 AM »

even cave story mixed pixel art and particle effects, so i don't think it's heresy to do so

but i can't really answer the OP's question specifically because i'd have to see screenshots first. it's hard to say what would look nicer until you see it

here's an interesting example of mixed graphical styles that i like, though:

xenogears used pixel art for the sprites, and 3d for the backgrounds

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 06:39:34 AM »

I would say: please try to do it. Especially since you are good at pixels, Swarms Eleven

Even if it's unusual: if it's done well, it will look good, and maybe more people will experiment with it if someone effectively shows how it can be done.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 10:17:54 AM »

Personally as a pixel purist I dislike most things that have non-pixel art with pixels.
Mainly when it's used too much does it really bug me the most.
But if your looking for a good example - Kenneth Fedger uses a small amount of NPA in most his backgrounds.

Very minimal use of non-pixel art from what I can tell though usually works for the most part.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:24:12 AM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Theophilus
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 12:19:38 PM »

Here's another example, similar to the xenogears one. This one's breath of fire IV.

http://www.playstationordie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/fd6442cc00e11fc2f55457d9d476f4b1.jpg

(too big to post here, if i stretch it, it will be ugly)
Kramlack
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 12:20:38 PM »

Breath of Fire IV is too fucking beautiful.
Theophilus
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »

Breath of Fire IV is too fucking beautiful.

yeah, and i wish i would have found a clear screenshot
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »

Well it all depends on execution doesn't it? In theory I think it sounds like a nice idea to keep the player, enemies, pickups and other interactable objects as pixel art and the rest as CG painted stuff. From a productivity standpoint though I'd stick with whatever I can create the fastest..
this yep

i wanna be the guy
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 07:58:57 PM »

alright, thanks for the replies everyone! I'll probably be spending my free time this week messing around with some stuff, and I think I'll stick to keeping basically everything but backgrounds and particles as pixel art.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic