Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:19:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLooking for Pixel Artists!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for Pixel Artists!  (Read 1568 times)
Mrdavidification
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »

Hey there guys!

I'm currently in the process of developing an 8-bit retro 2d sidescroller within the unity game engine, and I need some experienced Pixel Artists to create some sleek looking backdrops and environments! As of right now, I need the following background environments to be put behind my game level

- A City type environment
- A forested area
- An underground type texture (as if tunneling through a cave)
- A mountainous type backdrop
- And a skyscraper/rooftop type backdrop

If anyone would like to help me out with this, please feel free to email me at [email protected] or add me on skype at HitorikiFTW

Here's an image of the first level (without a background environment) to give you some perspective

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 05:08:27 AM »

Now, don't take this the wrong way; I'll just try and explain why you're not getting any replies.

First of all, it doesn't seem like you know what you are talking about.
"8-bit" has become slang for "retro-looking", but what it actually means is processing restriction that forces developers to make do with chip sound, a pallette of maximum 16 colours and tiles no bigger than 16x16 pixels. Usually, anyway.

Though your engine might play great for all I know, there are some jarring things in your screenshot. Now, I'm not referring to your artwork in general (you are looking for an artist, anyway, right?), but the horrible composition of high and low resolution images.
If you want the game to have so-called "pixelart" graphics, you need a consistent frame of pixels, and a steady 1:1 pixel-size ON ALL TILES AND OBJECTS.
Had you been using high resolution images (not pixelart) this wouldn't be such a concern, as it would be hard to spot, but on lower resolutions it's all about imagining lines that aren't necessarily there (because everything is made up of distinct squares), and so consistency is of absolute importance.

I just slapped this together to show you an approximation of how extreme the differences in resolution in your image are:

Now, I might have sounded strict, but I really just want to help.
Remember to use consistent resolution and your games will look and feel much better! Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right
Mrdavidification
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:12:34 PM »

Thanks for sharing. So what you're saying is, every block size and texture size has to have the same resolution (Whether it be 32x32, 64x64 etc) including the character sprites? Thanks again
Hydroida
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »

No, you can have different sizes of blocks. What you want to avoid is displaying different art on the screen at different scales. For instance if you have a 64x64 block, thats fine so long as it would contain the same level of detail and occupy the same space as 4 32x32 blocks. In other words, when someone can see the individual pixels in the art, they need to be the same size. What you want to avoid is basically taking one 32x32 block, blowing it up to 64x64 and putting it next to a regular sized 32x32 block.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic