Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:59:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg Demakes[FINISHED] Shadow of the Bossus - full game and video available
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED] Shadow of the Bossus - full game and video available  (Read 55995 times)
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:27:25 PM »

Join the hero Stroll on his quest to bring down the huge bosse... Bossuse... Bossii! A whole new world awaits you in this platform action-adventure of epic proportions. Available for PC:s!

The following version of the game is complete, but may still contain some bugs.

I have made the game in my prototype engine so while it's not very demanding, it requires you to have an OpenGL 1.5 - enabled Graphics Device to run, and it doesn't handle failure to render very gracefully so if it doesn't work, the renderer is probably to blame. Anyway, ATI has done a lot of work on their GL drivers the last 8 months so if it fails on a Radeon card, try updating.

Version 1.0( http://ekermo.se/tmp/sotb/sotb_v1.zip )
alpha
demo 1.1
demo 1.0

Controls Cave Story:
Arrowkeys: Move, aim, crouch
Z: Jump
X: Attack
A, S: Change weapon
Esc: Return to menu

I had some more ideas for this, but I don't think I'll have the time to add anything more. Please tell me of any suggestions you might have or bugs you find and I'll try to patch it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:21:10 AM by Saint » Logged
Moon Goon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 04:59:33 PM »

I hope it's just gonna be in the style of GBA/SNES.  Memory is tight on those things (although I remember some huge bosses in Super Metroid.)

The name is pretty good.  Much better than:

"What the heck is the camera angle doing?!?  ZOMFG I just got crushed!?!"

..which is what I usually call that game.

I'm a PEEK'er. I'm a POKE'er. And I'm a midnight coder. I type my programs and hit RUN.

Check out itch.io for my Atari 2600 game ROMs! http://theloon.itch.io/
the2bears
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 05:35:16 PM »

Great, I was hoping someone would tackle this Smiley

Bill

the2bears  - the indie shmup blog
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:59:38 PM »

FINISH THIS OR I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND FORCE YOU TO FINISH IT AT PINECONE POINT.
THAT PINECONE IS AIMED AT YOUR ASS.
 Evil Evil Evil Evil

Good luck with that, though.

GreyGanado
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 01:15:51 AM »

Isn't Shadow of the Bossus the name of a level from Karoshi 2.0?
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 02:45:39 AM »

Isn't Shadow of the Bossus the name of a level from Karoshi 2.0?

Indeed it is =)

I couldn't think of a good name by using thesaurus so in order to get that extra indieness I just used a reference to a Karoshi 2.0 level.  Gentleman
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 02:42:46 PM »

OMG Screenshots!

I may have used up my free time this month doing this so chances are I'll finish the first encounter, clean it up a little and maybe add some shrine you start in and the call it a day. But hopefully that'll make at least someone happy Beer!
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 02:49:53 PM »

That looks so pretty.

Carnivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 03:02:09 PM »

Looking good.  The original game is something I respected rather than enjoyed (though I did enjoy buying it for £3 in mint condition even complete with the postcards at a car boot sale then making a profit selling it on ebay for much more four weeks later after I'd had my time of it).  This looks more appealing to me being 2D and pixelly Smiley  Looking forward to playing it.

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 04:03:17 PM »

Update!

First encounter is finished and I would post a demo, if I didn't fear that I might not have any more time to work on this. I'll submit the game now, at least.

I do hope to add some sort of shrine and level beside the fighting area, though. Also, I have plans for a couple of other encounters though since the first one took more than a full day's work to finish I'll be lucky if I have time for one of them.

But enough complaining. I don't really have any new, fancy screenshots so here is an
image of when I tried to find a physics bug a few days ago;
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:27:53 AM by Saint » Logged
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 08:12:19 AM »

Really liking the sprites and tilesets here! Is that Mode 7-style rotation I see in the second screenshot at the top, too?

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 08:54:24 AM »

Really liking the sprites and tilesets here! Is that Mode 7-style rotation I see in the second screenshot at the top, too?

Thanks! ... Though I'm a programmer and no artist, really, This will probably become painfully apparent in the lack of detail.

Yes, I have some rotational background emulation going on... Although I cheat a bit and don't preserve the shape of the pixels when rotating, this is why the arrows look straight even though they are very low-res and should be aliased.
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 11:42:31 AM »

Demo available. See first post.
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 01:40:28 PM »

Demo available. See first post.

I couldnt run it...throws some errors about not being able to install the aplication
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 02:00:15 PM »

Looking pretty good.  It took me a minute to figure out how to get up the colossus (and when I finally did, I realized my sword didn't work Tongue )

I do have a couple of crits about the jumping though.  Pogo jumping can be pretty damn annoying.  Is there a way you could make him jump only once for every press of the jump button?  Also, the player sprite seems to stick to the side of walls when I'm trying to jump up a ledge, and I can't make the jump unless I back up and clear the top completely.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 02:08:06 PM »

I couldnt run it...throws some errors about not being able to install the aplication

Interesting. I seem to get a similar problem on another machine, internet whispers of an SP2 problem. I'll look into it tomorrow and try to get a new build.

I do have a couple of crits about the jumping though.  Pogo jumping can be pretty damn annoying.  Is there a way you could make him jump only once for every press of the jump button?  Also, the player sprite seems to stick to the side of walls when I'm trying to jump up a ledge, and I can't make the jump unless I back up and clear the top completely.

Good point, I'll remove the pogo jumping. The wall-sticking is slightly trickier since everything that's moving in the game is controlled by a physics engine and I can't fiddle too much with the inner workings of it in order to get this one game working. I'll experiment some with friction and see what comes out of it.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 03:01:44 PM »

Another thing that's odd wrt jumping is that it seems you actually jump higher when you just tap the button as opposed to holding it longer.

Didn't make it to the first Bossus so far, found constantly dropping off the tree too annoying, but that's probably due to my suckage.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 03:45:32 PM »

Love the art and the general concept. Smiley

As for the gameplay, I don't have much to add. I beat the first bossus after waaaay too many tries, but I still never really felt like I got the hang of the system. Felt pretty slippery and like muku I had no idea how high the guy would jump most of the time, which was most apparent in the last two jumps before getting to the standalone tree screen and the jump to a higher platform in the cave.

Everything that's moving in the game is controlled by a physics engine and I can't fiddle too much with the inner workings of it in order to get this one game working.
An entire physics engine just for moving platforms and bouncing arrows? Seems like the kind of overkill I'm privy to. Beer!

@deadeye: You need to be kneeling to use the sword. I guess a throwback to only being able to use the sword on something you're climbing in the original.

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 04:00:54 PM »

Another thing that's odd wrt jumping is that it seems you actually jump higher when you just tap the button as opposed to holding it longer.

Didn't make it to the first Bossus so far, found constantly dropping off the tree too annoying, but that's probably due to my suckage.

Huh. I hadn't noticed that, but I'll check it out.

An entire physics engine just for moving platforms and bouncing arrows? Seems like the kind of overkill I'm privy to. Beer!

Yeah... One of the reasons I'm doing this is to try out my engine doing something real, and rigid body dynamics is all I've got right now. The engine is kind of high-end and not anywhere near done, so I haven't had time to tweak the platform movement - which, being based on floating-point numbers, is very ill suited for the precision you'd expect from a pixelated game to begin with. But hopefully I will have some time to do that before the deadline.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 09:54:41 PM »

Lookin cool!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic