Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:27:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg Demakes[FINISHED] Shadow of the Bossus - full game and video available
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED] Shadow of the Bossus - full game and video available  (Read 55895 times)
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 09:36:04 AM »

New demo! No new content, but some important tweaking:

http://ekermo.se/tmp/sotb/sotb_demo1_1.zip

Jumping has been given a complete overhaul and while movement is still not perfect, I have tried to do something about every issue you guys have mentioned, as well as making it possible to do lower jumps by tapping the key.

The "Invalid configuration ... Please reinstall" - bug should also be resolved in this build. Let me know if more problems arise.

I'd like to thank all of you for your feedback so far, it really made the problems easier to pinpoint. I'll try and get to work on the second encounter now but if you have more suggestions for improvements I'd be happy to hear them Beer!
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 10:58:42 AM »

Jumping is much better this time around. I find the sliding when you're standing on the edge of a branch slightly annoying; also, with the long branches it's difficult to tell where collision detection ends and you fall off. So, it's hard to time jumps correctly on those.

And I still couldn't find the Bossus Sad Climbed all the way up the big tree, but I couldn't see where I was supposed to go on.
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 11:03:31 AM »

Jumping is much better this time around. I find the sliding when you're standing on the edge of a branch slightly annoying; also, with the long branches it's difficult to tell where collision detection ends and you fall off. So, it's hard to time jumps correctly on those.

And I still couldn't find the Bossus Sad Climbed all the way up the big tree, but I couldn't see where I was supposed to go on.

Great, thanks. I had to remove friction in order to get the jumping to work well, but I guess I could do some hack and allow friction when on the ground only.

Hmm... Slight spoiler, I guess.

... The bossus is actually not in the tree (that is the hypothetical place for another encounter), but in the area to the right of the starting area. So just keep walking right, jump up the cliffs and off the screen to get to it.

And while we're on the topic of spoilers, there is actually a way to regain health mid-fight, though I won't get into details just yet.
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »

Freakin awesome !

Is it me ? Or there is some kind of visual bond with "Shadow of the Beast II" ?
Something in the tiles, the palette, the trees ? It reminds me that great game, not to mention the similarities of the names, btw SOTB and SOTC.

Anyway, it is a known fact that Fumito Ueda was an early Amiga owner.

Below, an old demake-mockup by Fumito Ueda itself. I'll let you guess what game it is about Smiley

'found it, there : http://tanzi.jp/bakar/

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 11:45:28 AM »

Hmm... Slight spoiler, I guess.

... The bossus is actually not in the tree (that is the hypothetical place for another encounter)

Oh, really? I thought I went as far right as I could. Must have missed something. I also found another area (left and down) that smelled suspiciously like boss fight, but there was nobody there. Wink
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 12:00:38 PM »

Freakin awesome !

Is it me ? Or there is some kind of visual bond with "Shadow of the Beast II" ?
Something in the tiles, the palette, the trees ? It reminds me that great game, not to mention the similarities of the names, btw SOTB and SOTC.

Thanks  Beer!

I didn't look at Shadow of the Beast, no. So far, when doing sprites, I have mostly studied ActRaiser, the Magical Quest series, Eternal Daughter and Aquaria (thanks Derek!) ... But who knows? it might be a case of delayed inspiration.

Below, an old demake-mockup by Fumito Ueda itself. I'll let you guess what game it is about Smiley

Now that is awesome. Cool by itself, especially cool considering the origin.

I also found another area (left and down) that smelled suspiciously like boss fight, but there was nobody there. Wink

In time, it will all be revealed...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:04:24 PM by Saint » Logged
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 12:05:04 PM »

That is awesome!
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 02:55:29 PM »

Good job on the new demo.  It's kinda strange... the jumping handles much better than the previous one, but I found climbing the bossus harder than before.  Maybe I just got lucky the first time.  Or maybe I didn't have my Wheaties today.  Anyway, I did finally kill it Smiley

But even though I had a tougher time climbing the bossus, getting up the tree was much easier with the new jumping.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 03:06:34 PM »

Good job on the new demo.  It's kinda strange... the jumping handles much better than the previous one, but I found climbing the bossus harder than before.  Maybe I just got lucky the first time.  Or maybe I didn't have my Wheaties today.  Anyway, I did finally kill it Smiley

Thanks, and congrats =)

I removed the friction so you will gradually slide off any tilted surface, that is why it's harder to climb the bossus now. I kinda like it this way since I thought it was a little too easy with full friction. What do you guys think? I am still planning to include friction for the branches, either way.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 03:15:02 PM »

Nice job! The gameplay feels a lot more fluid now.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 03:47:22 PM »

I removed the friction so you will gradually slide off any tilted surface, that is why it's harder to climb the bossus now. I kinda like it this way since I thought it was a little too easy with full friction. What do you guys think? I am still planning to include friction for the branches, either way.

I say keep the bossus friction like it is.  It made the fight last a while, and had that same sort of walking-a-tightrope feeling like the original.

Though maybe you could implement a "grab" control for when you're falling next to the hairy parts.  Not that you should be able to jump from a grab, that would be too easy to climb the bossus that way.  But something to save your ass when you've fallen the sixteenth time trying to make the same jump.  The grab could give the player a chance to wait for a platform to rotate into reachable distance underneath, so they could arc their fall onto it.  I understand if this is beyond the scope of your engine, but it's just a thought.

Edit:  Perhaps "unarmed" mode could grab hair when the attack button is pressed.  That would be the easiest control scheme I think, and would add another level of strategy as far as switching weapons was concerned.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 03:50:47 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 06:08:20 AM »

[Awesome]

That is intensely cool! I was disappointed no-one's attempted ICO, but that sort of makes up for it!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 03:18:52 PM »

Alpha version online! Another bossus stands to challenge Stroll!

http://ekermo.se/tmp/sotb/sotb_alpha.zip

This version is feature-complete in the sense that I won't be adding any more areas or encounters; although there's still that bit of the start and ending to take care of... And progression once you've beat one of the bossii. I'll likely make these updates in about a week when I've returned from my vacation.

To be completely honest I'm not as happy with the second encounter as I had hoped, but on the other hand I had much bigger and more detailed plans for it that the resolution couldn't contain. Still, given the timeframe I'm satisfied with how it turned out.

Though maybe you could implement a "grab" control for when you're falling next to the hairy parts ...

This was actually my original plan, almost exactly as you described it, but seeing as most of the challenge is in jumping between moving platforms I decided to skip it. If I should somehow get time left next weekend I might add to see how it works, though.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 08:58:04 AM »

the graphics and the whole atmosphere is ace, the arrows' physics is cool. I didn't do much damage on my first try, but now I'm going back.=)

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2008, 03:00:23 PM »

Is finished! Gentleman

http://ekermo.se/tmp/sotb/sotb_v1.zip

I have some more ideas (for another encounter, among other things), but this time I really don't have the time to add anything new. I can still fix little things, though, so please tell me if you find something weird in it Tired

the graphics and the whole atmosphere is ace, the arrows' physics is cool. I didn't do much damage on my first try, but now I'm going back.=)

Thanks =D
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2008, 10:14:10 PM »

Ugh, I can't kill the bossus in the cave for shit.  Your game is hard.

tweet tweet @j_younger
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »

how do I beat any of the bossus D:

I only managed to hit one vital of the cave boss Sad
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 10:55:17 PM »

can't play
vid plz.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2008, 10:56:31 PM »

how do I beat any of the bossus D:

I only managed to hit one vital of the cave boss Sad

You actually hit him?  Damn, you're doing better than me.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Renton
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2008, 01:51:24 AM »

Yay! Finished! I'm am saddened by the fact that there was no bossus on top of that tree.

Well made, my friend, well made. Gentleman
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic