Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:08:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Moving towards C++ development
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Moving towards C++ development  (Read 9975 times)
JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2012, 09:49:51 PM »

Yeah, I agree with that as well. And I'm pretty sure that Java-> C# is an easier transition than Java -> C++?
Yes. Java and C# use the same basic concepts and language constructs.
C# started out pretty much as a MS clone of Java with subtle differences, but now has moved on way beyond that. And at this point one might say that Java is subset of C#.
C# amongst other things has neat functional programming features while Java doesn't have them yet.

But if your ultimate goal is just to learn C++. Then doing straight transition from Java -> C++ might take less time than Java -> C# -> C++. Because C# has very little to do with C++ (except for syntactical similarities)

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2012, 01:10:26 AM »

Late to thread as always...

I started Windows C++ programming by just using the standard Windows libraries, lots of tutorials floating around for that. Displaying bitmaps, reading mouse input, basic place to start - and once you can display images and read input, you can make a gam.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
MadSage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »

Yeah, I agree with that as well. And I'm pretty sure that Java-> C# is an easier transition than Java -> C++?

C++ -> Java and C++ -> C# is easier  Grin. I started with BASIC on the ZX spectrum, back in '84, moved on to Z80 assembler a few years later, C several years later, C++ shortly after my first professional job, then in just the last few years I've picked up Objective C, C#, Java - they took very little time to learn.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2012, 01:31:58 PM »

^ Or you might simply be experienced and professional enough that picking up a new language isn't very difficult for you Gentleman

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »

I basically just want to say, every time I see a post by Zack Bell I briefly get confused and think of Zach Hill, the bizarrely fast-playing drummer from Hella

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2012, 10:08:36 PM »

To help the confusion, here's me playing single stokes a few years back hahaha...The shit we forget that we posted on youtube...

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2012, 10:32:02 PM »

...huh

(EDIT: I got it, I just thought it was funny the format of the specific videos was so similar)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:04:23 AM by mcc » Logged

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2012, 10:53:42 PM »

I was making further comparison. That was me playing drums...

Thread successfully derailed.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic