Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:44:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesClassic Novel Demake
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Classic Novel Demake  (Read 12651 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 07:41:45 AM »

Argh, I'd feel terrible about making a game about The Castle considering that Kafka told Brod to burn it on his death, and Brod was a jerk and went against Kafka's wishes. If anyone had any respect for Kafka, nobody should even read it, let alone make anything based on it. Brod is the greatest villain in literature.

camosid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 07:57:11 AM »

I would just say. Suda 51 did make one of the most symbol ridden games in the commercial racket. More art movie mixed with anime then good literature though.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 08:09:01 AM »

Argh, I'd feel terrible about making a game about The Castle considering that Kafka told Brod to burn it on his death, and Brod was a jerk and went against Kafka's wishes. If anyone had any respect for Kafka, nobody should even read it, let alone make anything based on it. Brod is the greatest villain in literature.

Nah, you got it all wrong. If his works hadn't been published, then today nobody would remember or respect him as one of the most influential writers of the 20th century. So saying "If anyone had any respect for Kafka, nobody should even read it" is completely backwards: if nobody had read it, then nobody would have respect for him in the first place.
The guy was basically depressed all his life, it's somehow understandable that he didn't want his work to get out into the world. But Brod saw his genius and immortalized him. It would have been a crime against literature to burn the manuscripts.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 08:48:58 AM »

There's a fair indication, according to Kafka scholars, that he gave his works to Brod specifically because he knew he couldn't go through with destroying them.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 08:50:44 AM »

I'm still undecided!

I mean, about my entry, which is what this thread is technically about. The Bible would be pretty funny, though.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 10:18:39 AM »

You know

Fuck, that's awesome.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 10:22:06 AM »

IF you're still having trouble deciding, http://www.somethingawful.com/d/photoshop-phriday/movie-based-games.php might help.  Beer!
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 10:38:48 AM »

I think I've pretty much settled on doing The Castle in the style of Castlevania.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 12:12:50 PM »

Tolstoy's War and Peace.
 Beer!

Dude, we only have a month.
To quote Woody Allen:

I've been speed-reading War and Peace. There's some Russians in it.

I think one of the funny things you can do with this compo is vastly, arrogantly, cheekily undermine the nuances of some highly praised source, but rendering it in as simple a way as possible.

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 12:23:42 PM »

I think I've pretty much settled on doing The Castle in the style of Castlevania.

oh man, oh maan...

seriously, sounds like incredibly awesomesaucer. Best of luck with this
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »

DO EET

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2008, 11:29:26 AM »

YES YES YES. So good.

Also, the point of these competitions is to make awesome, interesting, different games. Rules be damned; if the compo inspires you to make something, make it. If it's cool (ROM CHECK FAIL) no one will care how well it fits the criteria. 

Steve Swink
Game Designer, Enemy Airship
Content Director, IGF
sswink (at) enemyairship(dot) com
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic