Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:22:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralwhat have you been playing lately?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: what have you been playing lately?  (Read 19026 times)
portabello
Level 0

charlie don't surf!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 04:18:39 AM »

Contra Hard Corps.  A wonderful run-n-gun for the sega genesis.  It also has the second best soundtrack on the system.  The best being Toejam and Earl 2: Panic on Funkotron.

It's a fact.
Look it up in an almanac.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 04:44:56 AM »

Dawn of Sorrow is really good, and you can get it for around $20 now. Smiley
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 06:33:14 AM »

What the shit is that weapon?? I never saw anything like that when I played  Shocked

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 06:58:52 AM »

its one of the way-way-leveled up spears i think, the something or other trident maybe?  it's got amazing range but its kinda slow...

cup full of magic charisma
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 07:42:08 AM »

anyone picked up etrian odyssey?
ive been trying to track it down with no luck.
looks awesome.

CARTOGRAPHY!

CosMind
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 08:06:12 AM »

nearly finished with dq: rocket slime.  that sucker might just be the most under-hyped, unknown diamond in the rough out there.  sheesh, i wish more folks knew about it, and even more folks got a chance to rock the mess out of it.  pure joy.  full of super-engaging play dynamics, charm, polish, and subtle layers of depth throughout.

and, this:

...Not since I beat the slightly disappointing, overhyped, underwhelming Zelda:TTP. Not that it was bad by any stretch of the imagination. But it was average in all areas.

...is interesting.  curious - why did you play all the way through such a long game if it were so average and underwhelming?  i've yet to open my copy - so i was curious as to what compelled you to play through it when you felt as you did toward it.  was it simply a matter of the "legend of zelda obligation"?
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 08:17:42 AM »

i got DQ slime when it came out.
played a few hours, didnt get it.
at all.
i was pretty much bored all the way through.
it looks really good, and its all cute and all that but i just didnt get it.

also, Zelda:TP = boring OoT rehash.
and i say that as a hardcore zelda lover.
i wanna name my daughter zelda if i ever have one.
thats how much i love zelda.
but TP was soooo derivative, and the art sooo boring.
no charm at all.
also, looked like hell.
bring back the cell shade god dammit.
one step forward, 2 steps back.

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 08:33:13 AM »

Dawn of Sorrow is really good, and you can get it for around $20 now. Smiley

Indeed.  Both DS Castlevania games are great.  I know a lot of people are *gaga* over symphony of the night, but these DS ones are hands down better.  The "Sorrow" series (GBA, DS) I really enjoyed.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Shinji16
Level 0

That stupid Bemani kid...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2007, 08:45:24 AM »

I'm no so sure the DS ones are better "hands down", but they are pretty good.

Smile - life is good!
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007, 09:41:58 AM »

Dawn of Sorrow is second place to Symphony for me, but its a VERY close race.  DS has a MUCH better difficulty curve (actually being challenging in some spots) and some of the segmented bosses are really amazing to see in motion.  Plus the weapon/soul upgrade system is a real treat I thought, and the exploration isn't half-bad either.  However, Symphony's huge, lush graphics, beautiful soundtrack, tens if not hundreds of secrets, and gorgeously repainted version of the castle entryway all push it just slightly higher for me.  It's that mix of really stellar design but meaningless dead-ends and details that tell me the game was made with LOVE.  Sure its too easy and has some balance issues here and there (poison mist, anyone?) but to me its a gorgeous masterpiece, and its flaws only make it that much more endearing.  And the first time the upside-down castle is revealed?  I don't remember ever being so happy in my whole life...well except for that whole wedding thing...

EDIT - just got the very last copy of Etrian Odyssey from the local EB/GameStop/whatever.  They only got 3 copies in their shipment!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 01:10:26 PM by AdamAtomic » Logged

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2007, 01:24:50 PM »

I've been really impulsive lately - today I splashed out and bought myself a second half PS2 and a copy of Final Fantasy XII.

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

It sucks! What the hell happened to Final Fantasy?  Sad

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2007, 01:43:54 PM »

You don't like it?  I thought it was really refreshing after the like 4 or 5 game "let's just make FFVII again, only even MORE linear" streak they were on...I will say that some of XII's boss battles are insanely hard though!  It can be frustrating sometimes.  It is VERY worth studying how the weapon classes work (e.g. maces do extra damage when wielded by magic users, etc) because that can completely change the course of a fight.  Also, throughout almost the entire game, even single levels of experience can have a huge influence on the course of a fight.  Putting in a group of level 18s, instead of your level 17s, can mean the difference between crushing defeat and easy victory.  The writing through the first 3/4 of the game is totally awesome too I think, but then I was a total geek for Tactics and Vagrant Story...

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2007, 02:24:49 PM »

Odd.  I thought FF12 was great.  I also liked FF11, somewhat.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2007, 02:47:21 PM »

Dawn of Sorrow is second place to Symphony for me, but its a VERY close race.

I hear ya!  I love the soul system, but nothing tops Symphony for sheer grandeur.  Also, Inverted Castle!

What the shit is that weapon?? I never saw anything like that when I played  Shocked

Gungnir, the best polearm in the game!  Requires a bunch of souls to upgrade.  It's awesome. Grin
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2007, 03:07:31 PM »

Odd.  I thought FF12 was great.  I also liked FF11, somewhat.

To be fair, I'm basing my tears on my first impressions. I'm a huge fan of the series, so no doubt I'll come round quickly enough.

I miss Final Fantasy VII  Cry

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2007, 03:41:23 PM »

and, this:

...Not since I beat the slightly disappointing, overhyped, underwhelming Zelda:TTP. Not that it was bad by any stretch of the imagination. But it was average in all areas.

...is interesting.  curious - why did you play all the way through such a long game if it were so average and underwhelming?  i've yet to open my copy - so i was curious as to what compelled you to play through it when you felt as you did toward it.  was it simply a matter of the "legend of zelda obligation"?
It was such a flat experience. And honestly, it wasn't as long as I'd expected it to be. I beat it 100% at around 45-49 hours, not the promised 70+. The characters were pretty underdeveloped, especially when compared to Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. Another comparison to those two games where TTP fell short: the game lacked stuff. Not enough sidequests, the minigames were pretty boring, and the final dungeon+boss was too easy. The whole game in general was too easy. There were only a few challenges in the whole thing, and they weren't very rewarding. That's another thing: none of the few sidequests were very rewarding. That's another thing: most of the dungeons gave very specific items that you probably don't ever use outside of the dungeons you got them in. That's another thing: there were parts in the trailer that I was looking forward to that weren't in the game. (I know it's like that with alot of games, but when I beat the thing and realized it was over I was like "that was it?") That's another thing: ... Nah, just kidding. That just about covers everything. The story was cool. Unlike fish, I didn't think the graphic style was too bad...Infakt, I sorta liked the way they blended WW and OOT styles. But again, it was only average. I've got nothing against average games, but when ever review gives it 9s and 10s, I expect a 9 or 10 game, not a 7.
[/IMHO]

CosMind
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2007, 05:29:25 PM »

It was such a flat experience. And honestly, it wasn't as long as I'd expected it to be. I beat it 100% at around 45-49 hours, not the promised 70+. The characters were pretty underdeveloped, especially when compared to Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. Another comparison to those two games where TTP fell short: the game lacked stuff. Not enough sidequests, the minigames were pretty boring, and the final dungeon+boss was too easy. The whole game in general was too easy. There were only a few challenges in the whole thing, and they weren't very rewarding. That's another thing: none of the few sidequests were very rewarding. That's another thing: most of the dungeons gave very specific items that you probably don't ever use outside of the dungeons you got them in. That's another thing: there were parts in the trailer that I was looking forward to that weren't in the game. (I know it's like that with alot of games, but when I beat the thing and realized it was over I was like "that was it?") That's another thing: ... Nah, just kidding. That just about covers everything. The story was cool. Unlike fish, I didn't think the graphic style was too bad...Infakt, I sorta liked the way they blended WW and OOT styles. But again, it was only average. I've got nothing against average games, but when ever review gives it 9s and 10s, I expect a 9 or 10 game, not a 7.
[/IMHO]

wow...  that just decreased the little motivation i had to play it in the future tenfold.

an honest thanks for the detailed perspective.

it will for surely help in the future when i finally get time to play sizable games again, and i have to decide among the 20 or so still-shrink-wrapped goodies that i have.
RichCI
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2007, 06:58:15 PM »

I've been playing Super Paper Mario (which is absolutely fantastic) and a bit of Desktop Tower Defense (very addictive) here and there, lately.

I can't recommend checking out either if you intend on being productive. Wink

Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2007, 09:25:16 PM »

I'm playing nothing but Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin at the moment.
Quite good. I don't know how I would compare it to Dawn of Sorrow, but another Castlevania is always nice.

Xion seems to feel exactly the same way I do about Twilight Princess.
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2007, 09:57:29 PM »

I've been playin all those great exploration games I have played through a million times. Such titles as cave story, lyle in cube sector, metroid and super metroid and of course, castlevanias
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic