Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 09:33:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKyoto
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Kyoto  (Read 34037 times)
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 08:05:45 AM »

I love this stuff. Thanks for posting the shaders, too. I'm trying to learn hlsl and it's good to see the sources of cool shaders

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 08:16:25 AM »

This looks amazing! i love the style, name, ambience, colour, music and everything else. I cannot wait to see more!

-Rob-D.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 05:06:35 PM »

Oh wow, looking forward to seeing more of this. You say it's using OpenGL? Do you have any book/resource recommendations for OpenGL beginners? I've been meaning to get my feet more wet with it.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 05:20:14 PM »

Oh wow, looking forward to seeing more of this. You say it's using OpenGL? Do you have any book/resource recommendations for OpenGL beginners? I've been meaning to get my feet more wet with it.

Thanks! A recommended place for beginners to get their feet off the ground would be Nehe's Tutorials. There is also the famous (and thick) OpenGL Red Book. The best way to learn is to jump in and try different things!

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 04:46:38 AM »

Since the tree is the focus of the scene, its movement must react in a believable manner. That means, conditions such as wind will cause its branches to sway realistically. This is the first prototype of the physics implementation, which uses verlet physics integration. Also added a vignette to give the scene more of a visual impact.

[

]

mbalestrini
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 04:52:19 AM »

Wow! It looks really nice!
I like the mood that the scene creates

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 05:23:58 AM »

Loving the physics movement in the new video  Kiss This is coming along great.

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 06:25:26 AM »

I finally got around to adding some thickness to the tree. No more skinny ass lines.

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 06:31:24 AM »

The island grass color was bugging me a bit, so I changed it to black to be inline with the the silhouette aesthetic.

What do you guys think?

ntdb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 06:40:11 AM »

The island grass color was bugging me a bit, so I changed it to black to be inline with the the silhouette aesthetic.

What do you guys think?

Combined with the newly silhouetted branches it looks much more natural. Beautiful, mysterious, and inviting. Smiley

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 07:21:01 AM »

Much appreciated!  Hand Metal Left Panda Hand Metal Right

Also, what software/language/framework are you using to make this?

Coded in C++ using OpenGL. Made with my own engine which has bindings to GameMonkey.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 07:41:19 AM »

Yeah definitely prefer the new grass, really brings the scene together better.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 12:33:42 PM »

Just FYI: a rule of thumb for branch thickness is that the sum of each branch stage should be roughly equal to the trunk. This is seen in nature because the tree has to keep internal water at the same pressure throughout, otherwise the trunk or branches would burst.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 03:58:24 PM »

Just FYI: a rule of thumb for branch thickness is that the sum of each branch stage should be roughly equal to the trunk. This is seen in nature because the tree has to keep internal water at the same pressure throughout, otherwise the trunk or branches would burst.

Do you mean the sum of the surface area of the connecting branches? Maybe I am just being a silly buns, but if it were the case, I would think that the surface areas would be unequal. Even in 2D, it doesn't seem the case. For example:

In a triangle, the length of any two sides is always greater than any other side. Thus, there is no way accumulation of the branches would equal the root. Is there something I am missing?

Moczan
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »

Usually the branches don't end split into 2 different branches. Branches usually branch from the main branch/tree, they are not created from splitting existing main branch. That's why the trunk is wide, but the branches are getting thinner much quickly.
Something like that, that's why they can keep the ratio mentioned by rek.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:17:35 PM by Moczan » Logged
ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 05:10:39 PM »

What do you guys think?

Absolutely lovely. Can't stop watching the video.

P.S. The reflections look much better in real time than in picture, so for misunderstanding.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »

Sound designer Jack Menhorn has created the first prototype track for Kyoto! The track will serve as the looping backbone of the visualization, in which most of the tonal ranges that you hear will derive from the interactive elements in the scene.

We are going for a very heavy, sentimental and mysterious mood. That means slow tempo and weird chords. Please let us know what you think!

[ listen Here ]

EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »

I imagine you're still working on it, but the tree is really springy and loose at the moment, with some of the branches bending rather violently in your physics test.  Perhaps adding some constraints to the joints to limit their rotation would prevent the tree from bending in really strange ways?

Or, it might be good to increase the restorative force on those joints.

It's gorgeous looking, though.  Really love that aurora effect and the water.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 06:17:29 AM »

Today is only a small visual update, but alot of changes have been implemented in order to improve the physics of the simulation. This is all in my attempt to make the app feel real and to immerse the player in its imagery. The elements in the scene should react in a believable manner that feels and sounds legit.

To do this, I allowed the user to interact with the elements on the screen. You can use your mouse to rustle thru the vegetation, which creates rustling noise. To create this interaction, I detected the collision between the mouse cursor and the physical bodies. I applied force at that location which is proportional to the speed of the mouse cursor. That is, the faster you rustle through the tree leaves, the more force is applied and the louder the rustling sounds.

More to come..

[

]

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 08:14:52 AM »

Gorgeous.  I really can't find any other words to describe it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic