Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:00:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesNo More Pixels
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: No More Pixels  (Read 5145 times)
UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2008, 07:37:55 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and pull up my thread now. It's going to be an 8 bit NES styled 2D platformer demake of No More Heroes. I'll try to include a simplistic overhead map where you drive from location to location and a few goofy minigames, as of yet I have no idea how many opponents there will be.

Currently I've got a title screen sprite done, I'll be throwing together character sprites tomorrow.

Anyhow, here's the title character who'll be using a flyswatter as his main weapon. The sprite's massive cause it'll probably go on the title screen.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 01:47:46 AM »

That doesn't look like Travis Touchdown at all, not even  the glasses and the trademark Johnny Knoxville haircut. Not even the red coat. Come on, this has a lot a potential, you have to pick at least something in common.
Tet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 05:35:19 AM »

Why should he have to make it look like Travis Touchdown? The goal is to be inspired by an existing game, not rip it off completely. Especially when it comes to character design.
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 05:38:34 AM »

Yeah, but at least have some resemblance.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 05:42:47 AM »

Why should he have to make it look like Travis Touchdown? The goal is to be inspired by an existing game, not rip it off completely. Especially when it comes to character design.
I'm not saying completely making him like Travis, but at least something. Most games are about a guy beating bad guys, if this won't take subtle references from NMH I'm afraid the joke will be missed.

Either way, let's see how it goes. I'm probably overreacting.
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 09:40:08 AM »

I'm sure the ripoff part with be massive amounts of blood with people exploding into it, right? If that isn't in the game, I will boycott it.

UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 01:53:59 PM »

Yeah, there will be massive blood *as much as I can get without having serious framerate problems hopefully*

I also chose a more average character, Travis was an otaku and was just a wild character in general. I figured I'd rip him off by presenting a more tame, yet still insane casual type of character, he has his weirdness though. If you look closely his belt buckle resembles a controller of some sort.
UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 10:46:43 PM »

Okay, so I'm starting to realize a one man team for this is silly and was wondering if anyone here has good experience with programming a beat em up engine? I have a twist I want to add to it, and could hopefully capture what I want to happen with someone else's help.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic