Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:01:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA Night In-Between [Stealth Action-Adventure game]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: A Night In-Between [Stealth Action-Adventure game]  (Read 19528 times)
beto
Level 0

Game Designer @ Aduge Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »

I've been off for a while because we were focused on releasing a new build with lots of changes (and I had to take care of the new trailer and the live action-funny-video-mega64-like and they're getting awesome!)...

Here is the link (PC version):
www.qasir.adugestudio.com/builds/beta/QasirBeta120214.rar

Some important things that changed since the last version:
- The guard's behavior was improved, now they will start touching you and trying to attack you after they listen you running for a while.
- Lots of bug fixes
- New props and content were added
- New menu screens
- New pause menu *splash* with more maps!!! *splash* =D
- The first dial puzzle is now fully functional (I hope heh)

Seems like a few things but they were tough work haha

I really really thank you all for all the help you've been providing! o/

Aduge's first fully fledged game, A Night In-Between, has been released and needs your vote on Greenlight to get on Steam.
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 08:43:37 PM »

I've been off for a while because we were focused on releasing a new build with lots of changes (and I had to take care of the new trailer and the live action-funny-video-mega64-like and they're getting awesome!)...

Here is the link (PC version):
www.qasir.adugestudio.com/builds/beta/QasirBeta120214.rar

Some important things that changed since the last version:
- The guard's behavior was improved, now they will start touching you and trying to attack you after they listen you running for a while.
- Lots of bug fixes
- New props and content were added
- New menu screens
- New pause menu *splash* with more maps!!! *splash* =D
- The first dial puzzle is now fully functional (I hope heh)

Seems like a few things but they were tough work haha

I really really thank you all for all the help you've been providing! o/

Menu is vastly improved, many puzzles now work correctly
New animation on white guards is really cool, too bad they are half broken on spawn still
The props added add a lot of style to the game, makes rooms feel less samey.

Many many bugs I have reported on are fixed, still found the sound glitch with he water =]though.

Keeps getting better and better, keep polishing it up!

beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 06:51:05 AM »

Menu is vastly improved, many puzzles now work correctly
New animation on white guards is really cool, too bad they are half broken on spawn still
The props added add a lot of style to the game, makes rooms feel less samey.

Many many bugs I have reported on are fixed, still found the sound glitch with he water =]though.

Keeps getting better and better, keep polishing it up!

You mean the smoke explosion? They won't be like that, they're just placeholders (pallet swap of the guards from the former art direction). That's why they don't have walk/run animations.
They're part of a door. We might bring them to be something like a guard as they are now mixed with Mokujin. =)

We'll keep adding new props. Now we have almost all the assets of the alchemic puzzle and it's quite done with programming. As soon as it's set up I'll prepare a separate build with the puzzles (including the dials, since only the first one is done).

I thought the sound issue with the water was fixed but seems like it wasn't... We'll keep on looking for ways to fix it.

Thank you! =)

Aduge's first fully fledged game, A Night In-Between, has been released and needs your vote on Greenlight to get on Steam.
dishmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 05:47:00 AM »

I've been playing the "120214" version.

Overall I'm really, really impressed by the game.  The art, sound, writing, character, story and gameplay all come together to make one of the most intriguing game-worlds I've visited in some time.  Reaching the garden and entering the blue rooms for the first time are both "wow" moments when I realised that the game is much bigger than I'd expected.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the story ends.  Unfortunately I've hit a show-stopping bug that means the game freezes whenever I try to solve one of the "dial rotation" puzzles.  (I can send you the MySavedGame file if that's any help in debugging.)  I'll play the game again from the start, but it probably makes sense for me to wait until there's a new version to test.

Some general comments:

- At the risk of sounding xenophobic, I don't think "Qasir al-Wasat" is a good title for a game.  I don't know what it means, I don't know how to pronounce it, if someone asks me if I've played any good games recently I can't give a sensible answer, and most importantly it doesn't give me any sense of what the gameplay is going to be like.  On the other hand I do like "A Night in-Between" as a title.  It immediately makes me think "atmospheric indie adventure game".  I'm not suggesting changing the game's title, but it may be worth making the English part more prominent in any marketing material.

- I think I spotted a few typos in the game's text.  Nothing major, just things like "its" instead of "it's" during the intro text, but I'm afraid I wasn't taking notes.  (If there's a file with all the game text in, I can give it a proper look through if you're short of proof-readers.)

- I was going to say that the game really needs a map, but reading this thread I discovered it already has one!  Even knowing that I had a lot of difficulty finding it (the "Esc" key does nothing for me, I have to use "Enter" instead, and even then I almost missed the map screen).  At some point in the game, you really need to make the existence of the map clear to the player.

- Cleaning powder/blood off your character is surprisingly difficult.  If I hadn't read that you can wash it off I probably wouldn't have guessed.  You have to walk through the water for a very long time to get clean -- I would've expected it to be almost instantaneous.  It might also be worth letting the character get clean slowly just by walking around.  If you get enough blood on your character it becomes very difficult to get through some rooms, which isn't much fun if there isn't a water pool nearby.

- I found the text boxes (speech bubbles) seemed to stay on the screen too long.  They could probably disappear after a second if you start walking.  A few times I found myself running away from guards with the text "A censer. It smells good" still on the screen.

- The examine hints ("..."/"?") seemed quite slow to appear and disappear.  Sometimes I didn't know which object they referred to.  Also, it might be better if you could only examine objects that are important to the game or the story.  Being able to examine objects that are just scenery (censers, plants, pots) is distracting, especially when they just repeat the same text over and over.

- It's not something I'm suggesting you should change at this stage, but having one button for "activate" and another button for "investigate" seems like one button too many.  It took me a while to learn which button to press to open doors!

- As I've said, I eventually got stuck because of a bug.  After killing the first target, the game overall started to get very glitchy.  I wasn't sure whether I was solving puzzles accidentally, discovering bugs, or simply playing part of the game that's not finished yet.  I don't envy the amount of QA work you've got ahead of you...

We were talking before about puzzle design, so in case it's any help I'll try to throw out a few random thoughts about puzzles that might work in the game.  (As I've said, I haven't played the whole game yet, so I might be making suggestions here for things you've already used.)

The way I see it, there are several different types of puzzles that could fit into the game:

- Logic puzzles.  These are things that work as puzzles even when taken out of the context of the game, and they could even be traditional puzzles that are transplanted into the game.  For example, the "dial rotation" puzzle, the block-pushing (Sokoban) puzzles in Zelda games, or something like completing a jigsaw or a Rubik's cube or moving Tetris-style pieces into place or following a convoluted maze.  The "dial rotation" puzzle takes the player out of the game to some degree, but puzzles like block-pushing in Zelda are built around the central game mechanics.

- Pattern puzzles.  In these cases the player realises that something is un-symmetric or out-of-place, or that the appearance of the room is a clue to a puzzle that needs solving.  For example, four torches in a room but only one of them is lit (so blow it out or light the other three); boxes that are almost arranged in a pattern (the last one needs pushing into place); coloured pictures on one wall and coloured switches on another (the switches need to match the colours of the pictures); a room that's almost perfectly symmetric except for a gap along one wall (a hidden door); a trail of footprints on the floor (follow them to avoid setting off a trap); numbers "3", "1" and "2" written next to three switches (hit the switches in that order).

- Clues and riddles.  These are puzzles you're unlikely to solve by accident, but someone's helpfully written down a clue nearby.  For example, a note that reads "Run around the tree clockwise five times" (the only other things in the room are a tree and a locked door), or a sign "The emerald fire leads the way" (a flame keeps changing colour; the switch to open the door only works when the flame is green).  Pictures can be clues instead of text (as can sounds).

Of course you don't want to start adding new items or mechanisms to the game at this stage, so I think the trick is to repurpose existing game mechanics to make new puzzles.  Some of the things currently in the game that could be used to make puzzles:

- Standing still.  For example, you might have to stand motionless at a certain spot for five seconds to solve a puzzle; or you have to stand on the coloured tiles in the order shown by a coloured flame.

- Walking.  For example, follow a special path marked on the floor; or maybe the floor tiles change colours as you walk on them and you need to colour them so they make a certain pattern.

- Sounds.  For example, a hidden item that you can hear but not see; or a different sound to your footsteps that tells you you are walking along a secret path.

- Censers.  Different colours of smoke could provide clues to puzzles.  Maybe you could hit the censers to change their colours, or to turn them on or off.  Maybe the smoke from special censers could have an effect on the guards.

- Pressure pads (tiles that act as switches when you stand on them).  Maybe you need to activate two pressure pads simultaneously: you can stand on one, but you need to put an item on the other.  Or maybe you need a guard to stand on one.

- Keys.  The keys you pick up could be used for purposes other than unlocking doors.  Maybe a puzzle requires a key to be placed at a certain point on the floor, or you could use a key to hold down a pressure pad (as above).  (I'm assuming that keys are the only items you're able to carry around.)

- Guards/other characters.  A puzzle may require you to lead guards to certain places in the room (for example to stand on pressure pads, as above).  Or perhaps you could be required to kill a guard so that his blood covers a certain tile on the floor (or so that his blood colours the water in a pool red).

- Darts (that are shot out of holes in the wall).  Maybe these could hit things other than you, such as guards or distant switches.

- Powder sprays.  What effect do these have on the guards?  Can they come in different colours?  Maybe for one puzzle you need to be completely covered in powder (or blood).

- Stealth mode.  Am I right that at one point a secret path through some pressure pads only becomes visible when you're walking stealthily?  Maybe other things (clues? a key?) should only become visible when in stealth mode.

That's probably enough typing for one day.  (I can't believe how long this post is...)

TL;DR  I really like the game, and I'm looking forward to playing it again when it's closer to complete.

Cheers,
Simon
beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 09:26:42 AM »

It's ok to write as much as you want!
I read and consider everything people say.
All the testing and opinions about the game are very important to me!
And I thank you, and all the other buddies that helped! =)

Overall I'm really, really impressed by the game.  The art, sound, writing, character, story and gameplay all come together to make one of the most intriguing game-worlds I've visited in some time.  Reaching the garden and entering the blue rooms for the first time are both "wow" moments when I realised that the game is much bigger than I'd expected.
Wow! Thanks! It's very rewarding to hear it!
And I'm glad you got this feel, since this opening feel is what we wanted to convey with the hubs (we consider the central garden as a hub and the blue place has one too).

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the story ends.  Unfortunately I've hit a show-stopping bug that means the game freezes whenever I try to solve one of the "dial rotation" puzzles.  (I can send you the MySavedGame file if that's any help in debugging.)  I'll play the game again from the start, but it probably makes sense for me to wait until there's a new version to test.
Sorry about that... We have just designed and worked over the first dial puzzle.
The only reason I haven't posted a new build is that in order to complete the alchemic puzzle (another mini-game beside the dial rotation one) we end up with things messed on the way, so I can't make an stable build (and when we have all the puzzles built I'll make a separate build to test them apart from the rest of the game).

- At the risk of sounding xenophobic, I don't think "Qasir al-Wasat" is a good title for a game.  I don't know what it means, I don't know how to pronounce it, if someone asks me if I've played any good games recently I can't give a sensible answer, and most importantly it doesn't give me any sense of what the gameplay is going to be like.  On the other hand I do like "A Night in-Between" as a title.  It immediately makes me think "atmospheric indie adventure game".  I'm not suggesting changing the game's title, but it may be worth making the English part more prominent in any marketing material.
It's ok. We're aware of that.
And this is the reason we came up with "A Night in-Between" (also because it carries poetically some concepts of the game).
From now on we'll try to emphasize more on this title over "Qasir al-Wasat" and hope for the best.

- I think I spotted a few typos in the game's text.  Nothing major, just things like "its" instead of "it's" during the intro text, but I'm afraid I wasn't taking notes.  (If there's a file with all the game text in, I can give it a proper look through if you're short of proof-readers.)
I told our content designer about this issue.
Also I talked to her about your offer and she said she could send you the source txts on approximately two weeks (that's how long she said it would take to have the most of all texts written).

- I was going to say that the game really needs a map, but reading this thread I discovered it already has one!  Even knowing that I had a lot of difficulty finding it (the "Esc" key does nothing for me, I have to use "Enter" instead, and even then I almost missed the map screen).  At some point in the game, you really need to make the existence of the map clear to the player.
This was one of the interface problems we faced. Now we considered the "Esc" function only to cancel things (everything can be remapped by the user on the Unity launcher) and the pause is accessed by "Enter". Maybe we could add some text with the main character saying something about his mindmap (the concept behind all the in-game menus is that it's all a mindmap of the relevant things the character pays attention to). Also you'll be able to summon the map by pressing "M" and this will be a toggle funcion and you'll be able to walk with the map on.

- Cleaning powder/blood off your character is surprisingly difficult.  If I hadn't read that you can wash it off I probably wouldn't have guessed.  You have to walk through the water for a very long time to get clean -- I would've expected it to be almost instantaneous.  It might also be worth letting the character get clean slowly just by walking around.  If you get enough blood on your character it becomes very difficult to get through some rooms, which isn't much fun if there isn't a water pool nearby.
We had it very quick before, then I doubled the time it takes to clean one level.
I think I'll try to discover a midpoint where you don't get cleaned too fast nor too slow, so that it feels balanced (because water is noisy, so it has the drawback of attracting guards) and intuitive. Adding a real slow cleaning by walking on the water is also a possibility...

- I found the text boxes (speech bubbles) seemed to stay on the screen too long.  They could probably disappear after a second if you start walking.  A few times I found myself running away from guards with the text "A censer. It smells good" still on the screen.
You mean the main character's speech bubbles? If it's his, all of the main character's text has to be advanced by pressing space, and this is also the way of closing them. This way the player has control over the text of his avatar (this is also why you don't have control over the npc's text, except for the cutscenes).

- The examine hints ("..."/"?") seemed quite slow to appear and disappear.  Sometimes I didn't know which object they referred to.  Also, it might be better if you could only examine objects that are important to the game or the story.  Being able to examine objects that are just scenery (censers, plants, pots) is distracting, especially when they just repeat the same text over and over.
That's a good point, we have to work on the fade times...
Considering things that have some variation (maybe there could be more) like the white vases, do you still think it's bad?

- It's not something I'm suggesting you should change at this stage, but having one button for "activate" and another button for "investigate" seems like one button too many.  It took me a while to learn which button to press to open doors!
Perhaps changing the name of the "investigate" (Space) could help identifying its usage and making it more distinct from the "activate" (A) mechanic?
Also we'd like to have a screen in-game that shows the controls (we had it beforte, but since we've got the whole controls remappable we had to remove this screen since we still don't have the code to recognize the changes and display them).

- As I've said, I eventually got stuck because of a bug.  After killing the first target, the game overall started to get very glitchy.  I wasn't sure whether I was solving puzzles accidentally, discovering bugs, or simply playing part of the game that's not finished yet.  I don't envy the amount of QA work you've got ahead of you...
The game after the first target is still into pieces and I'm afraid of it, considering that it would have to be tested thoroughly and the release deadline is getting closer...

- Logic puzzles.  These are things that work as puzzles even when taken out of the context of the game, and they could even be traditional puzzles that are transplanted into the game.  For example, the "dial rotation" puzzle, the block-pushing (Sokoban) puzzles in Zelda games, or something like completing a jigsaw or a Rubik's cube or moving Tetris-style pieces into place or following a convoluted maze.  The "dial rotation" puzzle takes the player out of the game to some degree, but puzzles like block-pushing in Zelda are built around the central game mechanics.
We wanted add puzzles more connected to the central mechanics, and looong ago on the original design, we had a push/pull mechanic but we discarded it to simplify programming (we only have one programmer [and five designers]). But later we found some problems on gameplay related to the part more connected to investigation and stuff like this. So we came up with the idea of making puzzles that would help enhancing the investigation aspect of the game, and we thought about the dial rotating and the alchemic puzzle. Unfortunately they work on a mini-game basis and it would be nice to have something more connected to gameplay (even though I believe we can, and are working to achieve it, connect to it by other means like investigating stuff and having to bring items to assemble the puzzles). But... this is something to learn, since it's our very first game to achieve this point of development (also the first that's going to be commercialized), so we won't be able to avoid so many mistakes.

- Pattern puzzles.  In these cases the player realises that something is un-symmetric or out-of-place, or that the appearance of the room is a clue to a puzzle that needs solving.  For example, four torches in a room but only one of them is lit (so blow it out or light the other three); boxes that are almost arranged in a pattern (the last one needs pushing into place); coloured pictures on one wall and coloured switches on another (the switches need to match the colours of the pictures); a room that's almost perfectly symmetric except for a gap along one wall (a hidden door); a trail of footprints on the floor (follow them to avoid setting off a trap); numbers "3", "1" and "2" written next to three switches (hit the switches in that order).
Good! This gave me the idea of implementing a matching color puzzle on a Warp Zone (WA_3), or maybe in one of the blue rooms. Also, last week, our programmer came up with the idea of a "password switch puzzle" like the 3,1,2 you said. We could also work with that.

- Clues and riddles.  These are puzzles you're unlikely to solve by accident, but someone's helpfully written down a clue nearby.  For example, a note that reads "Run around the tree clockwise five times" (the only other things in the room are a tree and a locked door), or a sign "The emerald fire leads the way" (a flame keeps changing colour; the switch to open the door only works when the flame is green).  Pictures can be clues instead of text (as can sounds).
We'll have a riddle for each puzzle that opens a passage to the blue rooms.

- Standing still.  For example, you might have to stand motionless at a certain spot for five seconds to solve a puzzle; or you have to stand on the coloured tiles in the order shown by a coloured flame.
Actually there is a puzzle that's kinda of a standing still puzzle. We're working with the possibility of not killing anyone, so the civilian holding a key before the first target can open the locked door for you if you listen to the whole dialogue (he leaves and opens the door on the previous room). But I could use this idea combined with the color puzzle...

- Walking.  For example, follow a special path marked on the floor; or maybe the floor tiles change colours as you walk on them and you need to colour them so they make a certain pattern.
This could be interesting, but I think we hardly would be able to implement...

- Sounds.  For example, a hidden item that you can hear but not see; or a different sound to your footsteps that tells you you are walking along a secret path.
I, personally, would love to have sound related puzzles. But we're still having major mastering problems and other sound issues that I think a sound puzzle would be out of reach for us =/

- Censers.  Different colours of smoke could provide clues to puzzles.  Maybe you could hit the censers to change their colours, or to turn them on or off.  Maybe the smoke from special censers could have an effect on the guards.
This is the color puzzle I thought about when I read all that you said! =)
It's quite bugged actually, but the last target is supposed to be very high on hash, and there is a censer with tons of smoke, only for the aesthetic feel, though...

- Pressure pads (tiles that act as switches when you stand on them).  Maybe you need to activate two pressure pads simultaneously: you can stand on one, but you need to put an item on the other.  Or maybe you need a guard to stand on one.
We've done a puzzle like this last friday =)
It's in the room that have two girls and a dude (all civilians) and a door that leads to a teleport pad to the blue rooms. You'll have to make four pressure pads activated altogether on each corner (actually there's one that's not on the corner, but it's "yours" to activate). Also if you want to kill them, the dead bodies still makes the pads pressed.

- Keys.  The keys you pick up could be used for purposes other than unlocking doors.  Maybe a puzzle requires a key to be placed at a certain point on the floor, or you could use a key to hold down a pressure pad (as above).  (I'm assuming that keys are the only items you're able to carry around.)
Keys are the only items you carry that affect your visibility. We'll have some mini-objects that you carry via menu (like Zelda trading items) to make things available via (automatic) assemblage of the missing parts, and the alchemic puzzles will provide solutions that will open some doors.
And the idea of keys pressing the pads is nice! I still can't see where I could use it, but it's a good food for thought...

- Guards/other characters.  A puzzle may require you to lead guards to certain places in the room (for example to stand on pressure pads, as above).  Or perhaps you could be required to kill a guard so that his blood covers a certain tile on the floor (or so that his blood colours the water in a pool red).
This gave me the hint of changing a puzzle that involved sacrifice of a civilian to activate a teleporter... It first you were supposed to lead the civilian to a set of spikes (there were one at each corner) and manage to have the guard to step on the pressure pad on the center of the room (where the civilian starts). It was just not good, counter-intuitive and hard (on a bad way) to do. I'll try another approach, like just killing the victim over the teleporter (so it will start pouring red water on the teleporter) and have more guards on the room so it's risky to do the killing.

- Darts (that are shot out of holes in the wall).  Maybe these could hit things other than you, such as guards or distant switches.
Having a dart to hit a switch could make a puzzle, right after the color one I'm planning to do, much more interesting! I'll see if we'd be able to do it!

- Powder sprays.  What effect do these have on the guards?  Can they come in different colours?  Maybe for one puzzle you need to be completely covered in powder (or blood).
One of the blue rooms is an eternal prison, and you could free the trapped souls there by killing them and you do so by activating traps. One of them is a green poison gas. This one is more of an aesthetic sensation, but actually affects the next room there...

- Stealth mode.  Am I right that at one point a secret path through some pressure pads only becomes visible when you're walking stealthily?  Maybe other things (clues? a key?) should only become visible when in stealth mode.
Yeah, there are two rooms where you have a set of traps with some pads that do nothing and can be revealed by stealth mode.
I sure have to use it more often after the first target...

Again, thank you for all of it! =)

dishmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 02:07:13 AM »

Also I talked to her about your offer and she said she could send you the source txts on approximately two weeks (that's how long she said it would take to have the most of all texts written).
No problem.  If you think some extra proof-reading is worthwhile then my email address is in my profile.

I'd like to be able to write, but don't have the talent.  Reading is the next-best thing.

Considering things that have some variation (maybe there could be more) like the white vases, do you still think it's bad?
It's a minor issue, and other people will probably have different opinions, so at this stage I think it makes sense to keep things as they are.

But I found it a little bit odd that after walking around the palace for a couple of hours, my character was still not bored of telling me the contents of every single vase.  It makes sense at the start of the game, but later on I'd expect the character to start ignoring those repeated bits of scenery, or at least to only comment when there's something unusual about them (e.g., "The vases look more expensive in this part of the palace").

Cheers,
Simon
beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »

Sorry for taking so long to answer =/

I'd like to be able to write, but don't have the talent.  Reading is the next-best thing.
Is it so? If you already read a lot, maybe if you started writing a lot you could improve as a writer...

It's a minor issue, and other people will probably have different opinions, so at this stage I think it makes sense to keep things as they are.

But I found it a little bit odd that after walking around the palace for a couple of hours, my character was still not bored of telling me the contents of every single vase.  It makes sense at the start of the game, but later on I'd expect the character to start ignoring those repeated bits of scenery, or at least to only comment when there's something unusual about them (e.g., "The vases look more expensive in this part of the palace").
I agree with you (and it was something I talked to people here looong ago)... Specially for the ones that only have the same text, like the censers and the date palms. If we don't manage to have a nice variety (or some variety at all in some cases), I think it could be better to remove some texts, or make them stop appearing after you read the first.

Either way, we should have more props (and these secondary texts were added as fillers for the lack of variation between the rooms)...

beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »

After a long long time I managed to make a new build! \o/

A lot of things were added and improved.
- Added a Mini-object carrying system (like the trade items from Zelda games)
- Added the whole Alchemic Puzzle mini-game
- Improved the Dial Puzzle with more clear feedbacks
- Added more puzzles to the blue rooms (it's getting a new tileset too, still w.i.p.)
- These were the biggest things, and there are lots of minor things

PC version:
http://www.qasir.adugestudio.com/builds/beta/QasirBeta120326.rar

Mac version:
http://www.qasir.adugestudio.com/builds/beta/QasirBetaMac120326.rar

I've also made a separate build with testing chambers to test the mini-game puzzles specifically it's on this thread http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25208.0

beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 01:18:09 PM »

Hey, the game's got a new build =)

- A whole new intro seqence has been made
- We implemented a sound puzzle for the first riddle (that's possible to solve) you find
- The feedback for the dial rotation puzzle changed a little (now the right pieces are always highlited, so you can be aware of the important position of each dial)
- Minor changes on the level design
- New graphics were added or remade (like some letters you find, the sorcerer, etc)
- The poison refill from the weapon of the second target (and the asset itself) was added
- The guards won't chase you anymore during the fade
- The teleporter controller of the blue rooms hub (SU_HUB) is now working, now each branch you unlock will have its teleporters active (or should have, unless there are more bugs)
- Tons of bugs fixes

PC Version:
www.qasir.adugestudio.com/builds/beta/QasirBeta120411.rar

Mac Version:
www.qasir.adugestudio.com/builds/beta/QasirBetaMac120411.rar

Ps: We were about to make a press release but now we'll hold on a little and I forgot to remove the "end of demo" after you kill the second target. It's alright now.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:26:08 AM by beto » Logged

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 08:34:59 PM »

The game becomes frustratingly difficult (and apparently slightly glitchy) as the player approaches the Twin Riddle area in the game. Similarly, I 'solved' the Twin Riddle entirely by accident, though I imagine there's some sort of way to tell what its solution is meant to be through in-game materials.

I have yet to legitimately make it past that section, and the room after it, in a way that felt rewarding for stealthy, minimum-kills play-style type players.

Other slight glitches started to appear after that, such as an inability to pick-up the ibis symbol drawing or examine the pool near it, so I'm guessing something went wrong somehow, somewhere, in my playthrough, but I'm not sure. It's still pretty dang fun up until that point, though.

Edit: List of things I noticed, I s'ppose.

• Is the single, floating purple light-source in the new intro-sequence supposed to be of some importance? Being one of the few non-tree and non-glowing-circle-on-the-ground-gateway-things in the area made me curious about it, and I spent a bit of time trying to interact with it. It's somewhere north-east of the initial spawn, a bit south-east of the contract-circle the summoner attempts to call you (whose calls can be a little confusing to follow as beacons due to them spawning in stationary spots along the 'path' in the trees- though the path itself is easy to follow without the summoner's dialogue poppin' up).
  • Entry into the broken fountain room is difficult, but possible without killing the two guards guarding its initial entryway. Not sure if this should be considered a bug, or allowed for those players who would prefer to kill the least amount possible.
  • Examining the oryx shaped censer in the lower-right corner of the broken fountain room is slightly difficult; the "..." or "?" prompt will frequently not appear when attempting to examine it, though it does produce text when examined. It doesn't seem to be too important an object, but since I hadn't seen it in the previous build I played (and didn't find another object like it in any of the rooms), I wanted to mention it.
  • A guard that used to spawn and patrol the hallway north of the lead key's room- he no longer appears. Is this intentional? It does make the first experience in key carrying easier, but it also prevents teaching players about dropping the key and moving away from it in stealth mode to avoid being killed, which might become a problem once players are forced to maneuver around 2 guards with the silver key. Of course, at this point in the game the checkpoints are still very permissive and frequent, so it's not a big issue.
  • Backtracking in the first few rooms is suicide to curious, exploration-oriented players due to guard placement. Consider despawning guards close to doors or changing their walk cycles to allow the player to maneuver out of their path- often the player will simply appear and immediately die due to their spawn position being directly on-top of a guard's spawn position. Again, not a big issue when the checkpoints are generous, and leaving it as-is can push players forward towards progressing the story without them feeling like doors are being locked pointlessly behind them (i.e.- it's not the game's fault I can't backtrack; it's my fault, knowing that those guards are going to be right next to the doors I just went through).
  • Possible Spoiler? Mouse-over. This is only a suggestion, and doesn't really apply if you'd rather the players not care about going through the game with the least kills possible.
  • Possible Spoiler? Mouse-over. Same basis as the above, though I think it'd be interesting to implement. Might be too difficult to do so, however, as it implies modifying the behavior of characters already set to follow programmed paths to walk over to the appropriate door that corresponds to the key they picked up.
  • Definite Spoiler? Mouse-over. This is in regards to difficulty in some areas.
  • There's some miscellaneous glitches elsewhere, but since I got to them via a debug function and many of them seem to be in areas that are still being developed, I decided to not give them too much importance. Please let me know if you'd like me to list them, however. I feel like at least mentioning that I'm not sure how to trigger the invulnerability (O key) debug feature in the latest build. Is it currently disabled, a hold-to-use (like stealth), or a toggle? Are there conditions under the which it won't toggle?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:24:02 AM by ElTipejoLoco » Logged

Currently brainstorming for a project
beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »

@ElTipejoLoco

Thanks for testing the game and providing feedback! =)
Sorry I took too long to show up, but todat I took the day off because I was kinda burnt out and now I'm going to sleep (UTC-03:00) because I'm not doing it again tomorrow haha.

Tomorrow I'll give the proper replies to all you said.

beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »

The game becomes frustratingly difficult (and apparently slightly glitchy) as the player approaches the Twin Riddle area in the game. Similarly, I 'solved' the Twin Riddle entirely by accident, though I imagine there's some sort of way to tell what its solution is meant to be through in-game materials.
We'll still work on ways to help players learn what they're supposed to do (like informing that it's a puzzle about harmony and not melody).

I have yet to legitimately make it past that section, and the room after it, in a way that felt rewarding for stealthy, minimum-kills play-style type players.
I've added some seconds to the timed lever so it's more possible to get past the guards without killing them.

Other slight glitches started to appear after that, such as an inability to pick-up the ibis symbol drawing or examine the pool near it, so I'm guessing something went wrong somehow, somewhere, in my playthrough, but I'm not sure. It's still pretty dang fun up until that point, though.
I've just noticed that the contact area that triggers the text was ultra-small and the area of the investigation icon was the right size (so you'd see the icon but not necessarily would collide with the text trigger). But I've just removed the snake and ibis documents with the drafts of the right glyphs, because they made no sense, from the content perspective, and now the dials themselves have indications of their right positions (and the hint documents were supposed to point that the puzzles worked this way).

Is the single, floating purple light-source in the new intro-sequence supposed to be of some importance? Being one of the few non-tree and non-glowing-circle-on-the-ground-gateway-things in the area made me curious about it, and I spent a bit of time trying to interact with it. It's somewhere north-east of the initial spawn, a bit south-east of the contract-circle the summoner attempts to call you (whose calls can be a little confusing to follow as beacons due to them spawning in stationary spots along the 'path' in the trees- though the path itself is easy to follow without the summoner's dialogue poppin' up).
It was something related to someone that's been watching you apart from time itself. But we've just removed it because it was confusing and so subtle that wouldn't add much to the plotline.

Entry into the broken fountain room is difficult, but possible without killing the two guards guarding its initial entryway. Not sure if this should be considered a bug, or allowed for those players who would prefer to kill the least amount possible.
Not killing them is supposed to be possible. Although playing by the least killings is also supposed to have a different feeling of difficulty.

Examining the oryx shaped censer in the lower-right corner of the broken fountain room is slightly difficult; the "..." or "?" prompt will frequently not appear when attempting to examine it, though it does produce text when examined. It doesn't seem to be too important an object, but since I hadn't seen it in the previous build I played (and didn't find another object like it in any of the rooms), I wanted to mention it.
I rechecked the texts and investigations' collisions on that room and now they should be fine. (this room also got new graphics for the explosion and now it's pretty cool)

A guard that used to spawn and patrol the hallway north of the lead key's room- he no longer appears. Is this intentional? It does make the first experience in key carrying easier, but it also prevents teaching players about dropping the key and moving away from it in stealth mode to avoid being killed, which might become a problem once players are forced to maneuver around 2 guards with the silver key. Of course, at this point in the game the checkpoints are still very permissive and frequent, so it's not a big issue.
We fixed a bug (the guards were able to see you dirty during fade and would give chase before you could see the room) and created another one. Now it's all fixed up!

Backtracking in the first few rooms is suicide to curious, exploration-oriented players due to guard placement. Consider despawning guards close to doors or changing their walk cycles to allow the player to maneuver out of their path- often the player will simply appear and immediately die due to their spawn position being directly on-top of a guard's spawn position. Again, not a big issue when the checkpoints are generous, and leaving it as-is can push players forward towards progressing the story without them feeling like doors are being locked pointlessly behind them (i.e.- it's not the game's fault I can't backtrack; it's my fault, knowing that those guards are going to be right next to the doors I just went through).
With the fix of the guards not seeing you during the fade and another fix I made on those guards' patrol routines it should be possible to backtrack at your will (also it should be possible everywhere on the game).

Possible Spoiler? Mouse-over. This is only a suggestion, and doesn't really apply if you'd rather the players not care about going through the game with the least kills possible.
We care about the least kills possible. But this would open precedent for some (possibly) frustrating backtracks I guess, since you'd still have to kill the three targets to fulfill the contract (I'm still working in a way that killing only the targets could be the least kills possible [actually there are some rooms that prevent it from happening]).

Possible Spoiler? Mouse-over. Same basis as the above, though I think it'd be interesting to implement. Might be too difficult to do so, however, as it implies modifying the behavior of characters already set to follow programmed paths to walk over to the appropriate door that corresponds to the key they picked up.
This would be really interesting. But unfortunately this out of our capabilities =/
I've added another event related to this that happen if you listen to a whole dialogue (and the same effects, gameplaywise, could be attained by killing).

Definite Spoiler? Mouse-over. This is in regards to difficulty in some areas.
As I've said above, I've made the timings a little more forgiving =]

There's some miscellaneous glitches elsewhere, but since I got to them via a debug function and many of them seem to be in areas that are still being developed, I decided to not give them too much importance. Please let me know if you'd like me to list them, however. I feel like at least mentioning that I'm not sure how to trigger the invulnerability (O key) debug feature in the latest build. Is it currently disabled, a hold-to-use (like stealth), or a toggle? Are there conditions under the which it won't toggle?
If you could list them it would be nice =]
Maybe even if it's something under development you could find things that are going wrong or give suggestions that would help improving the game...
The invulnerability has no feedback, and it's a toggle. You activate the debug log by pressing P and then pressing O toggles invulnerability. I wouldn't say for sure, but it's supposed to work everytime until deactivated or if you start a new game.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! o/

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 12:07:26 PM »

Blink

Posting to keep an eye on this, a bit too busy to beta test but would definitely buy the game when it's finished. Sounds amazing, keep up the good work.

dishmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 11:34:44 AM »

Hi, beto.

I've had a play through of the latest build, up to the first assassination.  I'll carry on from there when I have the time, but I figured I'd share my comments up to that point.  I didn't spot any bugs, so these are just things that didn't feel quite right to me.

First up, on the title screen it probably needs to say "Press any key to begin" or similar.  Every time I start the game I end up staring at that screen waiting for something to happen.  (You'd think I'd learn...)

I liked the new intro section.  But I have a feeling that I found my way through the trees by trial-and-error rather than by solving a puzzle.  If that's the intention then fair enough -- I'm just mentioning it in case I missed something.

I think I grumbled before about the information icons, so apologies if I'm repeating myself, but I still feel they could be tightened up a bit.  Is there a difference between "...", "?" and "!"?  I'm guessing that they indicate different types of information, but the distinction feels quite arbitrary in practice, and I think it might be neater if just one icon ("..." say) was used throughout.  There were a few times when my character had the "..." icon over his (her?!) head but nothing happened when I pressed Space.  (In one case this happened immediately after listening to a conversation between two guards, which may be something to do with it.)  Finally, there was a key that I could pick up, but that didn't show an information icon.  That seemed awkward, like the game was trying to trick me into assuming that the key was just a bit of scenery.

At the first point in the game where you're encouraged to kill guards (one of them is blocking the exit) you're forced to listen to a conversation when you enter.  If you die in that room, then you're forced to listen to the same conversation again when you re-enter.  Trouble is, I died in that room a lot, because I wanted to get a feel for how the guards behaved, how near you needed to be to hit one, how easy it was to distract them and sneak past without killing, etc.  I got very sick of that conversation.

When you find a letter (or other clue) and the game takes you to the "Remarks" page, it shows a picture of the letter but not its text.  By luck I found that you can press Space to bring up the text.  This should be explained somewhere, or perhaps the text should appear automatically.

It's nice to see the Alchemy puzzle in place.  I guess this is something that's still work-in-progress since the text explaining how to operate the puzzle was displayed as part of the main game and not within the puzzle itself.  I still think people will find the first Alchemy puzzle a bit of a struggle unless the game talks them through it a bit more.  (Ideally, pressing Space should give more feedback as to why the puzzle isn't complete yet -- wrong chemicals connected, filter not used, that sort of thing -- but I can understand that that would be quite tough to do.)  Adding one extra bit of horizontal pipe to the inventory would make that first puzzle just a bit easier.

Keep up the good work.  I'm looking forward to playing the next section when I've got the time.

Simon
beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 06:44:40 AM »

Blink

Posting to keep an eye on this, a bit too busy to beta test but would definitely buy the game when it's finished. Sounds amazing, keep up the good work.

Oh, thank you! =]

It will be finished soon!
The game was scheduled to be released on the second week of May, but since Diablo III is probably going to be released May 15th we delayed ours a little hahaha

If you'd like, pre-oder is available at http://qasir.adugestudio.com/

beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 07:17:54 AM »

First up, on the title screen it probably needs to say "Press any key to begin" or similar.  Every time I start the game I end up staring at that screen waiting for something to happen.  (You'd think I'd learn...)
You're right! It's absolutely necessary! We had a press enter screen and I don't know why the hell it's not there anymore. Even though you can press any key (not absolutely sure about it, but I know there are several that work) and not only enter, it's better to have a press enter than not having anything.

I liked the new intro section.  But I have a feeling that I found my way through the trees by trial-and-error rather than by solving a puzzle.  If that's the intention then fair enough -- I'm just mentioning it in case I missed something.
We wanted to create a place where you could walk and get lost a little, but wouldn't be painful to find your way. If you didn't find it annoying, I think it's ok...

I think I grumbled before about the information icons, so apologies if I'm repeating myself, but I still feel they could be tightened up a bit.  Is there a difference between "...", "?" and "!"?  I'm guessing that they indicate different types of information, but the distinction feels quite arbitrary in practice, and I think it might be neater if just one icon ("..." say) was used throughout.  There were a few times when my character had the "..." icon over his (her?!) head but nothing happened when I pressed Space.  (In one case this happened immediately after listening to a conversation between two guards, which may be something to do with it.)  Finally, there was a key that I could pick up, but that didn't show an information icon.  That seemed awkward, like the game was trying to trick me into assuming that the key was just a bit of scenery.
The ... are supposed to indicate trivial things and things the character don't recognize relevance at first glance. The ? are supposed to indicate curious things and things related to puzzles in a more tangential way. The ! are supposed to indicate things related to the solution of puzzles and things like that.
Can you recap where this issue happened? There are some places where the investigation collider is bigger than the text manager or your attack area (the text is triggered when your arrack area collides with the text manager) is touching two text colliders.

At the first point in the game where you're encouraged to kill guards (one of them is blocking the exit) you're forced to listen to a conversation when you enter.  If you die in that room, then you're forced to listen to the same conversation again when you re-enter.  Trouble is, I died in that room a lot, because I wanted to get a feel for how the guards behaved, how near you needed to be to hit one, how easy it was to distract them and sneak past without killing, etc.  I got very sick of that conversation.
From how the save works I think there wouldn't be a way to record if a text was heard after you've saved. One way to get around it would be listen to the dialogue and then leave to the previous room (there is a save point on the doors of that room) and re-enter the room.

When you find a letter (or other clue) and the game takes you to the "Remarks" page, it shows a picture of the letter but not its text.  By luck I found that you can press Space to bring up the text.  This should be explained somewhere, or perhaps the text should appear automatically.
It would be nice to have some feedback of that menu's controls. Maybe having a yellow dot there could help (since you have to press the investigation button to display some texts and when the dot appears it indicates that you also have to press it to advance). Anyways, we're going to rethink the menu interface as it's got other problems too.

It's nice to see the Alchemy puzzle in place.  I guess this is something that's still work-in-progress since the text explaining how to operate the puzzle was displayed as part of the main game and not within the puzzle itself.  I still think people will find the first Alchemy puzzle a bit of a struggle unless the game talks them through it a bit more.  (Ideally, pressing Space should give more feedback as to why the puzzle isn't complete yet -- wrong chemicals connected, filter not used, that sort of thing -- but I can understand that that would be quite tough to do.)  Adding one extra bit of horizontal pipe to the inventory would make that first puzzle just a bit easier.
You're right, it's really a placeholder "tutorial". We're thinking about having a document explaining about the alchemic elements and perhaps linking visual cues about how the puzzle is operated, since a visual sort of turorial would be nice for this puzzle. Also we plan to free the investigation button to show you the recipe, and then you'd activate the puzzle by pressing action on the final container (then it would give you feedback if you tried to activate it but had leaks or the wrong recipe). I'll take it intro consideration (but I'll have to think it a little harder, since the first and second recipes share the same puzzle table)

Keep up the good work.  I'm looking forward to playing the next section when I've got the time.
Thanks a lot Simon! =]

dishmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »

There were a few times when my character had the "..." icon over his (her?!) head but nothing happened when I pressed Space.  (In one case this happened immediately after listening to a conversation between two guards, which may be something to do with it.) 
[...]Can you recap where this issue happened?
I think that happened in the room I was mentioning with the two guards (one of them blocking the door).  Walk up to the censer in the middle of the room.  The "..." appears and the guards start talking.  When they finish, the "..." is still there, but pressing Space does nothing.  I did intend to keep detailed notes of every glitch I saw, but it's very difficult to describe the different rooms (the debug mode seemed to say "Room 0_0" more often than not).

Continuing the game (after a bit of a delay) from just after the first assassination...

Heading north from the central (pools and statues) room, I got to a "warp zone".  (The unusual nature of the room is only explained on the menu screen.  A comment in the game itself would be nice.)  There are a lot of floor switches and dart guns in this area.  I felt that the switches were unnecessarily sensitive, considering that I'm controlling a nearly-invisible character in a poorly-lit environment.  It didn't feel like it was my fault when I died in that room (which, as usual, I did a lot).

On the subject of dying, it might be worth making the character's death animation a bit more noticeable.  One time when I triggered the dart guns, I didn't realise what had happened.  I wasn't looking at my character, so I didn't register the death animation.  The next thing I knew the screen had turned black, and I assumed the game had crashed.

Later, there's a corridor with red splashes on the floor and a jug of pink liquid.  In one place the "..." icon appeared, but hitting space didn't do anything.  When I tried examining the jug of pink stuff it said, "An empty dish," which doesn't sound quite right.

Another problem with the "..." icon.  When I solved a dial problem, it opened a box, but (I guess since I was standing next to it already) no "..." icon appeared to let me examine the box.  I had to walk away and come back to the box before I was allowed to examine it.

After about thirty minutes of playing, a lot of the sound effects vanished (no footsteps, including in water, and no sound during the dial puzzle).  Quitting and restarting fixed the problem.

Exploring the rooms to the north-west (north of the pool room to the west of the central room) I got quite a long way without hitting a save point.  I'd filled in maybe half-a-dozen rooms on the map, and listened to a couple of long conversations.  When I was killed (by a fast-moving ninja) I was surprised how far back the game put me.  So I figured that was an appropriate point to take another break from playing.

One final point.  I don't know if it's just my machine, but the game's frame rate is worryingly low at times.  It's an old machine but I haven't noticed problems with other games (certainly not in 2D).  The problem seems to be worst when I alarm a guard - the game almost freezes for a second or two (which makes getting away from the guard rather awkward).  I've tried running with a small window size (800x600) and the lowest graphics settings, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

More feedback on the next part of the game soon...

Simon
beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 06:37:17 PM »

I think that happened in the room I was mentioning with the two guards (one of them blocking the door).  Walk up to the censer in the middle of the room.  The "..." appears and the guards start talking.  When they finish, the "..." is still there, but pressing Space does nothing.  I did intend to keep detailed notes of every glitch I saw, but it's very difficult to describe the different rooms (the debug mode seemed to say "Room 0_0" more often than not).
Hm... I'll check this thing with the censer and the dialogue.
I don't know why the debugger is not showing the rooms' names properly anymore (btw, 0_0 is the root room where the game controller is created)...

Heading north from the central (pools and statues) room, I got to a "warp zone".  (The unusual nature of the room is only explained on the menu screen.  A comment in the game itself would be nice.)  There are a lot of floor switches and dart guns in this area.  I felt that the switches were unnecessarily sensitive, considering that I'm controlling a nearly-invisible character in a poorly-lit environment.  It didn't feel like it was my fault when I died in that room (which, as usual, I did a lot).
We used to have these informations as the default text that you could activate anywhere (unless there was some other text to be activated where you'd be standing), but it was causing so many issues we decided to put it on the menu... It would be really nice if we managed to know how to have them without having tons of bugs too...
All the pressure pads hitboxes are larger than they should. I think they were this size because the character was smaller back then when we created the pressure pads and I forgot to change their hitboxes size. I'll change them to have a fair size.

On the subject of dying, it might be worth making the character's death animation a bit more noticeable.  One time when I triggered the dart guns, I didn't realise what had happened.  I wasn't looking at my character, so I didn't register the death animation.  The next thing I knew the screen had turned black, and I assumed the game had crashed.
We now have a dying/mission failed screen. It fades white and then the character does the death animation and there's a text indicating what happened =]

Later, there's a corridor with red splashes on the floor and a jug of pink liquid.  In one place the "..." icon appeared, but hitting space didn't do anything.  When I tried examining the jug of pink stuff it said, "An empty dish," which doesn't sound quite right.
That was a poison charger. On this version we had all texts related to the poison broken. Now they're fixed and working (as far as I know).

Another problem with the "..." icon.  When I solved a dial problem, it opened a box, but (I guess since I was standing next to it already) no "..." icon appeared to let me examine the box.  I had to walk away and come back to the box before I was allowed to examine it.
This is a bug that still needs to be fixed.

After about thirty minutes of playing, a lot of the sound effects vanished (no footsteps, including in water, and no sound during the dial puzzle).  Quitting and restarting fixed the problem.
We were investigating it today. Seems like it's a bug with the character audio source (that routes many sounds through the game) getting its values messed up. I hope we can come up with a solution soon... I've seen that bugs with sound are somewhat harder to solve...

Exploring the rooms to the north-west (north of the pool room to the west of the central room) I got quite a long way without hitting a save point.  I'd filled in maybe half-a-dozen rooms on the map, and listened to a couple of long conversations.  When I was killed (by a fast-moving ninja) I was surprised how far back the game put me.  So I figured that was an appropriate point to take another break from playing.
I'll check out the save points... There should be one in the room between the endless fire and the sound puzzle, if you took the fire path, and one in the top-center corridor for the other path. Both of them aren't too far away from the flooded room, that is close to the target room antichamber (where I've just seen that it had its save point missing).

One final point.  I don't know if it's just my machine, but the game's frame rate is worryingly low at times.  It's an old machine but I haven't noticed problems with other games (certainly not in 2D).  The problem seems to be worst when I alarm a guard - the game almost freezes for a second or two (which makes getting away from the guard rather awkward).  I've tried running with a small window size (800x600) and the lowest graphics settings, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
I tell the others (the director and the programmer) to check it out. But we're very concerned about the game performance, and last week we dedicated some effort into it. We could say the performance was improved some 10%...

More feedback on the next part of the game soon...
Simon
Thanks a lot, man! =]

dishmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 12:08:12 PM »

Hi, beto.  Some more comments for you.

The game's frame rate is causing me some real difficulty.  In the room at the top-left of the map (flooded, lots of guards, just before the second assassination) the game slows to roughly two frames per second.  When I pull the switch in this room the game freezes for about three seconds.  I almost had to give up completely at that point because dodging the guards and getting through the gate in the time limit seemed almost impossible under those circumstances.  But by pure luck after half-a-dozen attempts I managed it.  So I kept on playing. Smiley

After the second assassination, you're covered in blood - potentially a lot of it if you've been on a killing spree.  The way back is locked, and the way forward requires getting past a couple of guards.  I don't know if it's deliberate, but there's no way to get clean before having to go up against those guards, so they could potentially be very difficult to deal with.

I've noticed that if you keep the 'stealth' button held when going through a door, then you're not in stealth mode in the new room.  Which can be fatal.

Heading north from the Eastern pool room, I got through three or four more rooms (past a new type of guard who for some reason have numbers next to their heads) before a guard materialized almost on top of me, and made me respawn back in the pool room.  Maybe it's just not practical, but having save points every couple of rooms would remove a source of frustration - and stop giving me an excuse for pressing quit on the game.

Simon
beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 09:17:24 AM »

Hello Simon!
I'm terribly sorry for taking so long to show up.
I've been quite away from the forum recently due to a lot of things, mostly because of the developing of our game (we're trying hard to deliver everything that's missing and testing if the things are working as they should so that you'd have a better experience testing).

The game's frame rate is causing me some real difficulty.  In the room at the top-left of the map (flooded, lots of guards, just before the second assassination) the game slows to roughly two frames per second.  When I pull the switch in this room the game freezes for about three seconds.  I almost had to give up completely at that point because dodging the guards and getting through the gate in the time limit seemed almost impossible under those circumstances.  But by pure luck after half-a-dozen attempts I managed it.  So I kept on playing.
We started using Unity 3.5 and the performance increased a little only by using the new version (I guess the last version I uploaded here was made on the previous version). Also we tried to optimize lots of things. For example, on the flooded room the dye traps were removed and we solved a bug of performance when the guards spotted you. I guess this room (and probably others) should be better now...

After the second assassination, you're covered in blood - potentially a lot of it if you've been on a killing spree.  The way back is locked, and the way forward requires getting past a couple of guards.  I don't know if it's deliberate, but there's no way to get clean before having to go up against those guards, so they could potentially be very difficult to deal with.
I've managed to redesign the patrol of the guards and you can pass through that room (when you're clean) carrying the key without being spotted =]
The same goes for the room after the first target. I guess now it's possible to beat the game without killing (except for the tagets) too.

I've noticed that if you keep the 'stealth' button held when going through a door, then you're not in stealth mode in the new room.  Which can be fatal.
This is a problem of the engine itself. It loses the information of the key that's being pressed when it unloads a scene and loads another.
Seems like that accessing the input manager (or a decent one) is one of the most requested features from Unity.

Heading north from the Eastern pool room, I got through three or four more rooms (past a new type of guard who for some reason have numbers next to their heads) before a guard materialized almost on top of me, and made me respawn back in the pool room.  Maybe it's just not practical, but having save points every couple of rooms would remove a source of frustration - and stop giving me an excuse for pressing quit on the game.
Now they have their proper awesome (I think) graphics and =]
Also they show up faster (it avoids the materializing bad surprise) and have slightly different speed attributes and behavior.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic