Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:59:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRom hacks/ZC quests
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Rom hacks/ZC quests  (Read 17008 times)
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »

dEnamed, I couldn't find similar problems on the forums. If you ever get another comp to use, try then, I guarantee it'll be worth it.

Thanks for the colour correct batch file, really helped. Beer! Maybe that should be added to the blog post?

I only have really got to play is Lost Isle, and from a personal perspective it is far from perfect.

Using ammo for a weapon for currency as well really frustrates me. I find myself never wanting wanting to use arrows because if I waste them, I have no money to purchase upgrades and items that I may need. Silly form of resource management if you ask me.

I know the game is all about exploration, but I would like a little more direction as to what the hell I'm supposed to be doing. SPOILER: Wandering around the whole place with only a general idea of what to do from the "villagers". I didn't know I could even kill the dragons at the beginning, having them sit behind the spikes gave me an impression that I needed a ranged weapon, ironically.

The first dungeon is severely tedious. Every time you died (which was tons) you must go through numerous mandatory tasks every single time to progress where you were previously. I know you can create shortcuts, but it still takes forever. It wouldn't have been too bad if going to where I left off was easy, but sometimes I can't even get there because I died from enemies along the way. Finally getting to where I was stuck, I die trying to figure out what I am to do. Fuuuuun. I've only been to the first dungeon, so if anyone can confirm that this isn't a recurring theme I would be extremely grateful.

That being said I am enjoying this so far, and it definitely won't sop me from checking the others on the list.

One of the people who created this (DarkFlameWolf) is known for creating quests for experts, so you might have to play other high-rated games by other people to get into it. Once you get used to the physics of the game and can move around well as well as deal with darknut, wizzrobe and fast boomerang-type enemies well(which takes a good number of quests), Lost Isle goes from very hard to just hard enough.

As for using money as ammo, I've played a lot of quests and find that it is one of the few things that give them the right challenge. Arrows are the best item in the game, so good quests are ones that make sure that excessive use of the arrows means no money for more arrows or no money for shop items. The original Zelda 1 did this perfectly, as every time you come to a shop, you probably will never have enough money for the better items every playthrough.

As for getting lost, I'll try to scan what I did in my notebook soon, but ZC quests are always big and you'll need to keep track of everything even in dungeons. Here's a temp paint job:

Click for larger, won't show up large here

Also, nice to see the front page has my post :D

EDIT: The black circle in one of the squares shows the starting screen of the game. I use this in some quests to keep track of notes (1N means 1 screen north of the starting screen). For Lost Isle, you might just want to use co-ordinates as it's got a grid in its map.

Also, a tip: you can find shields and 1/2 health bottles scattered around in chests. If you don't need them (you have a full bottle or the upgraded shield from a previous chest), leave them there and come back when you need them (a Like-Like stole your shield or an area absolutely required you to use a 1/2 potion.

Another tip: Lost Isle comes with a readme, at the bottom shows how many hearts and heart pieces you can have before each dungeon if you're feeling completist. It also tells you that dialogue in the village changes after every dungeon, so if you're feeling lost and not doing maps, you can go to them.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:01:47 PM by vinheim3 » Logged
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 11:25:08 AM »

I've got some pics up of how I do my maps. This is just in case people might get frustrated and lost due to the nature of Zelda 1 overworld exploration. It also helps with the completist value in the games as it's easier to navigate and get to all those new places that can be unlocked with a new item. I've also got some great new quests to recommend.

This shows how I draw maps and paths.

Just like every metroidvania, keeping a list of obstacles around the world helps. For ZC games, marking things down on maps is easier because it's grid-based with nothing fancy added like Metroid's and Lyle in Cube Sector's multiple screens in one room.

Souls of Wisdom
Closely themed with Ocarina of Time, you have 3 dungeons to go to before an event occurs which forces you to go find 8 triforce pieces which are associated with a sage. It has a light and dark world like A Link to The Past, with a light world of around 3 overworlds, so it's pretty big. What it lacks in dungeon exploration (quite linear, easy to remember where obstacles are without drawing a map), it makes up for in dungeon design. It doesn't have the usual screens with 4 walls around, but is decorated to look like there are multiple screens in one room and there are sometimes rooms that are outdoors.

Can be found at http://www.zeldaclassic.com/viewquest.php?q=411

It's recommended to play it on ZC 2.5 whichever latest build you can download at http://shardstorm.com

End of Time DX
The game doesn't have much appeal at the start. It gives you this sense that the overworld is mostly filler, empty and easy to travel through. This is because you can get the 1st item in a minute and then the 1st dungeon in a minute. There are only like 5 rooms to explore before the 1st dungeon. Once you get past the first 2 dungeons, the quality picks up quickly, playing somewhat like Hero of Dreams (if you've played it). The dungeons have great design and exploration as well as block puzzles and tight battle sequences (mostly in the last 3 or 4 dungeons).

Can be found at http://www.zeldaclassic.com/viewquest.php?q=400 and uses ZC 2.10

Tropicana Island
Plays very frustrating at first as dying before the 1st dungeon takes you back to the beginning and the actual distance is quite long. Once you get the 1st dungeon item, shortcuts are made making future exploration easier. The quest plays like Oracle of Seasons, you have stumps scattered around and can change to any season. It's very different to other ZC quests as there is little to no metroidvania in it. It is made fun purely from the exploration: exploring as much as possible in one season, noting down new stumps, making sure you've explored as much as possible on each stump with each season, as well as the twisting paths (one of the seasons has been mapped as the 1st image in this post). The dungeon uses stumps too (it mixes with the overworld). I say dungeon because I've been to 2 "dungeons" that have turned out to be separate entrances to the 1 dungeon.

Can be found at http://www.zeldaclassic.com/viewquest.php?q=420 and uses ZC 1.92 build 184 (The 184 player)

Also, I wouldn't recommend playing Lost Isle first, it's long and winding and if you get used to drawing maps from other quests, it becomes easier (though still difficult)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:49:44 PM by vinheim3 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic