Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:04:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Dilating Pupil - puzzle-platformer, shrink and grow yourself
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Dilating Pupil - puzzle-platformer, shrink and grow yourself  (Read 5215 times)
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 09:53:06 AM »

Reminded me of Specter Spelunker Shrinks. Back then I enjoyed the growing/shrinking mechanic, but SSS didn't do anything really interesting with it. Your approach of using it for puzzle-solving seems like a better idea. I especially liked Foot In The Door and Like A Rolling Stone. If you can think up two dozen gimmicks as clever as those, this game could really be something special.

Controls felt solid most of the time. Except in Rolling Stone where I had a really hard time jumping into the rolling maze. Maybe I shrunk the guy too much, but I just couldn't jump left fast enough. The thing kept rolling over my head.

The level select screen is kinda confusing. Even with the "Done!" signs, I was still disoriented whenever I came back there. Couldn't you make me re-appear on the last block I was on before I fell into the previous level? That would help.

I also think this game will benefit alot from having proper graphics. They would add a sense of scale. Like, at first you're in your house shoving furniture around, and then for the next puzzle you go outside and grow bigger than the entire house. (Or supersmall so you can crawl into the plumbing). That one scene in What It Do Baby Boo already looked really nice, I can't wait until the entire game is like that.

Thanks for checking it out! Yeah I ran into SSS and some other similar games while researching the idea. I got a list here, check em out! Totally agreed about 'rolling stone' and the level select. I'll try and fix em up soon.

I'm glad you like the art so far! We're both working part-time and busy with other stuff, so it may take a while, but check out John's other work for a preview of what it may look like!

The moment when you leave the tutorial area and realize that it's relatively small compared to the rest of the level is awesome. I think if you can, you should definitely try to have more elements of juxtaposition like that as you continue with the project.

Glad you dug it Smiley I literally just copy/pasted the level, scaled it up, and it just kinda worked. I do want to play around with the idea of recursion as well, since the physics seem robust enough to handle it. Cheers!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic