Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:01:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesign3D glasses 2-player on one keyboard
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: 3D glasses 2-player on one keyboard  (Read 16031 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:10:24 PM »

Instead of one eye being blue and the other red, both eyes are red and the other player has both eyes blue. Then, things drawn in blue will be invisible to player 2 and things drawn in red will be invisible to player 1. It would be some kind of stealth game, most likely, where each player has to out-sneak his opponent.

Am I making sense here?

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 11:23:27 PM »

Yes, in fact, and it's a really interesting eye-soreing idea. o.o

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 04:30:27 AM »

Should replace the ole "cardboard" technology very efficiently  Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 06:32:49 AM »

Problem is if the screen colors are off then a ghost of the other image appears.

Still, it's an intriguing idea, tho I'd recommend a setting that accounted for the mono-chromatic vision of the player. Perhaps vampires vs werewolves or robots. Ooh, got it, zombie vs human.

What sort of processing power would it take to render two separate screens in gray scale, then splice them together. What filter would you use? Multiplication? This idea actually bears some exploration.

Would it be possible to have a third player in? Would a green filter work since we're filtering light?

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 10:27:31 AM »

Instead of one eye being blue and the other red, both eyes are red and the other player has both eyes blue. Then, things drawn in blue will be invisible to player 2 and things drawn in red will be invisible to player 1. It would be some kind of stealth game, most likely, where each player has to out-sneak his opponent.

Am I making sense here?
haha ahaha thats really cool!

i think thats clever.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 11:35:53 AM »

Really clever and interesting idea!  Beer!

Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 11:55:29 AM »

That sounds similar to DLP DualView technology, but with red/green filters...

http://www.slashgear.com/ces-2008-ultimate-gaming-experience-with-dlp-dualview-technology-109578.php

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »

For it to work, the background would need to be all black though.

increpare
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 04:24:33 PM »

For it to work, the background would need to be all black though.
Why?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 04:47:54 PM »

well, if you display a blue characfter on a white background,and if you have glasses that don't let you see blue, you won't see the blue character but you'll see the "hole" of the character through the white background. (i.e the area will be less white than the rest)
Won't happen on black.

increpare
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 04:53:51 PM »

well, if you display a blue characfter on a white background,and if you have glasses that don't let you see blue, you won't see the blue character but you'll see the "hole" of the character through the white background. (i.e the area will be less white than the rest)
Won't happen on black.
Oh okay.  I get you, I think. 
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 05:54:15 PM »

But on second thought, maybe I'm wrong. lol.Not sure.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 06:06:10 PM »

I think you're right, except that the background should be white rather than black. I've seen it done, kind of, in a comic book: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier. In that, they use normal 3D goggles, but there is this one incredibly awesome bit where there are like... portals to other dimensions, and they just look like scribbly noise at first. But they're actually two pictures, one red and one blue, drawn over each other. So when you close one eye, one picture emerges, and when you close the other eye, you get the other one. Effin genius. And in that, the background was white. So I think white should work.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »

Maybe with a combination of colors and textures the characters would be hard to notice, specially if the game has a good amount of movement. That way you could put background and stuff.

TheMeatyBall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 12:24:22 PM »

Awsome idea man! Grin
But for it to work, don't you need to have the exact same color on the monitor, as the one your glasses have?
That can be hard if you don't know what RBG/hexadecimal(or what ever they use) your glasses have.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 12:28:59 PM by TheMeatyBall » Logged
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 12:29:40 PM »

The idea is great, if perhaps not too practical.

In fact you could use any background you like, even arbitrary textures etc. You just need to render your characters so that they only affect one color channel. I think OpenGL even has bitmasks for each individual color channel, so it would be easy to do.

EDIT: http://opengl.org/documentation/specs/man_pages/hardcopy/GL/html/gl/colormask.html
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 01:36:15 PM »

well, if you display a blue character on a white background,and if you have glasses that don't let you see blue, you won't see the blue character but you'll see the "hole" of the character through the white background. (i.e the area will be less white than the rest)
Won't happen on black.
It works just fine in 3d magazines to have a white background.

truth is I've got to try it to see if it works.

That sounds similar to DLP DualView technology, but with red/green filters...

http://www.slashgear.com/ces-2008-ultimate-gaming-experience-with-dlp-dualview-technology-109578.php
Except that's shutter glasses (which have been known to give me headaches) and this is color filters.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 01:44:43 PM »

well, if you display a blue character on a white background,and if you have glasses that don't let you see blue, you won't see the blue character but you'll see the "hole" of the character through the white background. (i.e the area will be less white than the rest)
Won't happen on black.
It works just fine in 3d magazines to have a white background.

truth is I've got to try it to see if it works.

In theory it's easy. A white background is RGB=(1,1,1), and viewing it through blue glasses basically means the blue component is filtered out, so you'd only perceive the channels RG=(1,1). So to make a sprite that the player with blue glasses can't see, you can choose any color RGB=(1,1,x) with x<1. The greatest contrast is achieved by using RGB=(1,1,0), i.e. "white minus blue" or yellow. Other players would see a darker spot where you use this color, while the "blue" player shouldn't notice the difference.

On the other hand, if you use a black background, RGB=(0,0,0), you'd have to use a blue sprite RGB=(0,0,1) for it to be invisible to the "blue" player.

That's my theory at least. Depends on the glasses perfectly matching the hue of the computer's blue, which is probably unlikely. But maybe it would be good enough.
increpare
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 01:58:07 PM »

That's my theory at least. Depends on the glasses perfectly matching the hue of the computer's blue, which is probably unlikely. But maybe it would be good enough.
Especially if you compensated for possibly ghosty-effects with some random noise of a compensatory variety.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 02:19:55 PM »

Good idea. I'm actually itching to try this out now, but.... time. Sigh.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic