Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:44:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesign3D glasses 2-player on one keyboard
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: 3D glasses 2-player on one keyboard  (Read 16039 times)
moboid
Level 0

I know it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 01:26:46 PM »

Depends on the glasses perfectly matching the hue of the computer's blue, which is probably unlikely. But maybe it would be good enough.

For GAMMA 3D, there will be something like 8 different makes and models of projectors used at the event, so it's going to be tricky.  This is why we have a tech requirement for the selected games that the two color values be made tweakable.  That way we can get it as close to perfect as we can manage.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:30:03 PM by moboid » Logged

increpare
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 01:44:58 PM »

So, who's going to be wearing all red/cyan to this event?
Tatsu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »

That's neat, but I see two problems with it:

1) Gaming peripherals (in this case, special glasses) have always existed to *enhance* the experience, and this won't work too well if it does nothing but limit it. Basically, the game needs to be structured in such a way where it's not feasible to play if you're not wearing glasses at all.

2) I've played with anaglyphs before, and the red filter is much more potent than the blue one. This means the player with the red glasses will probably have the other player's stuff completely filtered out, but the player with the blue glasses will be able to faintly see the stuff he's not supposed to. This is what causes the "ghost effect" in games that use 3d glasses, and it's why this effect doesn't work at all for a few friends of mine.

Good luck, though. If done correctly, it could definitely be neat. Also consider a variation where it's just one player wearing a regular set of 3d shades, but you want to look through just one eye or the other depending on the situation.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »

I find this idea to be very interesting, so, to show people that it can be done (and that no black background is needed, etc.) I made the following example.

You can see that they are two distinct images. The rightmost picture is what it looks like when both are combined.

And here is what they look like when filtered by red or cyan, respectively. This replicates perfect conditions, of course (colors exactly opposite in the RGB spectrum, 'lenses' that match the color of the picture identically), but it illustrates the basic point that two different, monochrome images can be filtered out by this method. There will be some ghosting for both players, most likely, but if there is no secret information being displayed, then I see it as a minor problem.

What I'm most concerned about, though, are the glasses. I'm afraid that the game might not make it to the event, given that it will require two extra sets of glasses, in addition to the red/cyan ones, for people to see the game.

increpare
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 04:51:21 AM »

"What I'm most concerned about, though, are the glasses. I'm afraid that the game might not make it to the event, given that it will require two extra sets of glasses, in addition to the red/cyan ones, for people to see the game."
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well.  That said, it would be possible to improv them without too much trouble (chopping two normal pairs appart). 

I think the idea of the overall screen still being interpretable to people without glasses adds a certain amount of spectator potential (for instance, if they're playing off the same screen, where they can't see each other, but everyone not playing can see the whole game state).
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »

Haha, awesome idea. And then make it also a multiplayer over TCP where when you play you don't need glasses, but the overall lens filter is still applied, making it the same as if you were wearing glasses. Then have spectators log in to watch - that way at a convention you could have it over LAN and hook in a huge projector to spectate. Sounds epic.

hi
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 11:31:16 PM »

I'm seriously considering trying to make this game for Gamma 3D. It seems like most of the code I would need is already available in GM7's functions. I'm just not sure exactly what type of game to do. My best ideas so far are:
- a realtime version of Battleships
- some kind of sidescrolling stealth game where you have to steal stuff from your opponent or his base... something like multiplayer Phantom Hourglass
- a co-operative game of some kind where the players must work together and communicate clearly to win
If there is a pixel artist around who wants to help, knowing that you'll probably be working in monochrome, then PM me.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 12:37:13 AM »

Two players, one keyboard? Is this more of your internet filth?

Formerly "I Like Cake."
South
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 07:11:56 AM »

You could also consider a 2 player maze game. Two different mazes, one blue and one red, with each a player in it. The one who finds the end first wins.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 07:58:15 AM »

Here's another idea. An avoidance game with 2 realities overlapping where you've got red and cyan enemies and a red and cyan player icon. Basically you're playing 2 rounds at once. To complicate matters some enemies exist in both planes and some enemies chase the wrong player (Tho they won't ever hurt that player, it's just to throw you off).

The question is would the brain eventually split the two filtered images so that the red eye and cyan eye begin to operate independently of each other in your brain? It's almost a brain study thing.

(It could just as easily be like lemans or Spy hunter or harder like geometry wars without the shooting.)

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 03:19:57 AM »

I HAVE LOST MY THREE-DEE GLASSES. Oh dear. I'm sure they're hiding around here somewhere.

This sounds like a pretty boss concept - I can see it working if one can get the colours right. And the avoidance game would be a damned fine mindblower. Like Uberschizoid and Excellent Bifurication.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 01:27:38 AM »

Well, I've kind of hit a bump already. With my glasses at least, it's pretty much impossible to calibrate the colours so that they don't show up at all. Well, the red works fine, but the cyan always leaves some amount of ghosting, which makes me think that the problem is with my monitor, and for some reason it doesn't actually draw pure cyan.
I tried putting in some extremely crude noise (airbrush tool :D ) but that didn't really work because it was still easy to pick out lines within the random noise, and this was heavy noise that messed with the other player's view a fair bit as well.
But like I said, this was some crude-ass noise. Is there anyone who knows about noise that can give me a bit of advice? Another problem I see is that once the game is in motion (right now I'm just using text to test it) then the noise will be even less effective. If the noise moves, then it will make the non-moving elements obvious, but if it stays still, it will make the moving elements more obvious!

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 08:37:34 AM »

This is absolutely fabulous, if I had the time I would totally make a game myself.

People seem to have problems with cyan ghosting but with my "Starship Titanic"-goggles and using agj's example I get no cyan ghosting at all (but lots of red). Potent cyan filtering is possible, you just need the right hardware!

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
increpare
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 08:46:30 AM »

Computer monitors are actually pretty notorious for their inability to produce a decent approximation of cyan.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 09:08:30 AM »

where can a man pick up a pair of goggles for this?

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 09:20:30 AM »

Computer monitors are actually pretty notorious for their inability to produce a decent approximation of cyan.

I've just tried my Starship-goggles with three different screens: two laptops and one big standalone LCD. I got no cyan ghosting on any of them but some red ghosting on all of them (though it was hardly noticeable on the big LCD).

I think those Starship Titanic folks actually manage to make a filter that possibly isn't proper cyan but actually filters the exact frequencies that my screens emit. Too bad about the red filter in them, though.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 04:54:28 PM »

I think those Starship Titanic folks actually manage to make a filter that possibly isn't proper cyan but actually filters the exact frequencies that my screens emit. Too bad about the red filter in them, though.

Wait, Starship Titanic had 3D?

[hits eBay]

Follow me on twitter
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2008, 05:58:42 AM »

Wait, Starship Titanic had 3D?

[hits eBay]

Yup! I have no idea how much though, I haven't had the time to play it yet. I bought it after completing the Hitchhiker game, a few years ago, but I'm still waiting for the right time to dive into it.

Raisins
Level 0

Why hello there I didn't see you come in

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 03:39:21 PM »

After reading the first post I felt inspired and whipped this up really fast. Just 2 blocks, WASD and arrows to move them. F4 for full screen.
If you try it please tell me if the colors blend correctly, the green should mask out your color and make you bright to the other player. the gray and black are just there for testing.
http://plaidbuttonup.com/temp/color.exe

I make websites on the internet. Some times I do other things.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2008, 01:48:01 PM »

After reading the first post I felt inspired and whipped this up really fast. Just 2 blocks, WASD and arrows to move them. F4 for full screen.
If you try it please tell me if the colors blend correctly, the green should mask out your color and make you bright to the other player. the gray and black are just there for testing.
http://plaidbuttonup.com/temp/color.exe
Wow, way to illustrate the point. Works great for me.

Follow me on twitter
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic