Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:40:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)DAZ 3D? Free?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DAZ 3D? Free?  (Read 1494 times)
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:34:45 AM »

If you've heard of this DAZ 3D modeling suite, then I'm sure you prolly didn't know it's free. Free as in free beer, freedom, and anything else that's free.

http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d/free-3d-software-overview?home_5_btn=start

This is over $800 USD of software for free. It's a limited offer, I'm sure, but get it while it's hot!
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:01:29 AM »

This sounds like a pretty cool deal, but has anybody used this software before?
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 11:14:29 AM »

Oh, man! Does that ever take me back. I remember using Bryce 3D in college. Granted, that was a much earlier version.

On the down side, these programs aren't really designed to be full-on custom solutions for game creation. This suite of software is targeted much more towards creating static compositions for final 2D renderings. DAZ 3D is essentially the latest version of Poser 3D. Neither program is designed for making models from the ground up. It looks like Hexagon 2.5 covers custom model creation.

Still, it's pretty sweet that this software is being offered for free. If you're just looking to get some static art quickly, they are fairly easy-to-use and learn, and deliver solid results. DAZ is great for cooking up human characters and costumes quickly, while Bryce is fantastic for making environments to display them in. Bryce was the tool used in constructing the 3D renderings in the original Myst.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:39:13 AM »

This sounds like a pretty cool deal, but has anybody used this software before?

I've used Bryce and Studio in the past, both have their places, no matter how niche, there are ways both can be slotted into your pipeline.  The pro versions both support COLLADA, so fitting it in is pretty easy.  It makes sense to grab them for that reason alone.  Studio can be pretty handy if you suck at rigging like I do, although getting your stuff in will be a bit of a headache and the documentation is lacking.

Hexagon I was new to, so I decided to check it out.  I put together this review and frankly, it aint pretty.  The app has so much potential, but it's all pissed away.  I simply can't think of a reason to use it over the freely available Wings/Blender options, to say nothing of commercial products out there.  It's a shame too, as below the surface, it's quite powerful/capable, but the UI and polish is... lacking.  As is the documentation, which is a massive no no.

Too bad too, as a new 3D modeller is just what the world needs.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »

I'd definitely take advantage if there were a way to get them without installing them. I don't really have the space right now.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »

It emails you a serial code, so you should be able to do that.  The interface makes it look like you have a set time period to download, but it apparently is resetable, so you can download any time you want.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic