Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:31:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingI hate bullet hell shooters, so I'm making this instead
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: I hate bullet hell shooters, so I'm making this instead  (Read 32160 times)
toad
Level 0

Never finished a game

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »

waiting for a new build
nachobeard
Level 0

a beard made of nachos

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2012, 03:47:43 AM »

looking good!
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2012, 04:01:08 AM »

In Unity I found a thing called "audio.pitch", and I was going for more of a bassy underwater sound when you paused, but in testing it I noticed that "pitch" is their word for "speed".

That's not an Unity quirk, that's just how sound works. Longer waveforms produce lower frequencies.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2012, 04:11:09 AM »

I know, but you can change the pitch on something without slowing it down.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2012, 08:43:28 AM »

For the hand-drawn FX, are you outputting them to a texture sheet and using an animated texture in Unity?
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2012, 08:47:59 AM »

Changing pitch w/o affecting time is a very hard problem usually with different solutions for different scenarios, unfortunately.

Anyway... just wanted to say... again... this is awesome.
Going from 2d to 3d was almost perfectly smooth too. Had to replay it a couple times just to catch it.

Now to figure out how to watch threads...
[edit] Okay that's how

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2012, 09:07:37 AM »

For the hand-drawn FX, are you outputting them to a texture sheet and using an animated texture in Unity?

Yep.
Changing pitch w/o affecting time is a very hard problem usually with different solutions for different scenarios, unfortunately.

Anyway... just wanted to say... again... this is awesome.
Going from 2d to 3d was almost perfectly smooth too. Had to replay it a couple times just to catch it.

Now to figure out how to watch threads...
[edit] Okay that's how

When I get actual music (this is temporary music from an older game) I wanna split the track into different instruments and do cool stuff with that instead. Maybe have certain parts of it only audible while you're fighting or something, like how Portal 2 does it when you're bouncing. I dunno.

Also thanks, I SUPER appreciate people actually saying this looks good.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2012, 10:03:55 AM »

Are you using any particular plug-in for 2d stuff/animated textures?
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2012, 10:30:24 AM »

No, there's a script on the Unity script wiki that flicks a sprite sheet along at your desired framerate.
I learnt some stuff from that and wrote my own, cos it kept doing things wrong and I couldn't really understand it.

Oh also I animate 2D stuff in Flash. This is my first not-Flash game.

I'm concepting the first boss now. This boss MUST:
  • Stop you from getting in close and slashing him somehow, just to force you to use a new tactic
  • Have big hands, because he uses them to make a cool entrance.
  • Be covered in triangles and be blue/green, to show that he's part of the earth-faction.
  • Have some kind of big weak point that you can go up and slash to death once his defences are down, to show off that the game is a shoot-em-up and a beat-em-up.
  • Spawn smaller enemies for you to throw at him, cos throwing is cool, and this might be a good opportunity to teach people how to throw.

guh!! If I was paying myself I would fire me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:15:17 PM by I_smell » Logged
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »

waiting for a new build

ALRIGHT YA GOT ME!!!

File > Download

NEW PLAYABLE BUILD

Is the framerate fine? It drops about halfway through for me, but I don't have a gaming PC. I can't play basically anything on Steam higher than 7fps.

Comment on the game, please. The only feedback I've got so far is a tonne o shit about anti-aliasing.

The controls are left click right click and middle click. Here it is in video form if you're apathetic:
Also, TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY YAAAYYYY!
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2012, 06:23:29 PM »

Just had a go at it, with the latest build.

It's fun. Plays well. It's pretty easy at the moment, I never really got hit, but I assume you know that. A bit of innovation which is great.

Framerate is fine for me, even with graphics on max, except when I launch those homing missiles. If I launch more than two or three at once it lags for a moment, and lags longer the more there are. My machine is an i7 with a Radeon 5850.

A few comments:
- There's too much screen shake. You get used to it - I'm sure you've got used to it - but it's too much.
- The big hammer is awesome but it's kinda weird how you have to click again to respawn it?
- The homing missile gun is ripe for abuse. Any lull in the game lets you hold down the button for ages to queue up a million of them (is there a limit currently? I wasn't sure). I'd say either make a limit of like 8 missiles, or make sure there aren't any big lulls in the game. It's FUN to queue up a million homing missiles though, so I'm not sure.
whale
Level 0

Decoy Octorok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2012, 07:43:49 PM »

Just played a bit. Enjoyed it, though I'm not sure if I was ever hit. I don't think I was but honestly I don't know. I haven't read this whole thread but I will say that the section where the player is moving away from the camera is extremely hard to aim, though I suppose there wasn't much need to either.

I personally didn't have a problem with the screen shaking.

I did notice that when there would be a mob of melee enemies swarming me, there was no obvious downside to just right clicking obnoxiously till they all died but I assume this has something to do with how yo uhave damage set (or not set) in this build.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2012, 08:18:11 PM »

guh!! If I was paying myself I would fire me.

Why, I like this. I like how his center expands into new forms. I get the impression that his body has a mind of its own, like he has to negotiate with it. Inner chuckle.
ra51
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2012, 05:05:29 AM »

I actually thought it was quite good. A bit too much on the screen shaking though. And when got really close to the enemies, i almost felt that i should be able to sort of throw them (kinda like you do in those side-scrolling fighting games).
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2012, 01:27:22 PM »

If you go up to an enemy and hold right-click, you actually CAN THROW THEM! :O

Here's a POIGNANT, TOUCHING BREAKDOWN of my sick 2D sprite animation I did today.

And here's that sprite sheet!
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2012, 05:31:01 PM »

I just put 360 gamepad controls in this game, and getting the speed right was really hard.
Sometimes you wanna chop up enemies that are grouped close together, but sometimes you wanna quickly whip out the way of an enemy's attack.
So like-- No matter what speeds I put in, it was always wrong in some way... Which is why I want people to play it with a mouse.

So I was experimenting with some stuff, and Unity apparantly groups the Left and Right Triggers in as one axis. LT is -1 to 0, and RT is 0 to 1.
So I just went with it, and now I'm at a point where you can fly around the screen fairly fast, and if you hold LT you move slowly- which I guess is good because y'know, iron sights.
If you hold RT, he moves really fast, so if you're facing an enemy that you need to dodge a lot, I guess you'd hold that? It's good for panicky dodging, but it's too fast to actually use to move somewhere you wanna be.

It feels kind of technical.

EDIT OH OH OH!!!! I SHOULD HAVE RT BE SHOOT, RB BE SLASH AND RIGHT STICK PERFORM A DODGE! Dduhhhhhh. What am I, an idiot?

Oh and I'm updating the graphics, cos people who played it reminded me that they look stupid.
Old:

Less old:

(but still like a week old)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:44:36 PM by I_smell » Logged
maetheec
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2012, 10:56:09 PM »

Love your previous work for No time to explain, and this one is looking better and better.
My feedback is mostly similar to what other people here said before me, so I just like to add one suggestion (I didn't really read the whole thread, so sorry if someone already mentioned this)

I kept having the urge to shoot backwards when I'm fighting the robots. May be because they try to surround you, so there are always at least one of them behind me, and forces me to move towards the left-side of the screen.
If there's a button to turn my guy around so that he can shoot in the opposite direction. I think that'll be great.
nachobeard
Level 0

a beard made of nachos

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »

hey man

I was working on my own thing when it suddenly hit me where I got that enemy idea from. it's actually the same as in your game! I'd say it's a pretty minor thing but I don't like being a dick so I thought I should ask if it's cool by you if I keep it as it is.

I made a quick video capture so you can see for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJg2ZVHbd5M&feature=youtu.be

I'm not sure if you can tell from that single video but the game is actually completely different from yours, so I hope it's ok? let me know if it's not ok and I´ll do my best to change it into something different.

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2012, 10:22:47 AM »

lol yep that's the same guy!

Whatever, half my stuff's stolen anyway.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2012, 11:15:53 AM »

Got any more FX sprite sheets you can share? I'll be getting to that stage of Dungeon Hearts soon and I don't have much experience making hand-drawn FX so I could use the reference.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic