Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 03:02:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingI hate bullet hell shooters, so I'm making this instead
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Author Topic: I hate bullet hell shooters, so I'm making this instead  (Read 32287 times)
nachobeard
Level 0

a beard made of nachos

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2012, 12:28:59 PM »

lol yep that's the same guy!

Whatever, half my stuff's stolen anyway.

ok thanks!
I try not to nick stuff, but more often than not someone else has already come up with it first so...
at least I try to ask for permission whenever possible :/
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »

Got any more FX sprite sheets you can share? I'll be getting to that stage of Dungeon Hearts soon and I don't have much experience making hand-drawn FX so I could use the reference.

Well once you know how to animate (by which I mean drawing a picture over itself 30 times) then it's just a matter of practice.

. I kind do the smoke on one layer, which bubbles out and gets smaller, then I do the spark on another layer, which splashes outward quickly and then corrupts itself and disperses.

Speaking of animation, I haven't added to the game for a while cos I've bin doing company work, which is this.

I'm sketching out the game's intro cartoon now, which I've had in my head for months, so this should be fun to show.
ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2012, 03:24:40 AM »

CAn you put up some screenshots.  Ii might play it if there where some.

Delver is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                 Smiley
Chris Pavia
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »

Nice, there's some good reference. I don't suppose you would be available for some freelance work in the future, would you? Still trying to decide if I want to fumble my way through it or farm it out (some/all the FX work that is).
Azakeyz
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2012, 03:45:01 PM »

I will love you forever and ever
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2012, 08:55:21 AM »

CAn you put up some screenshots.  Ii might play it if there where some.

, and the last playable build is on the page before this one.

Nice, there's some good reference. I don't suppose you would be available for some freelance work in the future, would you? Still trying to decide if I want to fumble my way through it or farm it out (some/all the FX work that is).

I'm always available for freelance work, I did some work for this site today. PM me with a price and outline if you ever want me to draw some smoke or lightning, explosions or whatever.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »

Cool, once I get to the point that I have a near-final asset list together I'll send something your way.
SpaceFish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »

Hey the game looks awesome so i messed with your concept art ^^
I haven't read much on this post so idk if you allredy have the character done but i hope this is inspirational nonetheless Smiley
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:17:20 PM by SpaceFish » Logged
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2012, 06:24:55 AM »

Thanks SpaceFish, your legs are better than mine.

I just prototyped a boomerang weapon and I'm keeping it in. I originally thought of a boomerang as something that you'd throw out and it'd automatically arc back towards you- and I thought that's dumb and useless, so I didn't make it.
BUT! Then I thought of a boomerang that you'd throw out, and have to TRY n catch it. And if you catch it then it doubles in attack damage. You can keep trying to catch it n it'd keep powering up every time. It also gets harder to catch in a way that I won't bother describing, it's pretty subtle.
So that's a fun weapon. It's like a gun with a minigame in it.

HERE'S THE INTRO!

It's a first draft, so it'll change.
The first level is that these two are controlling the suit remotely for a test-run to prove that it's "finished", but then get ambushed and have to fight a tonne o robots all of a sudden. When they bring the suit back to the lab, they HOPE nobody notices that it's not finished at all and they just put a bear in it.
And the joke is that nobody ever notices, for the whole length of the game.
It's kinda hard going from No Time To Explain, which had an intro of 10 seconds, to this. I really wanna take parts out and cut it down, but I also wanna pack more jokes into everything. If I make it too short, will it make sense what's happening? Does it make sense now? This is gonna be a difficult part.

Oh and I felt like making a game that communicates my darkest fears too, but I've bin really hesitant to make it for like a year now.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:51:57 AM by I_smell » Logged
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »

FUN FACT: To navigate back to this thread, I type "hate" in my browser, then press Down and Enter.

Time to roll into other levels yet or what? The intro to this level (and every level henceforth) is new, and so it looks terrible. The codec conversations also look bad because I don't have Unity Pro yet and can't import full animations. Everything else is done though right?
Done enough to move forward? I can't tell.

Look like a game yet, or still look like crap?
This video MAY be sped up slightly, I recorded it a different way.
Y'know I could really do with a comment on that intro by the way.

OH!! And- I wrote another thing about game design, incase any of you read those.
I know none of you do.
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2012, 05:39:36 AM »

Honestly, having not tried any builds myself yet, when I started watching this video it's hard to tell if it will be fun or not. This is good though - some games you can tell aren't fun at all. I know I will have to play this to find it out.

By the end of the video, however, I must say I want to try this out so much more - yet again - like every time I watch one of the videos for this game haha.

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2012, 09:22:24 AM »

I was just thinking ... any intentions on supporting 2 players?

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2012, 09:26:22 AM »

I was just thinking ... any intentions on supporting 2 players?

From the design doc:

As for just playing the regular game with two players onscreen: That'd be weird for a tonne o reasons and wouldn't make things any more fun.

Side-note:

. The visual design philosiphy of these guys is that they're made out of pointy triangles, and the shield is counter to that.
It's hard to make that look good though. It definately has some personality, but I dunno... I should come back to it later.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:13:00 PM by I_smell » Logged
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2012, 02:03:51 PM »

Level 2 is underway!

It's not really that awesome right now, it's really slow and messy. It's full of enemies who are fun to grab and throw, and some enemies have been updated so that they're more fun. I'm not sure if this protection PACEbreaker! will work out or not.

Notch just announced the next MineCon, and I went to the last one showing No Time To Explain Season 2. Maybe at this one (in November) I can go with a playable demo of this? And have the first real trailer for it? That'd take some work, as I'd have to get music and voice people nailed down now.

I dunno! Kind of a weird update! The next level is orange, and is taking a lot less time than the first level.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2012, 09:50:27 AM »

Level 2 is good now, a lot of it's done.
Since this level is all about Grabbing, throwing, and protecting; I figured I'd make a boss that sticks with that.

So this was the first sketch, and then there were like 8 other scenes like this that outline similar things.

And once I was happy with this, I started designing an actual boss. I figured it should run along the floor, because the transition from air to ground in Level 2 is pretty fun, and the last boss was just floating in mid-air. It needs to look solid and armored, because you can't damage it without throwing it's rockets back, and it needs to be a triangular blue-green, beach-coloured robot because it's part of Earth faction.

I guess... it could be this running gorrila prison? When it wants to jump up and flamethrower you, it could leap into a somersalt and whip a billowing inferno across the screen through it's flamethrower on the front, then complete it's flip and heavily land back down into it's running animation.
I THINK that's what I'm doing, but it feels kinda weird.
Oh and I called it a prison because this is happening later:

It's not DEFINATELY gonna be a pterrodactyl or anything.

I just wrote about some other stuff that informs what things look like in this game, but it was so hilariously dumb put into writing that I deleted it.

OH also I made a new shader that has a cracking broken-ness creeping in slowly from around the edge of the object, so I'll be using that here to make this boss break up over time:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:03:24 AM by I_smell » Logged
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2012, 01:02:58 PM »

This is cool and funny  Hand Thumbs Up Left

mad progress from you dawg  Hand Clap

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2012, 03:54:51 AM »

I don't even know where to start on how exciting it was seeing this come together on MY OWN VERY SCREEN!!!!
Cos I've always been half-good at art and we had to reach out n find someone to make some good looking stuff for the last game. I was super excited about that, cos I finally got some pro quality art for one o my doofy slapdash games.
So slowly making progress with this Photoshop stuff I've bin doin recently has been awesome.

Oh and also I guess I should just record this:

Long story short, 3D animation is difficult and I'm rusty at it. This has been improved in terms of modelling and animation since I recorded it.
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »

this game looks freaking amazing Smiley
cool videos and stuff, keep up the good work!

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »

Hmm, I totally missed this somehow.

I'm not a crazy shoot'em up fan, but I did love UN Squadron/Area 88 back in the day, and haven't been enthused that the genre seemed to go to Bullet Hell and never came back. So this is something that looks interesting Smiley

I look forward to seeing where you take this!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »

I just exported it to the Unity web player and what the fuck it runs perfectly... I remember it running terrible a few months ago...

Maybe that was exporting to Flash player?

...Anyway, playing it at perfect framerate in a web browser was so exciting, cos now when it's out I can put the first couple levels on Newgrounds for free (which will probably be testing Unity games by then)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic