Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411877 Posts in 69425 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 06, 2024, 03:14:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl - Dwarf from Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl - Dwarf from Dwarf Fortress  (Read 106050 times)
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2008, 12:43:50 PM »

I don't get it! Oh, I see! Rocks are heavy and so is the dwarf when he's in his stance. That's pretty clever!

I haven't seen any pink rocks before, though. Huh?
godsavant
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2008, 01:20:47 PM »

Yeah. Like a ton of bricks...exactly. Tired
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2008, 11:27:08 PM »

Well, actually, the way I envisioned it was not at all like Kirby's rock technique, since the Dwarf can still perform any attacks immediately while in his Stance, and also I didn't think he would actually deal damage if he dropped on people. The dropping is just to escape from air combos. Although it seems like other people expect that it will do damage, so... discuss?

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2008, 11:33:57 PM »

Well, actually, the way I envisioned it was not at all like Kirby's rock technique, since the Dwarf can still perform any attacks immediately while in his Stance, and also I didn't think he would actually deal damage if he dropped on people. The dropping is just to escape from air combos. Although it seems like other people expect that it will do damage, so... discuss?
It should do damage, and a lot, but there should be a breif moment of immobility when hitting the ground,where he's vulnerable.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 20, 2008, 12:14:56 AM »

But that just turns it into a generic butt-drop move. I thought the whole point would be that it was a defensive/counter attack. And if it has any windup or wind-down, then that will make it difficult/impossible to use as a defense.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 20, 2008, 02:31:48 AM »

I was thinking the difference from Kirby's rock move would be that he can still be damaged while he's in his stance.

Also, the way this discussion is going makes me feel that the Stance will be more like the metal power up in SSB. It'll just briefly make Dwarf far heavier and harder to knock around.
crakkie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 20, 2008, 09:00:01 AM »

The exploding cat seems a little too abstract for what it is representing. Does it explode into 50 more cats?

Maybe the dwarf could release a cat (from the beard, of course), which walks briskly across the stage. If the cat is accidently attacked by another player (or maybe just stepped on) the dwarf becomes enraged, briefly increasing his damage and speed (and finding a way to use the red-faced dwarf sprite).
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: October 20, 2008, 10:25:06 AM »

I've got it:
just make the cat's be an item that appear every once in a while (optionally, of course.) They'd walk around, be picked up, thrown, and upon contact after being thrown scratch the hell out of whatever they land on. Or explode. Or whatever. It doesn't have to be integral to the dwarf's moveset, though.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 20, 2008, 12:16:44 PM »

Wait, how about this:

When a cat hits an enemy, four more cats appear and they all grab onto the enemy. The enemy is slowed down significantly, until he/she "shakes off" the cats by mashing a button. The cats fall off one by one, letting the enemy move more quickly with each one shaken off, until they're all gone.
medieval
« Reply #189 on: October 20, 2008, 01:59:05 PM »

Seems good except for the button mashing
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 20, 2008, 02:27:31 PM »

Well, I figure there'd be some better way to handle it, I just couldn't think of any off the top of my head.

Maybe facing left and right repeatedly to shake them off?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 20, 2008, 09:40:45 PM »

I thought, judging by what cats apparently do in DF, the cat could be an item that you can throw at your opponent. If it hits, then it becomes their pet and follows them around. If you attack the cat, it will deal damage to the player whose pet it is (emotional damage).

So I'm thinking we'll replace Catsplosion with Wrestling.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 21, 2008, 06:29:33 AM »

Noooo! I really think the cats should be used to slow down enemies. Besides, we don't really totally have to go by the letter, do we? I think we should take liberties where we can.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 21, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »

I think the Cat-Mob would be rather amusing, personally. And in keeping with the spirit of Dwarf Fortress, of course  Smiley.
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: October 22, 2008, 04:19:10 AM »

The cats slowing down sound fine. Maybe they would just walk around the opponent, slowing his FPSs (like in the game), and s/he has to hit them?

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 22, 2008, 11:12:23 PM »

Wait, so are we talking about the cats as an item or cats as an attack? Personally I think they'd work better as an item.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: October 23, 2008, 05:32:05 AM »

In retrospect, that would work better.

Chrissketch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: November 12, 2008, 12:43:34 PM »

This quest for the perfect dwarf is reaching high levels of awesomeness.
You should keep all the designs to create supporting characters, maybe a special power that would unleash an army of dwarves or sthg.

The Dwarf throws a perfectly good pair of pants that sticks to another character or the ground. Suddenly, several dorfs rush in from off screen to try to grab them, crushing anyone unlucky enough to be standing there.

I suggest tinting the dwarf sprites' hues slightly, a la Three Panel Soul.

(a cabinet as a weapon would be nice too.  Tongue)
Boksi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2008, 01:28:08 PM »

Hi peeps. I'm a regular from the Bay12Games forums and my noble visage was directed towards this. Just signed up to provide my take on this:

Catsplosions are maligned for their slowing down FPS, so I think they would work best as an item that slows the character down as previously suggested.

Dwarves can dodge attacks, moving into a different square when they do. They do not consider what sort of terrain it'll get them into, though, so they'll happily dodge off cliffs. Take this as you will.

Regarding the immovable stance, the ultimate defense in DF is a shield. You can mod in a creature that moves every single frame and have it attack a legendary shield user, and the shield user will block every single blow until he collapses from exhaustion. Consider that a normal dwarf will move about once every few hundred frames, less if burdened. I think someone proved mathematically that a dwarf could move at supersonic speeds using a shield. Basically, shields break the laws of physics, and of course you can't usually see whether someone is wielding a shield or not, at least until it's blocked.

Projectiles in DF are, in fact, massively overpowered. Let me demonstrate:
The flying -Iron bolt- strikes You in the upper body!
It is pierced!
Your heart has been pierced!
Your right lung has been pierced!
Your left lung has been badly pierced!
Your liver has been pierced through completely!
You have been struck down!
Simulating this would be very unbalancing, but a crossbow would be a very dwarven thing to use. Maybe you could limit it's accuracy and ammunition, and if used without ammunition it'd be a melee attack?

Magma is also very dwarven, and so are pointless things done to show just how awesome you are. Screw convection, the laws of physics and common sense, I'm going to build a giant upside-down pyramid filled to the brim with lava, and then dump it on any would-be invaders! This would be a must-have feature of a dwarven level, as well as drawbridges, traps and random junk lying about. Dwarven fortresses tend to go for very elaborate traps and do things in a pointlessly difficult way. It should be chock-full of hazards. Also, random generation would be fun.

Decorating random things with spikes is dwarven, too.

Oh, and the carp. Can't forget the carp. The bane of dwarves everywhere, they drag hundreds to their doom every year!
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Carp
Most dwarves can't swim very well, and carp have a massive [SIZE:] tag advantage.

What else? Hmmm, there's the nobles, their unsatiable demands and their... propensity for accidents. There's this:
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Enraged

And then, I haven't lurked enough to know the stance on this, but if there's some sort of victory animation, it'd have to be this:
Urist Duradlibash, <profession> looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Urist Duradlibash, <profession>, has murdered <name>, <profession>!
Urist Duradlibash, <profession>, has begun a mysterious construction!
Urist Duradlibash, <profession>, has created <artifact>, a <random item>.
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Fey_mood#Fell

That's all I can think of off the top of my hat, but there'll be more to come, I'm sure.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2008, 01:32:43 PM »

I agree that the rush attack would look much cooler as a shield rush.

Maybe cats keep running around an enemy's legs and slow him?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic