Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:58:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCerberus
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Cerberus  (Read 14804 times)
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2012, 06:00:54 PM »

Key info
Name : Cerberus (working title)
Authors : Antoine Gersant (code) | Pierre Guyot (graphics)
Genre : Action RPG
Technologies : HaXe, Bacchus framework(, PHP, XML)

Blablabla
It's been a while since I last had a game project going well ; let's celebrate this with a new devlog !
Last week, I teamed up with my friend Pierre Guyot to make an Action RPG. He's a close friend of mine and seasoned artist so I'm super happy to work with him. It's also the first time I make a game with someone from my timezone and it turns out to be very helpful.

The game is basically an indoor Metroidvania with topdown perspective. We're trying to make it like Castlevania X Secret Of Evermore (Coliseum level) but I am very influenced by Dark Souls all the time against my will.

The story is about a human who is trapped into the labyrinthic world of his gods and tries to go back to the world of men.

Our current goal is to make a prototype featuring the first area of the game. We have decided everything (items, monsters, etc.) that would be there and I am going to get started with level design in a few days.

Eye-candy
Our target resolution is 256*224 (like a Super Nintendo) but Pierre still makes awesome artworks :

All critics (and cheers) are welcome =)
Stay tuned for more !
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:56:20 PM by agersant » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:26:29 PM »

Dark Souls all the time against my will.

godspeed (except i don't believe in such an entity)

Okay, and also them's some pretty cool arts (but does grand art skill translate well to small squares art skill? we will see). I will pass no judgement on the game, however tantalizing your paragraphs may be, until I see things interacting, with my eyes. Ears would also be acceptable.

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »

Yes ! I'm glad to see you managed to start a new project without Adarias (even if his sprites are gorgeous) and I hope you'll be able to finish this one. Good luck !

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:52:31 PM »

Thanks for the kind words =)

Update 1
I've just spent the whole night working on collisions and I am now one hundred percent happy with the result. Here is my SVN commit message which sums it up nicely :

Meanwhile, Pierre has started doodling environments and I cant wait to see them in all their pixel glory. Today's eye-candy are a few item concept arts :

• Tunic
  • Cloth armor
  • Iron bar (starting weapon)
  • Iron Helm
  • Serpent Bracelet
  • PoiseHylde Bracelet
Chris Pavia
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:57:23 PM »

The arts, I'm so jelly!!
cirolve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 08:58:32 PM »

concept art is looking sexy. that is all.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »

Great concept arts so far, interested to see how it all looks once it's pixelled.

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:34:39 PM »

@Franklins Ghost, magicrat & Chris Pavia : I love those concept arts too \o/

Update 2
I did not have much time today so I only did some houskeeping in my framework code and I started coding the game's title screen. No big deal.

Pierre has started working on the main character's sprite. It's looking good but we're not 100% satisfied with it yet. Here's more concept art though : leeches.

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »

Update 3
Today I finished coding the title screen and refactored a bit of engine code.
I also level designed Orthrus Domain which is the game area we want to feature in our prototype. I'll scan the paper on which I did it someday, in the meantime here is the (sloppy) digital version :

Pierre worked on the main character sprite and also made some fantastic concept art. Here's today's eye-candy :
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 06:39:06 PM »

Kiss

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 08:13:27 PM »

Update 4
Today I coded the possiblity to move from one map to another according to what is laid out in the map editor. I worked hard to make the process as automatic as possible, in the end we only have to draw collision rectangles and tell which map they send on (not specifying WHERE they send on the destination map). It works great.

Pierre made more frames for the main character sprite and shitloads of concept art. Only one more and we will have a concept art for everything in the prototype. Today's eye-candy is a lion statue which we plan to use in the menu background :
Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 01:28:01 AM »

Huge Metroidvania fan. Look forward to seeing more.
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »

Update 5
Today wasn't great, been busy with oversleeping, grocery shopping and partying. I still managed to add code so that the player can interact with things by pressing a button near them and also push things around. It still needs some work but the basic thing is here.

I don't know what Pierre has been up to but here is a concept art anyway. This is a minor fire deity which may be encountered in our demo area.
Ashkin
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 07:51:34 PM »

Well hello there, pretty arts.
saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 08:20:16 PM »

That's really pretty, awesome artwork!
But I'm very curious on the game mechanics.

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 07:14:58 PM »

Thanks for the support. I'll probably write something about the game mechanics when the game starts to play like one. I don't want to give false hopes in the meantime.

Update 6

I spent my whole day on the train (to and back from Paris) but I still managed to complete the code I started yesterday regarding pushing things around. I also wrote the first lines of a new particle system for my framework. The previous one was not GPU accelerated and thus super slow, I feel like changing that!

No news from Pierre today but here's a concept art anyway. Evil tentacles want you dead!
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 02:41:34 AM »

Very nice artwork.. Smiley
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 03:08:50 AM »

Great visuals, tracking  Smiley

saint11