Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:58:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioGeneral Music Composition Discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: General Music Composition Discussion  (Read 11221 times)
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:07:57 AM »

Ok so basically I think this sub board has little to no community, mainly because it has almost zero threads except "look at me!"  Those are fine, but I figure some general discussion could be super helpful.

So I play baritone ukulele, and I just got blown away by finding out that all major and minor chords in a chord-scale can be derived by each individual note in the root's chord from each previous note in the root's scale.

E.g. an F chord could be played: F A C F (F major).  The ii chord could be played G Bb D G (G minor), the iii chord could be played A C E A (A minor) IV chord Bb D F Bb (Bb major) etc.

My mind is blown!!

hi
pgil
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:14:10 AM »

There used to be music competitions here. I tried to revive them a couple of years ago, but they kind of died out. I think it would be fun to start doing those again...

Theme ideas:
National anthem to fictional country
Theme song to a fake tv show.
Compose songs entirely with some weird scale
Record only your voice/ other body parts
Music about one of the seven deadly sins.
music for babies.
music made to torture people.

etc... come up with your own!
bauer
Level 1

Codes games & makes music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:20:55 AM »

That sounds like a lot of fun! Music competitions are always nice, would be fun to try to start something like that again. Maybe we could just try to start a thread with a deadline for  the 29th of February and see what we get? Start with something that everyone likes, like a Mega Man remix compo or something. Tongue

Otherwise, I've been playing keyboard and guitar for a few years now. This Christmas I got a flute, a harmonica and an ocarina so I've started to learn some wind instruments now, and it's quite a big difference. The whole thing about having to breath in rhythm with the music is kind of interesting. Smiley Thank god I've got the finger dexterity already from the previous instruments!

raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 08:24:21 AM »

So I play baritone ukulele, and I just got blown away by finding out that all major and minor chords in a chord-scale can be derived by each individual note in the root's chord from each previous note in the root's scale.

E.g. an F chord could be played: F A C F (F major).  The ii chord could be played G Bb D G (G minor), the iii chord could be played A C E A (A minor) IV chord Bb D F Bb (Bb major) etc.

Sorry if I'm a bit slow, but I'm not following "each individual note in the root's chord from each previous note in the root's scale."... do you mean you start with a major triad and then just move each note in the chord "up" one (i.e to the next note in the scale)?
JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »

Yea, Im not following either.

Competitions are indeed always nice.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
pgil
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »

That sounds like a lot of fun! Music competitions are always nice, would be fun to try to start something like that again. Maybe we could just try to start a thread with a deadline for  the 29th of February and see what we get? Start with something that everyone likes, like a Mega Man remix compo or something. Tongue

I was going to write up some rules, based on the old compos... I'm thinking something like:
-1 person chooses theme and hosts
-People have 1 week to compose.
-Host has 1 week to listen to all songs, write some thoughtful critiques if possible, then pick a winner
-Winner gets to host next compo (picking their own theme, but following the same time frames and rules).

...But maybe we could make the competition longer or shorter, and maybe have voting instead of a single judge (I do think it would be cool if the themes are at the whim of a single person, though. I think we'd get more surprising/interesting themes that way). 

I was actually planning on doing something like this a few months ago, but just didn't have time. I even wrote up some rules.  Maybe I can find them.
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 05:24:06 PM »

Compo yes!

I like the idea of winner picks theme. As for time scales, it's difficult to tell which is best - too long and people may lose interest, too short and people will not have enough time to enter. 1 week would be just about right for me but I can't talk for anyone else's timescales.

I wholeheartedly back all of the suggestions thus far and can't wait to get started!

pgil
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »

Cool.. I have an idea for a theme, and I'm going to come up with some examples...  How does Thursday sound?  I mean, for the day it starts, not for the theme.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 10:18:42 PM »

Yeah I wrote that out really confusingly.

Here's an image that explains better:

This works with any chord shape, and on any chord-able instrument.

hi
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 04:41:30 AM »

Thursday is good!
I'm still a little confused but I won't worry myself too much about baritone ukulele chord shapes. OH WAIT - yeah, i think i get it... maybe. I suppose that is quite cool. It's dependent on you thinking about it in scales and then translating that to chords, right?

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »

Yeah, or chords and translating that back into scales.  But more importantly this info can help someone memorize chord layouts just like a scale and help out a ton in improvisation or in transposing in the head without using a capo.

This will also work on guitar.

I feel like if I knew this a half year ago I would be a virtuoso or something now.

hi
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 04:04:34 AM »

Thanks for the tip - i think i'll need to try this in practise. I'm a pretty novice guitar player!
So today is thursday? Anyone got any compo ideas? If no one else has anything, maybe i can offer up the phrase "I'm late!" as the theme.
Equally, i'm open to anyone coming up with something else. Or perhaps we need set out some rules/place for entries/time limit/whatevers before diving in.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 06:18:05 AM »

I know nothing about music... but then I saw this article and it blew my mind.

http://io9.com/5883406/the-physics-behind-your-favorite-science-fiction-theme-songs

Do all you musicians think like this?

(Figured this thread made sense to post something like this.)

PowRTocH
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 06:31:59 AM »

I'd participate in a compo if I can get my recording stuff to work. Last time I tried to do an activity on another website my ASIO drivers got all garbled for some reason....
Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 06:44:12 AM »

http://io9.com/5883406/the-physics-behind-your-favorite-science-fiction-theme-songs

The best film composers do. If you listen to something like Mike Giacchino's theme for The Incredibles, it's like an amalgamation of every trope he could include: spy-movie blues scale licks, Mission Impossible-style 5/4, heroic perfect 5th as the very first interval of the very first melody of the movie, dissonant triadic horn harmonies, etc. The opening track ("Glory Days") is an overture that exhibits every one of these tropes. It's knowledge of these kinds of mechanics that enable a film composer (and a game composer) to give the audience a reference of the mood the movie's trying to set.

So it's definitely something that, as a composer, I aspire to.

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 01:48:56 PM »

The best film composers do. If you listen to something like Mike Giacchino's theme for The Incredibles, it's like an amalgamation of every trope he could include: spy-movie blues scale licks, Mission Impossible-style 5/4, heroic perfect 5th as the very first interval of the very first melody of the movie, dissonant triadic horn harmonies, etc. The opening track ("Glory Days") is an overture that exhibits every one of these tropes. It's knowledge of these kinds of mechanics that enable a film composer (and a game composer) to give the audience a reference of the mood the movie's trying to set.

So it's definitely something that, as a composer, I aspire to.
Agreed. Making music for film and games takes a lot of reflection and a good hand for common motives/clichés.

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »

So, I heard about how Daniel Miller played some Chuck Berry songs on synth and I thought about doing that for a classical piece. I ordered Gotterdammerung sheet music written for piano and I hope to have something awesome come of that. If that sucks then I'll have to try something else because I really like that idea.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 08:53:07 AM »

Re: The chord movement thing I was talking about earlier, this is what it sounds like jumping around in F key.  (Except at the end when I changed key by accident and was stunned for a moment, but then rolled with it lol)

Not actually embedded, you gotta click lol
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:12:21 AM by J. R. Hill » Logged

hi
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »

Re: The chord movement thing I was talking about earlier, this is what it sounds like jumping around in F key.  (Except at the end when I changed key by accident and was stunned for a moment, but then rolled with it lol)
That's pretty funky. Neat.

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 02:38:18 AM »

Wow. From all art mediums music is the one that is most created through emotion, and experienced through emotion and still you are able to pull one of the most technical threads out of it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic