Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:53:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnder the Ocean - Alpha 2 Out!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Under the Ocean - Alpha 2 Out!  (Read 65365 times)
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:36:52 AM »

My second devlog project on here, lets hope it all gets finished, so this project is going to be the sequel to my Tigsource competition game, called Under the Garden [Which won the AGBIC competition].  

You can find the original game here:  http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=13394.0

Find the new game here: www.underthegarden.com

Latest Video:

Housing / Construction / Power Youtube Vid. >

Under the Ocean

Whats changed Paul?

Well lots of things, its still really early stages, the first thing we wanted to do is a location change with more emphasis on survival (ocean setting, tropical islands, underwater cave networks, etc), a decision to scrap the less popular elements of the game (farming comes to mind) and focus on stuff that could have been done better if the time was there [hunting, food and water, building/crafting].  The technology level will also be lowered to a primitive level, rock implements and such, also removing guns and modern items from the original game.

The biggest change visually is the switch to 3d, I have been thinking a lot about doing some of the elements in 3d and I think while I would want to keep the majority of the game field 2d some bits could really benefit from a 3d perspective.

I guess this devlog is dual purpose as the first game has already been completed, it would be great to hear what other people think could make it a better game, feel free to post below!

Who is working on it?  How long will it take?

Mike Reitzenstein and Myself (Paul Greasley) will be making it.  We are hoping to have a first test version in 2 months, and depending on if people are interested we will continue to develop it, if not we will stop and do something else.  We both have work outside of this so its more a project we will do for fun unless people really want some more out of it.  Updates should come every few days I imagine, this wont see updates as frequently as my other project at the moment.

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up at [email protected] , the game will be available here www.underthegarden.com once its done, cheers guys.

Old stuff/Original Post:

So onto some work!  Today Mike has been blocking out the basic platforming controls in Unity, I have blocked out the main character in 3d, and started animating him, hes about 900 polygons and 1x512 currently, trying to keep the poly budgets down so I can spend it all on shitloads of trees  Beer!

the old.... anddd new  
Very work in progress, expect more updates on him tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:03:56 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 04:19:00 AM »

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »

Grin

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Ashkin
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:54:11 AM »

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »

I hope eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee is good, please let it be good.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:30:20 AM »

Just had a "quick play" (if an hour is quick) of Under the Garden and have to say that I loved it, such an awesome game  Kiss Although it's one of those games that it's too easy to play and suddenly realise that you've been playing for longer then you intended.

Really looking forward to this sequel. Keen to see what you do with it.

Also have to say that I'm really impressed at how fast you seem to work through your games.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:25:09 PM »

Thanks Franklins, I promise I wont let updates slip on Commando Bros, would be pretty fail if I did.  Ill release some details of what we are planning once its a little more solid, we are kinda starting out pretty ambitious, wait till reality and paying rent hits us in the face.

So I just concepted these up, this is what ill be modelling up first half of today, some of the extras on the top of the blocks may or may not be there as we will probably do that procedurally in code. They have the same basic structure of a UTG1 block, sort of texture on top and fade to black (which then fades to a generic black block), if it ain't broke don't fix it.

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 02:14:46 PM »

Well I'm interested. I remember Under the Garden being brutal and unforgiving, but I may have played it wrong. It required a lot of patience and understanding of the environment. Taking out farming is a weird move for a long term survival game though, it was a challenge but I liked it.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:11:12 PM »

Well I'm interested. I remember Under the Garden being brutal and unforgiving, but I may have played it wrong. It required a lot of patience and understanding of the environment. Taking out farming is a weird move for a long term survival game though, it was a challenge but I liked it.

Actually, if anything, we are planning to ramp up the challenge so it should be quite a struggle, I guess the biggest difference between UTG and UTO is that UTO will have a little bit more intelligent design to the challenges, you fall down a well, you wont get a random injury, you'll be getting a injury that fits, and have to carry it through the rest of the game, all injuries will be cureable with the right activities also, unlike the original which relied on health potion type cures.  Farming is cool and we will be adding harvesting of some sort in future versions, but the goal for this first build is better and more focused UTG, that is unless we setup a kickstarter or something and have to commit to a bigger project, then we can pretty much guarantee all the features from UTG revised.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »

AWESOME
 Hand Point Left Cool Hand Money Right

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 07:40:29 PM »

Loved the style and alone-ness(?) of Under The Garden. And the slow exploration that rewards caution and careful consumption of time over the usual exploration by bull-headedness.

Can't wait.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
ink.inc
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 07:48:34 PM »

The original Under the Garden stands as one of my favorite indie games. I dunno, something about it just struck a chord with me. The colors? I dunno.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:09:42 PM »

The original Under the Garden stands as one of my favorite indie games. I dunno, something about it just struck a chord with me. The colors? I dunno.

Pretty flattered man, glad you liked the first, Im deliberately holding a little bit of info away from the post until its confirmed 100 percent (till its prototyped basically), but we are going to try a few different gameplay mechanics away from the first, mostly to upgrade the rather broken building mechanics, but Ill drop a video here once its all prototyped, but aside from that we wont be messing with the feel of the original too much.

Shit son. Colour me excited.

Edit: Hey Paul/farmergnome, do you have a twitter?

http://twitter.com/bigblockgames/ its like a joint twitter between Mike and Myself, best way to contact me if you need to is [email protected], im on gmail chat pretty much constantly.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 02:02:14 AM »

Tileset progress:

Also I should have posted this earlier, but this is the games mockup, using game models and the tilesets im working on.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:39:25 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 02:14:23 AM »

That's awesome  Smiley Really liked the look of the old game but it's nice that each game/area will have a different feel to emphasis the change in location. Almost like alternate worlds of the same character.

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 05:59:05 AM »

I loved Under the Garden and your mockup is gorgeous, good luck!
CEDE
Level 2

Don't Stress, Live a Cool Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 11:28:19 AM »

portfolio | studio | latest game: shade dogs | twitterpost-it
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 11:35:29 AM »

I do like the new style, but I suspect it being a bit abstract and cartoonish might detract from the dramatic potential of the game.

And I look forward to being royally proven wrong Corny Laugh

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 01:57:42 PM »

Thanks guys, I guess the transition to 3d will be a little challenging matching up a good level of original feel, but also making use of nice 3d features, I do think once we first get a giant storm floating across the island it will go above and beyond the original, I can almost see it now, giant arcs of lightning across the sea, leaves blowing everywhere, It should be cool.  AWESOME CEDE first fanart for the game woot  Grin

Some questions popped up as to the characters floating ability this time around, we will be trying to incorporate a lot of swimming/underwater segments, so your character will be quite nimble in the water this time around.

Up today is sorting out the tiles into something that resembles the mockups, and adding some animation other than a walk for the main character, more to come!

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »

This will be awesome! Grin I wanna play it already!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic