Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:01:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnder the Ocean - Alpha 2 Out!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Under the Ocean - Alpha 2 Out!  (Read 65056 times)
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2012, 10:04:38 AM »

I read the comments about random generation vs. a handmade map in the youtube comments, would it be feasible to have the option to choose between the two for added replayability or would it be a waste of time/resources?

I don't think you understand how game development works.

not really, that's why I asked. I really like the chance to follow the development of an interesting game step by step, but it's not really my field.

Gabriel is right, its quite hard to do both, though I will be putting some thought into this over the next few days (since its been pretty heavily requested) to try and strike a balance between pre-built layouts and procedurally built stuff, no promises.  Also, don't feel bad about not knowing how things work, I appreciate the suggestions  Grin
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:29:32 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

Recs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2012, 11:08:39 AM »

well the next best thing would be some sort of editor/easy way to create/share maps.

I don't know if a mix of prebuilt and dynamic would make much more sense than going fully procedural once you create the basics for the generation.
Ant
« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »

It would be pretty easy if instead of procedurally generated you just added a touch of selective randomisation. For example if you just added a patch of flint in one of three possible locations then it would spice things up a bit since you would have to explore to find resources instead of memorising their locations from a previous playthrough. Apply that to many other resources and it would give a sense of procedural generation without going the whole hog.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: April 01, 2012, 07:08:56 PM »

I had a talk to Mike and we are gonna ship with a map editor and a auto download feature so you guys can mod the crap out of it and make a whole bunch of new playfields/islands, upload them to the UTO server, and everyone will be able to see your uploads every time they start a new game.  The only thing we wont be doing for early release is using a custom editor, we will be Modding the Tiled editor for now, as we don't really have the resources to build a editor from scratch, that being said it is much nicer than the original games editor, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to use.

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »

I'm glad to see how the game is progressing, and the modding seems very promising.  Coffee

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2012, 10:27:49 PM »

I'm glad to see how the game is progressing, and the modding seems very promising.  Coffee

Thanks bro, the whole modding/procedural thing has been a bit of a hot topic last few days, but we are basically doing this on a shoestring budget, so I guess opening it up for modding levels is the cheapest of all the options (basically just cleanup the devtools and release them with the game, throw in a auto-updater), since as I have said before, I think making it procedural will hurt the gameplay on some level, especially done on the cheap.

Hopefully the people who want some sort of procedural/repeat gameplay will see this as some sort of middle ground to work with, if the game turns out to be successful, the first thing I will do with the $ we make is throw the money back into making some kickass custom modding tools.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2012, 01:46:19 AM »

I had a talk to Mike and we are gonna ship with a map editor and a auto download feature so you guys can mod the crap out of it and make a whole bunch of new playfields/islands, upload them to the UTO server, and everyone will be able to see your uploads every time they start a new game.  The only thing we wont be doing for early release is using a custom editor, we will be Modding the Tiled editor for now, as we don't really have the resources to build a editor from scratch, that being said it is much nicer than the original games editor, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to use.

That is just, fucking awesome.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: April 02, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »

Wondering about supporting the game I went to the website and looked at payment options, where I noticed "The Annoying Cockroach Edition - Download the game from The Pirate Bay when it comes out. Let's face it - not much we can do to stop you, is there? Plus you can survive nuclear winter!"

Cheesy 
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2012, 02:33:15 PM »

Wondering about supporting the game I went to the website and looked at payment options, where I noticed "The Annoying Cockroach Edition - Download the game from The Pirate Bay when it comes out. Let's face it - not much we can do to stop you, is there? Plus you can survive nuclear winter!"

Cheesy  

Haha yea, just a bit of fun, Mike decided to take the link down though since apparently some developers had a problem with it or something?  Who knows.  I still say if you want to pirate it when it drops, go for it.

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »

I actually saw this on reddit after I saw it here which makes me feel like a real hipster Tongue it looks great though. The cutting and bridge building look very intuitive. Just out of curiosity, do you plan on leaving the solid ground parts black?
Ocid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »

2 weeks until playable alpha?

EEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2012, 06:53:33 PM »

2 weeks until playable alpha?

EEEEEEEEEEEEE!

That IMO is optimistic, it could be anywhere from 2-4 weeks, depending on how much time we get to spend on the project, that being said, thanks to reddit and a ton of people that pre-ordered today, Im going to take some time off work (again...)  and do this fulltime, WIN.  Also, we should be livestreaming tonight at this stage onwards with any luck, and the rest of the development of the game will be done over it, details will go up tonight.

I actually saw this on reddit after I saw it here which makes me feel like a real hipster Tongue it looks great though. The cutting and bridge building look very intuitive. Just out of curiosity, do you plan on leaving the solid ground parts black?

Yea the solid ground parts will remain black.

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2012, 11:58:10 PM »

will you be putting out the map editor before the games release or is that just a headache you don't need ? Smiley
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2012, 02:09:58 AM »

will you be putting out the map editor before the games release or is that just a headache you don't need ? Smiley

The map editor is publicly available, its called Tiled, its open source, though any map editor that that writes in CSV can edit the levels, if you want to use something else, though initially we will be just including modding instructions for Tiled.  Its fairly simple to build levels with, I will do some quick tutorials over livestream closer to alpha if there is interest.  The game handles most of the small details procedurally (placing grass, rocks, etc), though all of that is also editable.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:15:44 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2012, 03:23:07 AM »

sorry, completely missed that previous post explaining everything I asked Smiley
I would be interested in building my own levels or even recreating the under the garden level
JohnJ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2012, 08:14:18 AM »

Sent an email to your company account [email protected]. Will you receive it there?
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2012, 09:14:34 AM »

Sent an email to your company account [email protected]. Will you receive it there?

I just checked my BBG email and couldn't find anything, hit me up on [email protected], sometimes the BBG one is a bit faulty.

sorry, completely missed that previous post explaining everything I asked Smiley
I would be interested in building my own levels or even recreating the under the garden level

When alpha drops ill be spending a solid week building levels and stuff on livestream, so everyone can build stuff on the livestream if keen, its fairly easy to learn.  We are deciding some cool early prizes to get the ball rolling as far as map creation also, more on that soon.

Recs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2012, 09:47:06 AM »

if it's not too complicated/expensive would it be possible to have an in-game level/map browser/downloader like those on stealth bastard or voxatron, to download user created levels in a safer, easier way?
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2012, 09:49:58 AM »

if it's not too complicated/expensive would it be possible to have an in-game level/map browser/downloader like those on stealth bastard or voxatron, to download user created levels in a safer, easier way?

Thats the plan eventually, but not for a long time, maybe beta/final release at best. It will be considerable work todo as a in game editor.  We will have a map browser/downloader for alpha in some form though.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2012, 01:59:34 AM »

New video, but its not what you expect!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic