Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:37:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhy aren't we asking the question, "what makes a good game"?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Why aren't we asking the question, "what makes a good game"?  (Read 9203 times)
des
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2012, 10:14:43 PM »

perhaps the way you answer the question of "what makes a good game"?  is by saying what aspects of a game you like and basically mixing what you like into a magical "oh man what if they made an earthbound clone with cave story physics and it stars a future space afro samurai"

i think its the same way you approach art, you copy and implement the styles and ideas of the old masters, but ask yourself how it could "improved" in your opinion. and then you paint the painting you want to see done in this world or write the story you want to see written.

when i did a 48 hr game jam the one thing i told the programmer i wanted was the cave story jump physics, your jump alternating by how long you held the button down made the game so fair and fun to me. ff7 is awesome because it doesn't always take itself seriously, materia system was cool and EXPLORING the cool world! i love weird hidden stuff and exploring worlds that tease with hidden rooms and stuff, which is what also what made me love ooa/oos.

the NEW pixeltendo:
https://8chan.co/pxl/
Haite
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2012, 04:59:46 AM »

"oh man what if they made an earthbound clone with cave story physics and it stars a future space afro samurai"
That would be really awesome...
senorbarborito
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2012, 04:37:14 PM »

the following article doesn't exactly cover why the question isn't being asked, but since it tries to define what makes a good game, I thought I should post it here.

even if you don't agree with everything, it makes a few interesting points:
http://www.pentadact.com/index.php/2011-05-27-what-makes-games-good
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic